Best flash for Leica Q

Went for a walk today, took my SF-40 flash along to see how it performs.

Well first thing I noticed is that the flash didn't fire all the time, worked out it was because the flash mode on the camera was set to AUTO - very point and shoot of it :) so happy I'm not testing this at a paid event..

Here's some of my photos from the walk, bare flash sat on the hotshoe.

26960898241_c4af36b025_b.jpgSF-40 Flash Workout by dancook1982, on Flickr

26995937456_b73a2bd3f5_b.jpgSF-40 Flash Workout by dancook1982, on Flickr

26755386440_132ec5eb96_b.jpgSF-40 Flash Workout by dancook1982, on Flickr

26995939566_679a7ce1e0_b.jpgSF-40 Flash Workout by dancook1982, on Flickr

26425918703_ec640a22e1_b.jpgSF-40 Flash Workout by dancook1982, on Flickr

then i took it off camera with a TTL cord to try a bit of 'Bruce Gilden'

26754569010_070b3b905f_b.jpgIn your face flash :) by dancook1982, on Flickr

• Like 4

These are very nice examples of fill flash making the subject of interest "pop". I always though it a little odd when people said that you don't need a flash with the Q due to its excellent low light performance. I took too many pictures with my new Q that showed blown out highlights and shadowed subjects (notably a set in a restaurant with a window in the background). At that point I purchased the SF26. I know there are a lot of complains about this flash compared to some of its bigger siblings like the SF40, but I have found that in fill flash situations like yours it does fine. I love the fact that it is so small and light - perfect compliment to the Q. I carry the flash and camera together (the flash fits into a side pocket) in one lightweight case: the Lowepro TLZ1

Edited by Orguy

These are very nice examples of fill flash making the subject of interest "pop". I always though it a little odd when people said that you don't need a flash with the Q due to its excellent low light performance. I took too many pictures with my new Q that showed blown out highlights and shadowed subjects (notably a set in a restaurant with a window in the background). At that point I purchased the SF26. I know there are a lot of complains about this flash compared to some of its bigger siblings like the SF40, but I have found that in fill flash situations like yours it does fine. I love the fact that it is so small and light - perfect compliment to the Q. I carry the flash and camera together (the flash fits into a side pocket) in one lightweight case: the Lowepro TLZ1

Indeed, great ISO handling is no substitute for bad light.

• Like 2

i bought the SF-40 anyway, I have been able to achieve what I planned. The sf-40 will be a fine choice for general use too.

13226973_10157172748770227_3550543252761

13221036_10157169274760227_1011072607918

I saw the studio type portraits you posted in the Q image thread, obviously works great!  I assume it has to be all manual settings, though I guess you could set the SF40 to a nonTTL auto.  The fill on the first one is really subtle, it took the highlight in her eyes to convince me there was any.  More on the second, both well done.    

The outdoor pics have convinced me that there's likely an SF40 in my future.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I saw the studio type portraits you posted in the Q image thread, obviously works great!  I assume it has to be all manual settings, though I guess you could set the SF40 to a nonTTL auto.  The fill on the first one is really subtle, it took the highlight in her eyes to convince me there was any.  More on the second, both well done.    

The outdoor pics have convinced me that there's likely an SF40 in my future.

Thanks, yes it will be all manual settings.

I have been to comic con three times before, the last time I went I was using a 5dm3 with the zeiss distagon 35mm 1.4 and 2 x 600 speedlites and the beauty dish - that was a heavy setup.. my results were as such

https://www.flickr.com/gp/62198876@N02/o3N81W

Taken in busy halls, so using camera shutter and aperture to remove ambient light so I could light the subject only.

My new Leica setup, with a plan for wide-angle portraits like you saw.. is what I will be doing when I go on 29th May.

