THE Q vs SONY A7RII

Get my A7rII tomorrow so will let you know. Anyway how can you really compare the two, one is a fixed focal length 24MP camera and the other a 42MP system camera. Take it from me the Q is incredible, a real joy to use with stunning IQ. The A7rIi is a totally different story and for a different use and though it will not be anywhere as enjoyable and intuitive to use I am sure it will excel.

Edited by viramati
  • Like 3

Weight difference: Sony with Zeiss Batis 25/2 960gm vs 640gm for Q or with lens shown Sony is 850gm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by barjohn
  • Like 6

Very different cameras.  I am sure the Q is a beauty, but for me I can say that until Leica make an M or rangefinder at least 36MP I will not be investing in any more cameras. I chose the D860 over the 240 and have never regretted it, but with this 42MP I could use my Leica lenses on this.....and that is very very tempting. 

Very different cameras.  I am sure the Q is a beauty, but for me I can say that until Leica make an M or rangefinder at least 36MP I will not be investing in any more cameras. I chose the D860 over the 240 and have never regretted it, but with this 42MP I could use my Leica lenses on this.....and that is very very tempting. 

i think you would be surprised at what the Q produces file wise.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I believe size and weight is not the important factor when deciding between the two.

It is more about different user interface, and about simple, intuitive fixed focal length camera (Q) vs a system with higher resolution, abilitiy to use different focal lengths, but more complex user interface.

• Like 1

I think the most relevant comparison would be a Q vs the A7RII with a 28mm lens attached. Megapixels are great for bigger prints but the sensor size is the same so the real test would be to view the photos side by side on a calibrated monitor. What about comparing pixel pitch, acuity and other things that are over my head? From the results I've seen so far the Sony images look pretty impressive IQ wise, but I still feel Leica is light years ahead in terms of image handling. The images coming from the Sony are about as far from a filmic look as you can get. Über digital if you will. They seem to embrace that ethos though and so do many of the photographers that swear by their cameras.

Edited by johnloumiles
  • Like 1

On raw specs you will struggle to beat the A7RII but Sony cameras always feel far too much like computers wrapped up in a pretty uncomfortable body rather than a camera designed by/for photographers.

There's not really many bad cameras around once you spend over $1k so it really boils down to what you need (especially if you shoot commercially) and what you prefer. I've dabbled with the A7x cameras but just can't bond with them even though I hugely respect how technically good they are and that means I wouldn't enjoy shooting with them and the best camera is the one you (want to) have with you.

For what it's worth, I'm currently shooting with an E-M1 whilst I wait for my Q and love the Olympus to bits, it's never going to compete with a FF sensor but it is a joy to handle.

• Like 2

Since I own both feel perhaps I could honestly answer, but am perplexed by the question and am not trying to damn with faint praise nor cast an opinion? But, they are different cameras, without being obvious, which I am sure you know the differences, the Sony is sufficiently compact, especially with a similar lens e.g. the 55 mm is very compact indeed even with the 55mm lens, but nowhere hear the size of the Q; not even close. The A7II and the Q just so different that I really do not know how to answer this? But, if I had to pick one or the other, would have to be the Sony for all of the obvious reasons!

OOOOPS, I didn't see the R, I have the A7II. But, seems the answer about the same, at least IMO.

Edited by jpalamaro

I have the q and A7ii

Image quality, both excellent.

Size; q win hands down

Choice of lenses; A7 wins

Everything else doesn't matter for me.

Which one to buy; both if you can. If you can't, of course go with the A7, cheaper,have more options and fantastic camera overall.

• Like 1

I have had my A7rII for a few hours now and it is a great piece of kit but with some horribly complicated focussing modes!!. I am sure that it will be great for want I want it  for. If I could only have one camera though without a doubt it would be the Leica Q

I have used both. Sony makes computers. Leica makes cameras.

Not quite true really. Sony makes computers and cameras but their cameras are a bit like computers though they are learning to make better photographer's cameras. Leica make cameras and in a way are now learning how to make computers and with the Q I feel they have got the mix about right.

Without a doubt the A7rII will be a incredible image making machine but in no way does it have the manual/analogue features of the Q

• Like 2

This is essentially my dilemma, and my resounding choice is the Leica Q. I spent an hour with it last week at the Leica store. The Q blew me away. Currently, I own a Nikon D800e with the 85/1.4 G and the 24/1.4 G. The weight and the bulk when traveling are an enormous hassle. I have had it with weight and bulk. 

Given my choices, the image quality of the Q  off the charts including the creamy bokeh. Ming Thein's photos at f/2 had beautiful separation. Also, unless one blow up photos greater than 8 X10, the 35mm and 50 mm options on the Leica Q  should be perfectly fine. Coming off of two film M6 TTL's (years ago) with numerous lenses, I am very happy to getting back to "simple and light."  The A7rII is really a heavier, multi-lens, piece of equipment when compared to the Q. Yes, the specs on the A7rII are utterly stellar,  it is still heavy and bulky, as well as a system.  It is not a stand alone. 

Great "old school" Leica photographers made due with just a 35mm lenses. Although I don't have that ability (or anything in their vicinity), I am genuinely confident that the end results will be quite pleasing to an "old school" dilettante such as myself. 

• Like 1

Weight difference: Sony with Zeiss Batis 25/2 960gm vs 640gm for Q or with lens shown Sony is 850gm

That is actually a Zeiss ZA 24/1.8 for APS-C :wacko:

Also the comparison is unfair, as you need to align cameras by their LCD, not the viewfinder rubber eyepiece.

Well the A7rII body itself certainly isn't bulky but it is pretty heavy. I can fit the Q and A7rII with FE55/1.8 in a Billingham Hadley small bag so it's pretty compact. After a few hours use I am finding the files from the sony to be very good and the FE55 is a special lens. If the WATE performs well on it I could have a really good travel/Documentary kit. 

Edited by viramati