THE Q vs SONY A7RII

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just get serious:

Find a M9 or 240, and pick from the feast of glass of all size and price.

Both Q and A7r2 are highly restrictive platforms in comparison, to me anyway.

Hard to call the A7rII restrictive, it may not be your cup of tea but it probably more 'versatile' than the leica M!! Personally I don't even find the Q restrictive in fact I find it quite liberating

• Like 2

The M9 or 240 are both a) much more expensive and B) much more demanding of the photographer so are unlikely to be an option for those looking at the A7RII. 

I can tell you that the A7rII is not a camera for the lighthearted as just setting it up and trying to understand it's different functions are indeed 'demanding' but in a very different way to the M. To get the best out of it will probably take more actual knowledge of certain aspects of digital photography as much as the Leica M needs knowledge of other areas. They are just different beasts pretty much at the top of the pecking order in their specific fields

Do you shoot with a film camera ?

Otherwise, you should explain what a "computer-like camera" is, and why Leica digital cameras are not "computer-like".

I shoot film and digital. My point, however, is specific to digital. For me, the user experience is greatly different with a digital Leica M than a Sony RX-1, A series, etc. With a Sony, the experience seems to be technology-first, with lots of gizmos and interfaces. Even after setting up a camera, there is a need for short cuts and computerized steps to do basic "un-automated" things. In contrast, with a digital M, it seems to be more like it has always been, centered on the traditional camera experience, with technology present (of course), but not "in the way." The user experiences are so different for me in that way, and I prefer the latter.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With a Sony, the experience seems to be technology-first, with lots of gizmos and interfaces. Even after setting up a camera, there is a need for short cuts and computerized steps to do basic "un-automated" things.

I currently use a NEX-6 with M lenses and (after the initial painful setup) the shooting experience is quite similar to the M+EVF.

The NEX is actually better, as I can remap a couple buttons as I like, and the camera feels much more responsive (thanks to a faster computer  ;) ).

I think user experience is subjective matter. Experience can be learned and get used too.

Of course, user experience is a subjective matter. But, when it comes to learning about and getting used to, I think we differ. Sure, we can get used to something that doesn't well suit our preferences (and we do this all the time in life), but that doesn't mean we should settle for a such dissonance-prone outcome in a camera system. For me, Sony really didn't work. For you, it may.

I currently use a NEX-6 with M lenses and (after the initial painful setup) the shooting experience is quite similar to the M+EVF.

The NEX is actually better, as I can remap a couple buttons as I like, and the camera feels much more responsive (thanks to a faster computer ;) ).

I don't disagree, but I think this underscores how wonderfully subjective camera use is. Personally, I don't want to be mapping and remapping things on a camera (while I readily do on my Macs). And I don't find speed all that important. I guess I'm old school in a sense and want to keep things simple. It's pretty phenomenal that we have so many great options for cameras these days, from simple to complex, lower tech to higher tech, manual-oriented to automatic-oriented, etc. There's a good camera for us all; part of the fun may be finding it.

• Like 2

So I have had the A7rII for over a week now and am using it alongside my Q. They are both VERY good and competent cameras but obviously very different. I find that the Q files straight of camera are really just astoundingly good with beautiful gradation of tones, colours and very good micro-detail and need little sharpening. The Sony's files again have very good colours and gradation but even with the 42mp sensor need more sharpening in PP to liven them up. On the whole I am very happy with both and am now carrying them in a Billingham Hadley Small bag with the FE55 on the Sony and the voigtlander 15/4.5 vIII.

• Like 3

I've been using my MM cron-M 50mm/f2 for the last week most of the time, but yesterday afternoon used my Q exclusively, but then I was quad-biking through Cambodian paddy fields. There was a lot of mud flying around. The huge lens cap and the lack of crevices on the Q body were highly advantageous. The images were stonking good. Will post a few in a minute.