What lens to get??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed, as I said, I have tried Leica lenses on my Canon M. 

The lens throws light onto the sensor, so as long as you can find an adaptor to hold the lens on the body, there are many combinations of camera and lens which can work. 

Or stick some tin foil over the lens aperture and make a pinhole lens! 

Edited by earleygallery

Curiosity got the better of me.  You can look at my gallery to see an example  photo on my T with a very old Leica R 35mm Summicron lens.  Works!  I wasn't going for the best photo but just a quick shot of this maple tree.  These you can find used and cheap on Ebay.  If one wants a fixed lens for the T this is an inexpensive option with great quality.  Also, not heavy.  Only negative I see is makes for a bulky funny looking combo.  I certainly won't use it since have M lenses.  But this old R lens is my favorite lens on my Canon 5D. 

Dear Friends,

Thank you for the very lively discussion. Its awesome that so many combinations can be possible. Also appreciate all the sharing of the gear/setup that is used... it is an eye opener for a newbie like myself. For me, what I realised is that there is real no right or wrong and each set-up has its own merits and cons but instead of looking at the faults, you guys have harnessed the capabilities to you individual setting/scene/style... so I thank you all for this lesson!

Ultimately, I have yet make my purchase. Will go try out the lenses and hopefully have a slightly better "feeling" to which one. gotta take the plunge and i can't wait... will update again once I make my purchase  :)

marh 

• Like 1

I just went through the exact same quandry.  

I was considering the 50/2 cron versus the T Super Vario tele zoom.  Wanted one or the other mainly to use mainly for portraits.  I initially thought having the short end of the tele zoom (55mm) at 3.5 would buy me an f: stop or 2 over the standard zoom at the long end (5.6) - which would let me operate in lower (enough) light, and, like you, I initially thought the AF was a big advantage.

However - I don't shoot long tele much.  Like you, it's mainly family portraits, street scenes, landscapes - so the long end is a waste for me (and it's a rather big lens).

On the other hand, with the cron - the bokeh really is quite amazing.  It's *very* easy to focus with the EVF (that's a key point that was made above - you do need the EVF).  F2 gives you a low-light, shallow depth-of-field med-tele portrait lens.  That lens is biting sharp and has amazing character.  It really can create art.

The cron was pulling me in...

Then I finally realized - the T lens can *only* be used on a T.  An investment in M glass is reusable on other Leica's or Sony's, Fuji's etc...  That's a big thing to consider.

So, I pulled the trigger on a used cron and I am blown away.  The shallow depth of field possibilities offer an entirely different creative spectrum for you to pursue.

You just have to realize it's really a 75mm lens on the T.  It works for me - I just take 2 steps back... 

I also have an M- Macro adaptor - OMG... That's quite the combo with the cron if you enjoy macro photography.  I have no regrets.  MF slows you down only just a bit - because the AF on the T isn't a speed demon to begin with.  You can stop the lens down and zone focus if you need to nail shots quickly. 

You *can* manually focus T lenses btw.  There are 2 ways:  Either press and hold the shutter button while turning the focusing collar (but it's without magnification) - or, Change the Focus Mode to manual using the menu (or you can assign AF/MF on the left knob).

I would suggest that you will need to learn to MF anyway with the T because AF does sometimes hunt in low light - even with the 23 (which is also a great lens). 

Good luck.  Maybe getting a used cron and the EVF is the way to go...  They do keep their value so you can always recover your cost if you keep the lens in the same condition.

Hope this is helpful.  Cheers

Edited by Guest

I just went through the exact same quandry.  

I was considering the 50/2 cron versus the T Super Vario tele zoom.  Wanted one or the other mainly to use mainly for portraits.  I initially thought having the short end of the tele zoom (55mm) at 3.5 would buy me an f: stop or 2 over the standard zoom at the long end (5.6) - which would let me operate in lower (enough) light, and, like you, I initially thought the AF was a big advantage.