26371236004_ff557748d0.jpgLouise by dancook1982, on Flickr

27004704955_95b5b20497.jpgCartoon Lou by dancook1982, on Flickr

• Like 3

I purchased the SF26 and have been pleased so far but I rarely end up using it as I prefer available light. It's nice and small though, which I like a lot.

I agree, I also prefer available light when possible. But look at how good the fill flash on Dancooks' pix above look! The women just pop right out of the frame (I especially like the one with the horse). It really enhances them.

Regarding the SF26 size: I can walk around with the flash in the hotshoe and notice that the entire setup is barely bigger and heavier than the camera alone. Compared to my previous 20 years of experience with a bigger flash connected to a DSLR it is just so much more comfortable. Sure a bigger flash might do a bit more, but this gets too be a slippery slope. You keep upping the stuff until you end up with a big DSLR and 10's of pounds of gear. A friend of mine showed up with her Nikon and zooms and was lugging around maybe 20 lbs of stuff to take pictures of lower image quality than I could get with the Leica. Now my camera +flash fits in one neoprene Lowepro case which easily fits in a fanny pack or backpack till I need it. And then camera +flash can go around my neck without any strain for miles of hiking. I've never had it this good.

• 1 month later...

I have been looking into flash for my Q and chatted with a pro friend who has tried various combos - he concluded that the SF-40 is the way to go - has bounce capability also. I have seen Greg Williams with a SF26 and Fuji EF-X20 but forgot to ask him what's best. 

• Like 1

I have been looking into flash for my Q and chatted with a pro friend who has tried various combos - he concluded that the SF-40 is the way to go - has bounce capability also. I have seen Greg Williams with a SF26 and Fuji EF-X20 but forgot to ask him what's best. 

• Thanks 1

I just received a budget flash from Adorama.com that does most of what I need on the Q.  Like the Q itself, this flash performs well when the photographer knows what they are doing.

It is automatic, not TTL.  You set the flash to wide angle (Q is 28mm), and I set it for ISO 100 and f2.8.

I then set the Q to ISO 100, f2.8 and a shutter of 1/125.

After only a dozen or so images, they seem to be very consistent if maybe a bit over exposed.  Moved the aperture down a bit and corrected the flash exposure.

Haven't gone outside to test fill-flash but, hey!  This is how we did it before TTL was invented.

Now the kicker:  US$36.95 gives you a lot of light for very little money!

Check out Adorama.com and search for adorama Auto Bounce Flash, Non-Dedicated Flash with a GN of 82' (ISO100)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, works very well. Gets the flash off the camera and syncs well. I use the SF24D on manual and sit the flash on a polarois pistol grip/tripod as follows.

I checked their website but not sure which one will work with Q.. the product page didn't mention leica. I just got a SF40, which one shall I get? Does it support TTL and HSS? Can't seem to find a FAQ or inquiry email address....

• 1 month later...

To those who have purchased the Flash Q: are you satisfied with it with the Q?

Yes, this is a very helpful item.

I use the Flash Q with a Nissin D700. Set the camera to M, 1/125 an f8. Flash set on M 1/8 left hand, camera right hand.

No TTl and no A, only M.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I am considering buying a used SF26 for my Q. My understanding is that I will be able to use in-camera exposure compensation to adjust the output power on SF26 on top of what is set by TTL. I now have a couple of questions:

1) Can the SF26 output adjustment only be done via the "flash exposure compensation" within the menu, or can it also be done using the exposure compensation dial (obviously assuming that aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are already set at fixed values)?

2) Does this feature (i.e., flash output power adjustment using in-camera exposure compensation) require Firmware ver 1.1 on SF26, or would it work with Firmware ver 1.0 too? I read somewhere that Firmware ver 1.1 for SF26 enabled this feature for M-series cameras, but I am not sure about the Q, and hence this question. Unfortunately SF26 apparently is not user-upgradeable and would have to be shipped back to Leica for FW upgrade! So I want to make sure if there is anything on ver 1.1 upgrade that would have implications for the Q.

Thanks... 

• 1 year later...