NEW M.. This year.. This Fall...

I was referring to the M6 that uhoh7 posted abkut - the new M will still be thicker than the M6 - should be the same size as the current M240

The M240 grew a bit thicker than the M9 - but im willing to bet that its all in the thumb bump - the the rest of the body didnt get any thicker.

The M 240 top and bottom plate is about 0.045" (1.14mm) thicker than the M8 or M9.

However, the M8 4-way button actually adds more to the body thickness than the M 240 thumb rest does, even with the thicker body of the M 240. I don't recall the exact difference, but it's probably more than a millimeter over the M 240.

While a thinner M would be nice, try running around with a Nikon D800 and equivalent glass and the M 240 will seem like a pocket camera.

• Like 1

My, what a bunch of limp-wristed and small-handed contributors we have here ;-)

Oh, I guess missed the part where the M stood for a Man's camera ha!  I will still use the M240 but it's not fun to carry around.  Might as well be an SLR at the weight it's at now.  Maybe we can do without the back screen and just give us a better and larger EVF.  Save some weight, thickness.  I doubt Leica in listening though.

While a thinner M would be nice, try running around with a Nikon D800 and equivalent glass and the M 240 will seem like a pocket camera.

How about a pair of Canon 1DX, a 70-200 and 24-70 f2.8 ?

The M is my "fun" camera - i can sling it over a shoulder and wear it all day, and barely notice its there

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm of pensionable age, skinny, with smallish hands, heart problems, muscle problems and arthritis and yet regularly walk for hours on end with M240 in hand. 

The point is I have the camera configured to make it easy to carry, with an RRS grip and wrist strap. The camera is suspended by my side with two finger tips lightly on the grip and strap loose around my wrist. Perfectly balanced, I hardly know it's there.  

• Like 4

When you come from medium format digital the M is dainty as a sparrow.

Indeed ... and small compared to most DSLRs. But, when you've been using rangefinders for years, it seemed odd to me that the M240 actually grew (in an era when cameras are shrinking). No bad. Different strokes, etc.

I'm of pensionable age, skinny, with smallish hands, heart problems, muscle problems and arthritis and yet regularly walk for hours on end with M240 in hand. 

The point is I have the camera configured to make it easy to carry, with an RRS grip and wrist strap. The camera is suspended by my side with two finger tips lightly on the grip and strap loose around my wrist. Perfectly balanced, I hardly know it's there.  

I made the mistake originally of putting a leather case on my m240 making it thicker and a tad heavier!  Recently removed permanently and an improvement in comfort but STILL too heavy.  I also tried the grip....more weight....doesn't work for me.  The thumbs up helps, but I like to use the EVF so the thumbs is out.  My preferred 'carry all day' is the Leica T.  Am considering the Q as well.  The M240, I have to be on a dedicated shooting day to desire to have it with me.  I also have a shoulder injury from carrying too much camera gear many years ago so have to be real careful.  It reawakened last year after getting the M240 and carrying around every day.  I was literally out of commission for a month!  Now, if have the M with me, very careful to put it across the opposite shoulder.  It reached a tipping point in weight.

I made the mistake originally of putting a leather case on my m240 making it thicker and a tad heavier!  Recently removed permanently and an improvement in comfort but STILL too heavy.  I also tried the grip....more weight....doesn't work for me.  The thumbs up helps, but I like to use the EVF so the thumbs is out.  My preferred 'carry all day' is the Leica T.  Am considering the Q as well.  The M240, I have to be on a dedicated shooting day to desire to have it with me.  I also have a shoulder injury from carrying too much camera gear many years ago so have to be real careful.  It reawakened last year after getting the M240 and carrying around every day.  I was literally out of commission for a month!  Now, if have the M with me, very careful to put it across the opposite shoulder.  It reached a tipping point in weight.

Yea. When I used an M8 and M9, I used a Luigi leather half-case. With M6 and M7, I have not. I have no idea why I have varied this, film versus digital. I liked the added grip element (as my leather case had a built-in grip), but have found that I don't really need it ... So many options ... so it becomes a relative thing.

Yuk...I'd hate it if Leica gave up the current rangefinder system and completely revamped the M's.

If that's the case, then nothing would separate them from any other manufacturer, and they'd be playing catch up.

The ONE thing they have in their pocket is that they are the ONLY game in town for a real rangefinder.

Give that up for an EVF or some other method and why stay with Leica?

• Like 2