M8 with no problems in 2015

alm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am new to this forum and Leica world. Like many here, I guess, always dreamed of experience to shoot with a Leica. So, this day arrives and buy an M8 with less than 2,500 actuations, unique and reliable owner and store, almost unused, and, less than a month, had both problems: vertical lines and shutter fault.

I returned the camera to the store and they are offering me another, practically the same conditions.

However, the serial numbers are very close: the first 31059xx and the other 31052xx.

After reading many posts here, I'm afraid about this number to and also would like to ask:

- Does anyone have an M8 today (2015) without any of these problems with similar serial numbers (early batch)? Is it possible?

- The cameras who had these problems have similar serial numbers (early batch)?

- Numbers cameras to 3105xxx have more chance of having these problems or there is no such relationship and chances are totally random?

Thank you and sorry about my english (google transalation).

Alm

I feel disappointed for you after such a long wait for a Leica. :(

It's just bad luck really.  Generally they are very reliable cameras.

The numbers have never been correlated to manufacturing dates.  I feel sure and expect, your "new" camera will be good for you... :D

I have two M8's with numbers either side of your two examples.  Camera M8 (black) #3102197 has over 22,000 actuations.  Camera M8 (silver chrome) # 3108453 has over 8,000 actuations.  Both purchased with close to 4,000 actuations. So they have been well used and very very rarely misbehave.

You are right ".. there is no such relationship and chances are totally random.."

Enjoy your camera and I hope you use it many years to come.  We look forward to your contributions to the Forum.

cheers  Dave S :)

• Like 1

my silver M8 was manufactured in 2006- I had the screen replaced due to the 'coffee ring' fault- it wasn't neccesary-  other than that it still soldiers on perfectly. Serial number is close to yours- but an earlier number: 3101061.

• Like 1

Mine is 3104702, over 10,000 acts by myself, had shutter repaired (wouldn't stop firing occasionally near freezing temps), and has verticals if heavily underexposed, or at high iso. Coffee stain (weak), too, but who cares. A fine toy, don't worry and just have it repaired (shutter) when needed. 

• Like 2