T plus legacy lens WiFi experiments.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm currently photographing a wasps' nest in my garden using the 'T' with a Canon FD 200mm macro lens: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

… but need to get closer and also to 'freeze' the action with flash. Above image was taken using ambient light at high ISO and was a lucky shot when the wasp 'paused' … they're usually moving/working very quickly.  The T should be able to produce images using the 200mm macro lens with an apparent magnification of 1.5x life size - but that would be too ambitious unless a wasp stayed motionless to enable macro-stacking a head shot. With a view to using flash in my garden and also 'keeping my distance' from the nest I decided to experiment with the T's wifi mode in my kitchen ...

… cont'd 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

continuation … 

… thus set up the T with the Canon FD 200mm macro lens plus Canon ML-1 Macrolite 

… and using the WiFi function managed to take a series of images of the shark tooth fossil at various apertures … thus 'manually calibrating' the ML-1 Macrolite for future garden use.

... cont'd 

… continuation 

The following pics show the apparatus in use and with my iPad Mini showing the WiFi live view.

Initially the experiment seemed be to progressing fairly smoothly:

… but note in the last image after stopping the lens down to the taking aperture the iPad screen 'dims' considerably.  This does not occur when using live view via the T's Visoflex or when using the T's monitor screen … because the T 'amplifies' the live view image. In WiFi mode there appears to be little or no amplification. 

However, it's possible to focus at open aperture … and then stop down the lens to the taking aperture … and provided the flashgun output is sufficient and the correct lens aperture is set it should produce a correctly exposed image.

But this anomaly does illustrate one reason why an AF 'T' dedicated macro lens would be welcomed with open arms by wildlife close-up photography enthusiasts. Not only because manual stop down (we've moved on a bit since the 60s !!) wouldn't be necessary … but also because fast autofocus would increase the 'in focus' success rate.

Fact is, the T zoom lenses just are not capable of focusing close enough for relatively high magnification insect photography.

Maybe I could fudge an AF macro capability by adding a couple of ancient 'Elpro 2'  4.92 diopter supplementary close-up lenses to the T 55-135mm zoom lens … but it would be a very expensive experiment.  I have no plans to spend c.£1300 on a new 'T'zoom lens in the hope that it might work with Elpro lenses … and at the present time the lens is not available for hire. 

I have succeeded with a similar modification to the Leica XV and taken life size insect images ... and maybe I could use the XV for the wasp nest project ... but it does not have a WiFi mode and the XV would be far too close to the nest for comfort and safe imaging. 

I'd have the same problem if using e.g. a manual focus Leica R 100mm macro lens. And in a wasp nest imaging situation (or similar) a 100mm lens would be closer to the subject than the 200mm lens … and when manually focusing my hand would be rather too close to the nest. I could wear gloves but then would not be able to use the iPad touch screen … I've tried and gloves are not compatible with touch screens. 

The wasp nest experiment is not going to as straightforward as anticipated.

... cont'd 

continuation  ...

Anyway, I persevered and seemed to be learning by my mistakes how to use the WiFi facility for the first time … until I downloaded and checked the actual series of WiFi images on my iMac and also checked the number of images on my iPad. 

… unfortunately the T's Wi Fi mode does not enable loading DNG files … so only have 2MP resolution JPEGS :(

Should have read the instruction manual first!  

Lesson learnt … but seems to be a spark of hope that DNG files might be possible when using the iPad (but not viewable on the iPad) because the instruction manual states:

"To access the original data you should connect the camera with a USB cable or insert the SD card into an SD card reader"

I'm no IT techie and anything new to learn 'IT-wise' (or 'IT- unwise' in my case) gives me a panic attack! 

Does the instruction manual advice mean that when using the T's WiFi mode, if I load an SD card into a card reader and then plug it into the camera via a Micro USB cable, then the DNG files will automatically be loaded to the SD card?

Have to confess I do not have a Micro USB cable as I bought my 'T' secondhand without the cable … so have been using a card reader to download images to my iMac.

When I downloaded the images via the card reader I first noticed there were no DNG files … then the penny dropped. 

Any advice to enable creating DNG files whilst using e.g. a remote device for live view for my wasp nest project will be very much appreciated. 

Thanks for reading

Best wishes

dunk

BTW … if anyone is contemplating using a legacy flashgun with the 'T' or any other modern camera, please check the flashgun's trigger voltage first to avoid damaging the camera. Also check that the   positive terminal is in the middle contact of the hot shoe. 

I'm also experimenting with a Metz 28 CS-2 slave flash with the 'T' which enables 'off-camera' flashlight illumination with exposure compensation; it works very well - so well that I've ordered an additional s/h Metz 28 CS-2 so can use both in tandem. The flashgun is very cost effective because it can be purchased for c. £30 secondhand … and the plus or minus 3 EV in 0.3 EV increments is so useful for fine tuning exposures. Another advantage when using the Metz 28 CS-2 slave flash(es) is that the off camera flash is triggered by the T's built-in 'pop-up' flash .. and being slave operated the T's accessory shoe is free for use with the Viso EVF. 

dunk

Excellent summation Dunk.

