Best flash for Leica Q

I'm also all in for the SF-40. It seems like a good size. Takes AA batteries and not AAA. Full TTL AND manual control. I purchased a Fuji EF-X20 and I returned it. Yes, nice and small, but too limited and uses AAA's. Not the right compromises for me.

• Like 1

I also got the SF40. Perfect for the Q imo, nice size, way more versatile than the 24D, got TTL and nice manual controls. 

The Fuji EF-X20 got some quirks that gets very old very quick, the recycle time is horrible and the indicator lamp is pretty much impossible to see outdoors, resulting in a lot of shots where you fire before the flash is ready. This alone will give you higher blood pressure than what's healthy :p

i at least have only good things to say about the SF40, if you are comfortable with shooting flash in manual mode or auto and don't need TTL just get yourself a Nissin i40 (its the same flash as SF40 just without TTL and leica branding) 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've ordered one of these - http://www.lightpixlabs.com/pages/flashq

Funny

I'm using the Profoto air remote on my Q and it works perfectly

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm pleased with the EF-X20

The recycle time is slower with fuller power shots, however, given the Q can sync at 1/2000th, I can usually use it for a little fill flash at minimum power, thus faster recycle times.

I don't really use it to light up a room or typical flash type shooting, just for daytime fill.  Works great in this regard and lets you take full advantage of the leaf shutter in the Q

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think Leica needs to bring out a new small version to match the camera in size. Something sleek and designed for amateurs rather than big bulky professional ones

i agree there is no sense to carry a small camera with a flash bigger then camera itself

small flash (perfect for fill in) would be ideal

• Like 1

i agree there is no sense to carry a small camera with a flash bigger then camera itself

small flash (perfect for fill in) would be ideal

Leica have a small red dot branded version of the Metz flash for the Q which is quite small and tiny.  The downside is that its like 3x the price and doesn't really do much with regards for bounce or tilt, nor does it have manual controls.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the SF-40 and cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it work in the TTL mode. The manual says this is same as the "A" mode, but allows flash compensation using the rear dial on the flash instead of the flash compensation in the menu on the camera. I've tried it with both the camera flash "A" mode selected in the menu as well as the camera Flash "ON" mode. No difference.

Anyone else found out how to make TTL mode work?

BTW, The manual mode and "A" mode on the flash seem to work as expected and provides good fill flash. 

Overall, I'm happy with the SF-40. It's the right size for the Q and has sufficient power for strong fill. I also like that it uses AA batteries.

Thanks.

I'm not seeing any difference between TTL and "A" settings on the SF-40 when used on the Q in flash "Auto" mode. Both modes work well (the same) with compensation set in the camera. Manual works exactly as expected.

Anyone else seeing this same operation using the SF-40?

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to try the Art Fong flash diffuser on the SF-40. It works. It's made for my Canon 600ex-RT flash, yet the Velcro strap does tighten up pretty well on the SF-40. I think it is usable for weddings. Possibly portraits. Not great I vertical mode. I do like the soft light better than the straight flash. Anyway. FYI.

Vertical mode. It's not quite perfect. The weight of the diffuser wants to pull the flash away from vertical.

To those who have purchased the Flash Q: are you satisfied with it with the Q? 

I have the SF 26, 24D and 58.

I will keep only the 26 and 58. The 26 is very small and fit the bill of transportability, however, I use only flash as fill-in during daylight but not that often in fact... , You have to plan to use it. The 58 is more functional with its ability to work at any speed (HSS). Ratio power management is also more refined on the 58, which allows to work close to wide open with high speed. If not I use ND filters to keep the lens open. Note also that i never use the flash on the hot-shoe, I have a nikon cable that is compatible for the Q and the MF back and custom cable for the M. Indirect light is always better...

Here is one picture with the 58 indirect flash with the M and 50APO wide open. Just to simulate the sun when it was already gone...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericduprat/14998458373/in/dateposted-public/

Edited by kikouyou
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the SF 26, 24D and 58.

I will keep only the 26 and 58. The 26 is very small and fit the bill of transportability, however, I use only flash as fill-in during daylight but not that often in fact... , You have to plan to use it. The 58 is more functional with its ability to work at any speed (HSS). Ratio power management is also more refined on the 58, which allows to work close to wide open with high speed. If not I use ND filters to keep the lens open. Note also that i never use the flash on the hot-shoe, I have a nikon cable that is compatible for the Q and the MF back and custom cable for the M. Indirect light is always better...

Here is one picture with the 58 indirect flash with the M and 50APO wide open. Just to simulate the sun when it was already gone...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericduprat/14998458373/in/dateposted-public/

Which is the Nikon cable that works on the Q??  8))