Leica S Image thread

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Ropo54 are you leica dealer ?

No, no, no!  I only am practicing my technique to make them more wealthy! :)  (I was actually using a 007 demo last week for the photo that I posted, but was enamored with it and am in the process of purchasing a pre-owned 006, as prices are so attractive now).

Edited by ropo54

No, no, no! I only am practicing my technique to make them more wealthy! :) (I was actually using a 007 demo last week for the photo that I posted, but was enamored with it and am in the process of purchasing a pre-owned 006, as prices are so attractive now).

The 006 will not dissapoint you! Hard to beat the quality-price combination of second-hand 006 and S-lenses.

• Like 1

No, no, no!  I only am practicing my technique to make them more wealthy! :)  (I was actually using a 007 demo last week for the photo that I posted, but was enamored with it and am in the process of purchasing a pre-owned 006, as prices are so attractive now).

Can you short compare S007 and x1D. I’m now waiting for 100Mb x1d

Jacek: 

I liked the X1D. A lot. It is certainly less expensive. My main gripe with the X1D was the shutter lag; what I enjoyed about the 007 was the fact that after the photo was snapped the camera was ready to go for another shot.  Note that I am only a hobbyist and am not using the camera for professional work. My concern was to use it when I travel or to snap photos of my grandchildren. 

So far, both systems produced stunning images, that to my eye - even in smaller sizes - were more detailed and had more depth and tonality compared to full frame images. As for number of megapixels, 37.5, 50, or 100, that was irrelevant for me. (I'd prefer the shutter lag to be eliminated in the next version).

Ergonomically, the X1D was a real pleasure to hold and use. Being familiar with SL 601 the user interface of the of the S was very familiar  and easy to adapt to. While the X1D is simple and intuitive, I did prefer the S, but in the way one might prefer a pair of old shoes!  I have no doubt the X1D would be quite easy to become familiar with quickly.

I certainly do not have enough experience with the Leica S vs Hb lenses to comment comparatively. Everything I have read about Leica S lenses is extraordinarily positive. But, I was quite happy with the Hb lenses for my limited purposes. The S lenses happen to be faster, but the Hb system is expandly rapidly.  

S006 prices are really exceptional now so I opted to go that route. I have heard that it will not handle low light situations as well as the 007, has limited ISO capability, and so am waiting to compare that aspect. As between the 006 and 007, I'd probably prefer to have the 007.  And, if all goes well with my 006, I may just 'upgrade' to the 007 in due time or when the 008 arrives. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer. But, please consider my limited purposes for the medium format system. 

Rob

Edited by ropo54

Just to be clear, the X1D exhibits blackout... between shots.... but there is no meaningful shutter lag for the initial shot, as the lens shutters are quick to release after setting. So one can’t fire off a bunch of quick shots (except using the current limited electronic shutter), so a more deliberate style of shooting is required.

I tested the S006 with the slow zoom, and the combination was not ideal for handheld work (to eliminate vibration) in other than good light. Prime lenses would have been better suited, but still limited compared to the S007. My testing of the X1D showed that it could be handheld under less than ideal light (leaf shutters, no mirror, smaller and lighter lenses, etc).

Trade offs. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens with the S system near term.

Sorry... just realized this is the image thread.... back to pics....

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

@Ropo 54 - Thank you, I appreciate your comments very much. I am also an amateur but I plan to buy something from the medium format Leica or hasselblad.

@Jeff S - Thank you for the comment, I read all your posts.

I tested X1D for a week and I like it very much. But I really dream about Leica S 100MB mirrorless.

Just to be clear, the X1D exhibits blackout... between shots.... but there is no meaningful shutter lag for the initial shot, as the lens shutters are quick to release after setting. So one can’t fire off a bunch of quick shots (except using the current limited electronic shutter), so a more deliberate style of shooting is required.

Jeff

Yeah, I keep referring to it as "shutter lag" but you are absolutely correct. Thanks, Jeff.

Rob

Edited by ropo54

Jacek: 

I liked the X1D. A lot. It is certainly less expensive. My main gripe with the X1D was the shutter lag; what I enjoyed about the 007 was the fact that after the photo was snapped the camera was ready to go for another shot.  Note that I am only a hobbyist and am not using the camera for professional work. My concern was to use it when I travel or to snap photos of my grandchildren. 

So far, both systems produced stunning images, that to my eye - even in smaller sizes - were more detailed and had more depth and tonality compared to full frame images. As for number of megapixels, 37.5, 50, or 100, that was irrelevant for me. (I'd prefer the shutter lag to be eliminated in the next version).

Ergonomically, the X1D was a real pleasure to hold and use. Being familiar with SL 601 the user interface of the of the S was very familiar  and easy to adapt to. While the X1D is simple and intuitive, I did prefer the S, but in the way one might prefer a pair of old shoes!  I have no doubt the X1D would be quite easy to become familiar with quickly.

I certainly do not have enough experience with the Leica S vs Hb lenses to comment comparatively. Everything I have read about Leica S lenses is extraordinarily positive. But, I was quite happy with the Hb lenses for my limited purposes. The S lenses happen to be faster, but the Hb system is expandly rapidly.  

S006 prices are really exceptional now so I opted to go that route. I have heard that it will not handle low light situations as well as the 007, has limited ISO capability, and so am waiting to compare that aspect. As between the 006 and 007, I'd probably prefer to have the 007.  And, if all goes well with my 006, I may just 'upgrade' to the 007 in due time or when the 008 arrives. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer. But, please consider my limited purposes for the medium format system. 

Rob

Rob

I had the S006 and now have the S007 and the H6D100c..........The S007 is really a marked improvement over the S006, in many ways, way easier to shoot hand held due to the higher ISO capabilities and the COSMO sensor (or whatever they call it).........the camera is just more snappier than the S006, and the leather wrapping stays on the S007 not like the S006

Welcome to MF

Neil

Rob

I had the S006 and now have the S007 and the H6D100c..........The S007 is really a marked improvement over the S006, in many ways, way easier to shoot hand held due to the higher ISO capabilities and the COSMO sensor (or whatever they call it).........the camera is just more snappier than the S006, and the leather wrapping stays on the S007 not like the S006

Welcome to MF

Neil

Yes, Neil, thanks, and I suppose I am soon going to find that out. The S 006 was just so darn reasonably priced that I jumped on one, with the idea that I will most likely upgrade to a S 007. Rob

Neil , Never say never :). (Porsche has got diesel engine and SUV's). And by the way would you be so polite and shortly compared S007 with H6D100c please.

My Leica Gear is in KL and I am in Phuket with my Hassy...........I will be back in KL next weekend and will shoot two models with my Hassy and will also take the S007 along as well

Pictures to follow

Neil

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

BAUHAUS Museum Berlin

S 2 + Pentax67 4,5/75

• Like 4

Zurich

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

S 006, Summarit-S 70

• Like 12