I've played a bit with the slave version of triggering as the use of a hot-shoe mounted contact system precludes the use of the Viso (or EVF2 in my X-Vario). It works well, but I can see that it could also be problematic up close with the camera flash maybe being too bright due it's proximity.

I also echo the thoughts on "stop-down" use, it is the biggest bane of using the various legacy lenses, even my M lenses. Roughly compose, focus at max aperture, stop down, final compose, expose. All takes time and with any form of movement subjuct wise, no good.

Keep at it, just ensure that the hob-top is completely off before using it as the macro table.

Gary

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Excellent summation Dunk.

I've played a bit with the slave version of triggering as the use of a hot-shoe mounted contact system precludes the use of the Viso (or EVF2 in my X-Vario). It works well, but I can see that it could also be problematic up close with the camera flash maybe being too bright due it's proximity.

I also echo the thoughts on "stop-down" use, it is the biggest bane of using the various legacy lenses, even my M lenses. Roughly compose, focus at max aperture, stop down, final compose, expose. All takes time and with any form of movement subjuct wise, no good.

Keep at it, just ensure that the hob-top is completely off before using it as the macro table.

Gary

That's the advantage of the Metz 28 CS-2's flash exposure compensation … once calibrated for close-ups by judicious tuning via the EV compensation facility in 0.3 EV stops, it works fine. 

Best wishes

dunk

Tried my +3 and +5 Marumis on the 55-135 and they work fine at the short end ...... but with the +5 in particular at the 135 end images get progressively more soft and lack definition.

Not sure if this happens with the ELPRO's as well, but it is a documented issue (on the web anyway) when using some of these macro lenses on longer tele lenses.

The 55-135 is a superb lens, but just a bit too big to cart about on holiday..... and defeats the whole point of having a compact camera .....

Edited by thighslapper

Tried my +3 and +5 Marumis on the 55-135 and they work fine at the short end ...... but with the +5 in particular at the 135 end images get progressively more soft and lack definition.

Not sure if this happens with the ELPRO's as well, but it is a documented issue (on the web anyway) when using some of these macro lenses on longer tele lenses.

The 55-135 is a superb lens, but just a bit too big to cart about on holiday..... and defeats the whole point of having a compact camera .....

Thank you … I have been looking for a secondhand 55-135mm but if achromatic c/u lenses do not work so well at the 135mm setting (where there's potential for highest magnification) then maybe it's not a viable proposition for insect photography.

However, Christine Widdall's article ref her experiences using a Marumi achromatic c/u lens on a Pentax 50-135mm lens suggest that the +3 lens gives good results: http://christinewiddall.co.uk/marumi-achromat/

As an AF system camera the 'T' is still lacking in the prime lenses dept - and a macro lens would be so useful.  Probably a waste of time to keep mentioning this fact because Leica is likely to introduce a 'T' macro eventually - I do not know of any system camera manufacturer who has not introduced an AF macro lens. If Leica have not addressed the anomaly then it could be a long time before a 'T' macro is available ... but if they have an AF 'T' macro on the way I just wish they'd get a move on and announce it.  

Best wishes

dunk

Dunk,

On my Sony system the jpg is all you can see on the remote control tablet but the camera will store raw and jpg.onto the SD card if set to do so and these raws can be downloaded in the usual way. I expect that the T is the same.

The raw files are available in Lightroom in the normal way. I convert to DNG on import though that isn't actually necessary, on a Leica this wouldn't be necessary.

If the stopped down picture is too dim on the tablet I can only suggest manual adjustment of the tablet brightness, a bit clumsy but should work.

Michael

Dunk,

On my Sony system the jpg is all you can see on the remote control tablet but the camera will store raw and jpg.onto the SD card if set to do so and these raws can be downloaded in the usual way. I expect that the T is the same.

The raw files are available in Lightroom in the normal way. I convert to DNG on import though that isn't actually necessary, on a Leica this wouldn't be necessary.

If the stopped down picture is too dim on the tablet I can only suggest manual adjustment of the tablet brightness, a bit clumsy but should work.

Michael

Hi Michael, On the 'T' I set the file format to DNG and JPG but when used in WiFi mode no DNG files appear to be saved to the SD card. Immediately prior to using WiFi, DNG files and JPG were stored on the SD card … but appears that after switching to WiFi, the DNG files for whatever reason are not saved to the card or to the camera's internal memory. The instruction manual is not so clearly worded regarding WiFi and DNG files. 

Best wishes

dunk

Dunk, again this on Sony but a similar concept may apply. To save in raw + jpg using remote control you have to set the app to do so using a menu buried in the app. Just setting the camera quality is insufficient as the app which will be set to jpg only will override the camera setting.

It took me some time to sort out the first time.

Michael

Dunk, again this on Sony but a similar concept may apply. To save in raw + jpg using remote control you have to set the app to do so using a menu buried in the app. Just setting the camera quality is insufficient as the app which will be set to jpg only will override the camera setting.

It took me some time to sort out the first time.

Michael

TTBOMK no buried menus . And cannot use the T camera with iPad unless have WiFi connection … not possible to set up personal WiFi Hotspot on my iPad as it's not a cellular model.

Regards

dunk