What lens to get??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys!

I currently own the T 23mm summicron and the T system and is the only Leica equipment that I own.

So I just found out from my dealer that the 12% discount for the T lenses ends on the 31st!! I definitely want to own another lens, it is after all an interchangeable lens system..

In my mind, I am looking at getting the M 50mm summicron f2 or the T 18-56/55-135. Unfortunately I can only get one. But at least I am fortunate to be able to afford one  :)

Here's what I am thinking...

Well, for the 50mm, it is a manual lens. Its a bit counter-intuitive to get a manual lens for an autofocus system... the image quality is awesome as mentioned by many... if i get the right shot.  With the T, I sometimes even struggle even to get the right focus... how can I manage a manual lens... am I wrong? 

For the T lenses, I guess the 18-56 is general and covers all sorts of pictures... and the zoom lens can cover some portraits and further objects

The images I take are mostly of my family. I think that the T lenses are probably a safe bet. Although I know f2 would be better for those low light shots but with manual focus, I will may miss those 'moments'. 

Perhaps I am over thinking things..This argument keeps going on in my mind and hope you guys can shed some light/experiences! Would really like to hear from you all

Many thanks

marh

Get the A/F zoom. Then find a nice 50mm Canon f1.4 add a 6-bit adapter and use that for the portraits you feel could use the "glow" of an older lens.

Fine advice coming from me of course, I don't have the zoom, but I do have the 50 Canon.

Gary

Hey Gary,

Hmm, thats a good point you brought up. Yes, I do own a 50mm Nikon f1.4 from many years back. What kind of adaptor should I be looking for? Do you mean using a M-adaptor (to fit the T) then adding another adaptor (M to nikon) on top of that to fit my nikon lens?

marh

Marh,

I was (hopefully) being realistic, in two directions. The A/F zoom is a good all-rounder (I don't own it, but is similar to my X-Vario I suppose). It would cover mostly anything I guess.

The 50mm legacy way would give a bit of fun, and a different result. In my case the Canon (or my M lenses) fit via the M to T adapter. I like this style as the lens back-focus is short, certainlty shorter than the Nikkors etc, simpy as the Nikkors etc were made for an SLR, and have at least 44mm or so of back-focus. (versus the Leica M of about 28mm)

I have also used my Leica R 50mm Summicron from my SL, on the T, wonderful combo, with the slight caveat that it is the same as the Nikkors, it is "larger" than the Canon 50mm, once you factor in the adapter. With the R lens, I used the M-T adapter, then an e bay Canon EOS to M adapter, then a Leica R to Canon EOS adapter. Circuitous I know, but I run most or all via the EOS fitting, as this mount adapts to virtually everything.

I see on e bay though, Nikon AI to Leica T adapters (as well as R to T, and others), so if you wanted to minimize the adapters, this could be an option.

Another option: the Canon 50mm F1.2 that our friend "glass" is selling on Clubsnap.

Gary

Edited by gbealnz

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the insight and being realistic! Interesting about the back-focus... i didn't know anything of that sort... thanks for the education!

You have some very nice combos... advantages of a canon system! Hope to grow my family of bodies and lenses too.

May very well check out the Nikon to T adaptors and yes, I did check out that ad in clubsnap! thanks for "poisoning" me  :)

marh

I don't have the T but I do have a Canon M which is very similar (same sensor size etc) and I have the 22mm prime and 18-55 zoom.

The prime is my preferred lens as it's faster and better quality than the zoom, although the Canon zoom is a very good lens in itself, and is a great general purpose lens. Obviously the zoom covers the same focal lenght but I prefer to use the prime lens if I can work with the fixed focal length, or in lower light situations to avoid needing flash.

So, whilst there is overlap, and you'll maybe wonder why you bother having the prime and zoom in the same range, they are a useful pairing.

The tele zoom is only worth considering if you need a telephoto lens, and from what you say, you don't.

p.s. - you say the discount is on T lenses, which means it won't apply to an M lens!

Edited by earleygallery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Get the Summicron M 50mm with an M to T adapter. You might turn into a camera fanatic.  It's more fun to use and you can't go wrong and the images will likely be much much better than the zoom.  It's a classic legendary lens.  But it takes skill to use.  If you just want a point and shoot, then go zoom.

Get the Summicron M 50mm with an M to T adapter. You might turn into a camera fanatic.  It's more fun to use and you can't go wrong and the images will likely be much much better than the zoom.  It's a classic legendary lens.  But it takes skill to use.  If you just want a point and shoot, then go zoom.

Wanted to add, if you go with the M, do lots of practice! 

Hi James,

Nice perspective you have. I realize doesn't really matter what camera you have but the basics/fundamentals remain the same.

I agree, I am hesitant to get the 18-55 as I already have a 23mm...totally agree with it being general purpose though..

Did I say I did't want a telephoto lens? haha... I guess from my words I kinda am not too keen on that... you quite rightly pointed out the obvious!

From what I know, both the T and M lens has a discount but not sure if it finishes end of July for the M lens.. doesn't make my decision any easier !

marh

Wanted to add, if you go with the M, do lots of practice! 

maybe I am worried about turning into a camera fanatic... once I buy an M lens I got one foot in the door and my next purchase may very well be a M system!!

To be honest, I think I am just scared of using a manual lens... lack of confidence. I am quite sure it is rewarding in the end... if you don't mind sharing, was it tough in the beginning?

marh

maybe I am worried about turning into a camera fanatic... once I buy an M lens I got one foot in the door and my next purchase may very well be a M system!!