However - I don't shoot long tele much.  Like you, it's mainly family portraits, street scenes, landscapes - so the long end is a waste for me (and it's a rather big lens).

On the other hand, with the cron - the bokeh really is quite amazing.  It's *very* easy to focus with the EVF (that's a key point that was made above - you do need the EVF).  F2 gives you a low-light, shallow depth-of-field med-tele portrait lens.  That lens is biting sharp and has amazing character.  It really can create art.

The cron was pulling me in...

Then I finally realized - the T lens can *only* be used on a T.  An investment in M glass is reusable on other Leica's or Sony's, Fuji's etc...  That's a big thing to consider.

So, I pulled the trigger on a used cron and I am blown away.  The shallow depth of field possibilities offer an entirely different creative spectrum for you to pursue.

You just have to realize it's really a 75mm lens on the T.  It works for me - I just take 2 steps back... 

I also have an M- Macro adaptor - OMG... That's quite the combo with the cron if you enjoy macro photography.  I have no regrets.  MF slows you down only just a bit - because the AF on the T isn't a speed demon to begin with.  You can stop the lens down and zone focus if you need to nail shots quickly. 

You *can* manually focus T lenses btw.  There are 2 ways:  Either press and hold the shutter button while turning the focusing collar (but it's without magnification) - or, Change the Focus Mode to manual using the menu (or you can assign AF/MF on the left knob).

I would suggest that you will need to learn to MF anyway with the T because AF does sometimes hunt in low light - even with the 23 (which is also a great lens). 

Good luck.  Maybe getting a used cron and the EVF is the way to go...  They do keep their value so you can always recover your cost if you keep the lens in the same condition.

Hope this is helpful.  Cheers

Some excellent points!  I will just add if you can find a 35mm summicron m lens used, is another good option.  My older one which is non Aspherical is excellent and super lightweight and fits more compact than the 50.  I did recently purchase a new 35mm Summicron Aspherical as well, and it's slightly heavier and longer but a little sharper than the older version.  Don't be afraid to buy older lenses.  They are made well to last forever and hold their value.  Sometimes they appreciate.  Treat them like little precious jewels.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

wow... thought that I was the only one going through this... feel much better to know I'm not the only one.

Thats an interesting combo with the macro adaptor and the 50mm summicron... I thought it only works for the 90mm. Learnt something new... nice advantage to have a 1.5 crop factor on the T... 

quite agree the AF is a bit slow and I even can't nail my shots some of the times... but in a sense thats what Leica is about... its supposed to make you slow down a tad bit and make you think about how you want to compose and execute the shot... starting to realize that the more I use my camera

Thanks for the tip about using manual focus while half-pressing the shutter.. neat!

marh

Interesting...

But does the AF not comes into action when you press and hold the shutter button? 

And if you hold the shutter button and 'override' the AF, will it not damage the AF system?

OK, here is another point of view:

Even though I own several Leica M lenses and an adapter I do use mainly the T AF lenses on the T.

If I wanted to manual focus I would prefer to use the Leica M body, and when I use the Leica T I like the T lenses quite a bit.

The flexibility of the Telezoom is something I do enjoy as well (specially for images of the kids during summer outside), even though that particular lenses is the one where I am not 100% happy with AF speed. (the 11-23 and 18-56 focus pretty fast)

I can see how a M lens in the 50-90mm range could make a nice portrait lens though. I might check that out a couple of times as well and see how it works for me.

Yeah - that manual focus over-ride (by half-pressing the shutter) is handy when the T's AF sometimes hunts.  It's much quicker than having to go into the menu to switch to MF and then starting all over.  

And, unlike the X-Vario (where you have to enter into MF by spinning the collar from the closest focus distance), instead with the T you are fine tuning the focus ring from the point where the auto focus detected - so often you are close to the right focus point to begin with.  (The X Vario is nonetheless a very special and most under-rated camera.) 

