Metering Problem

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I believe my Leica Monochrom (original version)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

has a metering issue.  When shooting in bright open spaces, it tends to under expose by one or two stops.  What do you think?  The first shot of each set is what the proper exposure should be according to the meter.  The next two shots are over exposed by 1 and 2 stops. 

Edited by wilfredo

Second set.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The examples are less than ideal as both seem to have a bright (sky) or light and reflective (roof) very near the centre of the metering area. If left to it's own devices the meter will underexpose because it is trying to make those brighter areas mid grey (as can be seen, the sky and the roof are sort of mid-grey) in the unadjusted shots. As you say Wilfredo that this happens in bright open spaces I would say it's a case for metering on something else because the meter in the MM is not a multi field meter as with the 'Advanced metering' of the M240, it is definitely centre weighted. So focus, meter (on the ground or something that is mid-grey), compose, and shoot.

Steve

• Like 1

Are you using a Red or Orange filter with it?

I notice that the meter and CCD "see differently", I add ~2/3rds stop with deep orange and +1 stop with Red.

I'm using an Orange Filter.  I took some more shots today and it seemed to make no difference whether I used a filter or not, regarding exposure, and the metering seemed fine.   I will try again when the light is as it was yesterday when I shared the test shots.

I first noticed this when shooting in snow.  I never had this issue with my Leica M8, but then again, I did noy use it with color filters.

I need to avail myself of a grey card.

I first noticed this when shooting in snow.  I never had this issue with my Leica M8, but then again, I did noy use it with color filters.

I need to avail myself of a grey card.

This is a similar situation to shooting snow, the meter wants to try and make white snow into a mid grey so underexposes the snow. If you are shooting snow dial in a stop or more of  + exposure, or take a reading off the palm of your hand. And for other scenes green grass has a similar reflectivity of a mid grey.

Steve

Are you using a Red or Orange filter with it?

I notice that the meter and CCD "see differently", I add ~2/3rds stop with deep orange and +1 stop with Red.

Very true and well observed. Edited by dj_61

• 3 weeks later...

I'm often having to do exposure compensations to get a propper exposure.  I decided it was time for a trip to the Leica hospital.  I took the camera over to Leica in Allendale, N.J. this morning.   My warranty runs out in October so that's covered.  I also asked that they check the sensor while they have the camera.  The focusing ring on my 50mm LUX ASPH has a  little play, so I took that in as well (warranty expired on that one).  Now the waiting game begins.

BTW, I've never had this issue with my D2 which is CCD; never had it with my M8, and don't have it with my Canon S95, which is also CCD.  For most of my shooting, I prefer CCD sensors.

Edited by wilfredo