To be honest, I think I am just scared of using a manual lens... lack of confidence. I am quite sure it is rewarding in the end... if you don't mind sharing, was it tough in the beginning?

marh

There are two answers.  I learned to shoot manual in general on all cameras.  First with film cameras long before digital was an option.  There was a learning curve, for sure.  Focusing with the M lens on a rangefinder camera, which the T is not, was very easy.  

Fast forward to the T camera....focusing is different.  You rely totally on what you see in the EVF, which I assume you have for the T?  It's easy as long as your eyesight is good.  And you get instant feedback on your depth of field.  I would suggest trying it out first at your camera store if possible and see if you like it. 

Yes you will absolutely need the EVF if you're using a manual lens - I tried my (Canon) M with my Leica M lenses and whilst it was possible to focus on the LCD and zooming in, it wasn't at all easy, either visually or ergonmically.

I really don't see the point in buying an M lens to use on the T. It's a crop sensor so you're paying for a FF lens which you're not going to use to its full potential. Different for those who already have M lenses.

You can buy any cheap old manual lens and try it out, you don't need to spend a fortune on a new Leica lens. Try a Russian Jupiter 8, a very good lens in fact, if you get a good copy.

Or, another thought, as you don't have a definite need for another lens, just stick with what you've got!

Yes you will absolutely need the EVF if you're using a manual lens - I tried my (Canon) M with my Leica M lenses and whilst it was possible to focus on the LCD and zooming in, it wasn't at all easy, either visually or ergonmically.

I really don't see the point in buying an M lens to use on the T. It's a crop sensor so you're paying for a FF lens which you're not going to use to its full potential. Different for those who already have M lenses.

You can buy any cheap old manual lens and try it out, you don't need to spend a fortune on a new Leica lens. Try a Russian Jupiter 8, a very good lens in fact, if you get a good copy.

Or, another thought, as you don't have a definite need for another lens, just stick with what you've got!

I totally disagree that getting an M lens for the T is not a good idea or waste of money.  They are great on the T!  These other cheaper lenses, well, you get what you pay for.  

Now on the crop factor, is something to consider.  The 50mm becomes an equivalent of a 75mm on the T.  Nothing wrong with that!   

Just occurred to me, doesn't the T have the option to turn off auto focus when using T lenses and shoot manual????  If you want to practice manual focusing before getting an M lens, play with that to see how you like it.

Yup, manual is the old school way and probably the best way to start. Admire your persistence.

yes, I do have the EVF! eyesight is ok... not a sharpshooter though! Have been trying to shoot manual mode with the T... its quite a hit&miss for me... static shots are mostly ok but with movement then becomes a bit challenging. Definitely a good point you raised about giving it a try at the shop first... thank you

marh

Hey James,

Well, I think thats the point..and cause of some conflict in my head... I never had M lenses... so why buy get one now to use on a different system..

obviously I know nothing about the full frame technical stuff... but fingers are itchy to get something...haha... so am quite sure it will be something or the other  :)

marh

I totally disagree that getting an M lens for the T is not a good idea or waste of money.  They are great on the T!  These other cheaper lenses, well, you get what you pay for.  

Now on the crop factor, is something to consider.  The 50mm becomes an equivalent of a 75mm on the T.  Nothing wrong with that!   

M lenses on the T are one of my favorite things about the system. I have the 23mm cron, the 55-135mm telephoto, and a 50mm Voigtländer Nokton f/1.5 with a Leica M adapter T, and I feel like I have just about everything I need. I would probably still buy a 75mm or 90mm fast portraiture lens, but everything is good for now!

• Like 1

Yup, manual is the old school way and probably the best way to start. Admire your persistence.

yes, I do have the EVF! eyesight is ok... not a sharpshooter though! Have been trying to shoot manual mode with the T... its quite a hit&miss for me... static shots are mostly ok but with movement then becomes a bit challenging. Definitely a good point you raised about giving it a try at the shop first... thank you

marh

Definitely try out first.  If your shop could loan you a lens, even better.  I would not go out and buy an M lens unless certain plus you have to like shooting manual.  Autofocus gives you more consistent results. But if you are desiring better images, the M with work can be very rewarding.

I totally disagree that getting an M lens for the T is not a good idea or waste of money. They are great on the T! These other cheaper lenses, well, you get what you pay for.

Now on the crop factor, is something to consider. The 50mm becomes an equivalent of a 75mm on the T. Nothing wrong with that!

I didn't say it was a waste of money or not a good idea.

If you want to use M lenses buy an M camera.

I didn't say it was a waste of money or not a good idea.

If you want to use M lenses buy an M camera.

Sure, I must have been reading or interpreting something else!

M lenses can be used on a number of different cameras these days in case you haven't heard. For the T, given the fact Leica has only released a very small set of T lenses, supplementing with some M lenses makes perfect sense so you get as good or better quality.  If I didn't already have a whole slew of M lenses, if someone were to ask me what I recommend, would be either a good used 35mm Summicron or the 50 Summicron.  Or maybe a Summarit. They would be in the price ballpark of the T lenses, currently.

Another combination, which I have the lens but haven't yet tried on the T, is a very old Leica R 35mm Summicron using a R to M over the M to T converter.  That could be very economical yet have the image quality of excellent Leica glass.  I use this on the T with my Leica R apo macro 100mm lens with excellent results.  So it should work.