Btw, the above points about a used 35 cron (or even a summarit  - as both would become a 50mm on the T), and the point about the versatility of the tele zoom with kids - are both excellent points.  When kids are on the playing field, or on a stage - you will yearn for a tele.  

My son is now married, and he just became a dad - hence part of my interest in a 'portrait' lens is for my new grandson...  The tele zoom will come next (LOL).

My Leica dealer was right: "It's a deep, dark path when you get into Leica glass."  You will want them all!

Have a great day!

Cheers

Hi Friends...

Thanks for the many opinions and suggestions... indeed very refreshing!

Wanted to give an update.... I have finally made my purchase.... and I went with the 50mm f2 summicron!!

What a lovely lens... definitely manual focus needs some practise... or rather lots of practise.... especially for someone like me who have hardly used manual focus before.... and yes... the EVF is very handy to execute the focusing... will follow with some images soon!

marh

Good for you! It's a very beautiful lens. Your decision reinforces that I made the right choice (since our anticipated uses seemed similar).

I am having a blast with my Summicron and am really loving to throw the background out of focus with F/2. At the same time, it makes me appreciate how wonderful and versatile the T lenses that I have are (18-56 zoom & 23/2 cron). They have a similar color signature & micro contrast, and are equally sharp and optically perfect (only with less depth of field control).

Best of luck with your new addition.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, long overdue but here are a few pictures I took...very happy with the results!

"Twisted"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

"On a bed of leaves"

"happy birthday Singapore"

• Like 3

Thanks math for updating  us and for the photos. Now, a few weeks after your purchase it would be interesting on your observations about the use of this lens on the T , I guess you bought the 50 (which I already have and makes the T interesting for me). How is focusing indifferent lights? And with the lens stopped down (let say F8 or 11) ? 

robert

PS: of course congrats on your purchase !

Hey Robert,

thank thanks!

but gotta to clarify that I am definitely no expert or anything... just a casual guy who likes his toys..haha.

To be honest, I have had some problems with focusing. Initially I found out its because my vision is not perfect and so I made adjustments to the diopter. Works well now.

For static shots, its great even at f8. For action shots, I use f8/16 with the intention to get my subject clear at the expense of bokeh but it still work out especially if you manage to close in on the subject. 

As for low light, it was tough for me as when using f2, I cant nail the focus more than half the time. Even at f2 I get slow shutter speeds and I usually pump up the ISO too and that results in a grainy kind of view in the EVF.. this doesn't make it easier for focusing too... I have tried some f8/11 under low lights but was underexposed (-2/-3) in a attempt to nail the focusing and post-process for the exposure later...images not sharp although I think the exposure could be corrected

Had any similar experiences?

marh

• Like 1

Hi marh, I have not (yet) a T which I'm seriously consider. i think in a couple of week I can visit a shop where try the camera. But I know it will be not a good test, light in a shop is always acceptable, you can focus on object in the shop (not moving) , in my opinion it is not a real life test. This is why I'm curious about other people experience. Maybe it is easier for me coming from 40 years (maybe more, sigh!) of photography, many of them with manual focus lenses!

And having had in the last 4 years a "slow focus" camera, I wouldn't like to get another slow camera! Ok, I'll try something...

robert

PS: I also noticed that in the thread with T photos most of the photo (very good photos) are of static subject...

Edited by robert blu

Hi Robert,

Understand better your concern. With your experience, I believe focusing would not be a big issue then  :lol:

When you mean 'slow' I assume you are mentioning about the camera system itself?

I do note a slight delay in between capturing images (even when in jpeg only) via the EVF... I use a scandisk extreme card..

If you get the T lenses, the autofocus is not the fastest but it maybe good enough for your needs. 

Images are already great straight out from the camera as many people have demonstrated.

Agree with your observations on the static shots... with the T lenses I struggle to get good action shots... I believe with manual focusing, it is better and hope to develop my skill further. 

You seem concerned about low light and may want to test out the ISO... for me 1600 is still good enough...

Wished I could be of more help! 

marh

• Like 1