Leica S Image thread

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Phocus with 1/2 stop  + exposure added

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Asiana

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Phuket Thailand

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

cold

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The last frame from my S(006). Yesterday it hit the concrete way too fast and is a loss :( . The 100, 45, and 24 checked out fine on another S, although the 24's lens hood shattered.

38752142554_fdf600813d_h.jpg

--Matt

So sad. Are you sure it is not repairable at a reasonable price. Or are you more interested to upgrade?

Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The last frame from my S(006). Yesterday it hit the concrete way too fast and is a loss  :( . The 100, 45, and 24 checked out fine on another S, although the 24's lens hood shattered.

--Matt

Oh no ... Sorry for that.

• Like 1

Funchal, Madeira

S 006, Summarit-S 70

• Like 17

Now, A set of portrait using S120 APO.

27734932239_8909836d96_h.jpg27734919639_077c1f2c1c_h.jpg25640745918_1f7e66c3b6_h.jpg39511351141_a514c827b5_h.jpg25640743398_fd466c45a0_h.jpg

I got this lens a little before Christmas after return the first one, now a short review. Mainly compare to contax120 APO. Because it can get to 1:2, the lens is capable to do a lot of things over different subject at different distance, it is very versatile, I really should have got it earlier at least if I decide to stay with S. 

Having used many S glasses so far, I feel S glasses are a very special set of glass that all have superb rendering and optic performance. 35/70/120 are first three introduced, they are also happen to be mostly impressive ones out of whole set in term of rendering, usefulness of focal length and performance.

Sharpness: The lens is extremely sharp. even WO to corner. I feel it is sharper at WO f2.5 than contax120 at f4, mainly contrast, resolution wise both are stellar. 

APO: I feel It is not as good as Contax120 for CA correction. However, I mainly shoot it WO, it(CA) might get comparable at f4. I'd say it is an excellent APO glass compare other Leica APO I used. No complain here.  

Handling: first of all, for AF users, it is fine. i will mainly talk about manual focus here. Now, compare to contax 645,(feel so good in hand for manual focusing) S 120 is awkward. The focusing ring is real, and feel great, better than all other S glasses. However, because glass itself is pretty long and focus ring is far away from body and not wide enough IMO, if I put my left hand palm underneath the S body, i have a very hard time to reach focusing ring using thumb and index finger to focus. I have to modify my way of holding camera to manual focusing, it can be done, just not comfortable. S35 has the same issue, but focusing turn is less than 90 degree from MFD to infinity, it is a less issue I can potentially use my index finger to do the focusing compare to almost 720 degree of S120 here. and 35mm is less sensitive to camera shack for less stable holding. 

Flare: Flare performance is better than contax. It is not that good itself, but contax is just worse. 

Boekh: I will give contax nod here, it is just more prettier to my eyes. (I personally feel Contax 120 APO has the best bokeh of all short tele lens I ever used, talking about quality not quantity, I can imagine it will be even more impressive on native 645 system). Here, I mainly talk about tough situation shooting, like medium distance with busy background. However, at macro distance, both give very beautiful results and given S 120 can also focus very close, and more than one stop faster, it has potential to give more blur over many conditions, so, it might be favorable for some. 

It has AF, and f2.5, this means it is a more useful lens for S users as S system need light, lots of light. It is also more OVF friendly for faster aperture, viewfinder will be brighter. I will keep both as you can see they are quite different.  

BTW, it also has copy variation, I have to return the first one which focus is off, performance at infinity is worse and show more CA. 
  • Like 9

DJ, How long was the exposure? Is noise reduction bother you in this case?

The exposure was 125 seconds. If you are asking if the wait for noise reduction bothers me, yes it bothers me. I had one opportunity for this shot because the light had changed by the end of noise reduction. One shot is all it takes, but I would prefer to take a second shot because sometimes a file gets corrupted.

Jesse

• Like 2

Now, A set of portrait using S120 APO.

27734932239_8909836d96_h.jpg27734919639_077c1f2c1c_h.jpg25640745918_1f7e66c3b6_h.jpg39511351141_a514c827b5_h.jpg25640743398_fd466c45a0_h.jpg

I got this lens a little before Christmas after return the first one, now a short review. Mainly compare to contax120 APO. Because it can get to 1:2, the lens is capable to do a lot of things over different subject at different distance, it is very versatile, I really should have got it earlier at least if I decide to stay with S. 

Having used many S glasses so far, I feel S glasses are a very special set of glass that all have superb rendering and optic performance. 35/70/120 are first three introduced, they are also happen to be mostly impressive ones out of whole set in term of rendering, usefulness of focal length and performance.

Sharpness: The lens is extremely sharp. even WO to corner. I feel it is sharper at WO f2.5 than contax120 at f4, mainly contrast, resolution wise both are stellar. 

APO: I feel It is not as good as Contax120 for CA correction. However, I mainly shoot it WO, it(CA) might get comparable at f4. I'd say it is an excellent APO glass compare other Leica APO I used. No complain here.  

Handling: first of all, for AF users, it is fine. i will mainly talk about manual focus here. Now, compare to contax 645,(feel so good in hand for manual focusing) S 120 is awkward. The focusing ring is real, and feel great, better than all other S glasses. However, because glass itself is pretty long and focus ring is far away from body and not wide enough IMO, if I put my left hand palm underneath the S body, i have a very hard time to reach focusing ring using thumb and index finger to focus. I have to modify my way of holding camera to manual focusing, it can be done, just not comfortable. S35 has the same issue, but focusing turn is less than 90 degree from MFD to infinity, it is a less issue I can potentially use my index finger to do the focusing compare to almost 720 degree of S120 here. and 35mm is less sensitive to camera shack for less stable holding. 

Flare: Flare performance is better than contax. It is not that good itself, but contax is just worse. 

Boekh: I will give contax nod here, it is just more prettier to my eyes. (I personally feel Contax 120 APO has the best bokeh of all short tele lens I ever used, talking about quality not quantity, I can imagine it will be even more impressive on native 645 system). Here, I mainly talk about tough situation shooting, like medium distance with busy background. However, at macro distance, both give very beautiful results and given S 120 can also focus very close, and more than one stop faster, it has potential to give more blur over many conditions, so, it might be favorable for some. 

It has AF, and f2.5, this means it is a more useful lens for S users as S system need light, lots of light. It is also more OVF friendly for faster aperture, viewfinder will be brighter. I will keep both as you can see they are quite different.  

BTW, it also has copy variation, I have to return the first one which focus is off, performance at infinity is worse and show more CA. 

That 120 APO is a stunning lens. It's really one of the reasons I have interest in the S.

DJ, How long was the exposure? Is noise reduction bother you in this case?

The exposure was 125 seconds. If you are asking if the wait for noise reduction bothers me, yes it bothers me. I had one opportunity for this shot because the light had changed by the end of noise reduction. One shot is all it takes, but I would prefer to take a second shot because sometimes a file gets corrupted.

Jesse

Epic, as always...

• Like 1

Nusa Dua

Leica S2 w/ Contax 645 35mm f3.5

• Like 5