109, a completely failed camera?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have long ago accepted the advice from a Leica using, retired professional and highly successful photojournalist, that one should never go on any photo shoot without a reliable back-up system but particularly on expensive holidays!!   Since receiving that advice I have always taken two identical bodies together with a small selection of lenses to suit the subjects I am most likely to shoot.   I have never required the second body due to failure of the other (neither are Leica's! ;) ) but having a different lens already mounted has saved many a shot that would have otherwise been lost.

I never had a vacation failure until I travelled with just one body... a Contax T.  That will teach me!

Funny how high the Digilux 2 is praised here while the DL109 is so much better. I have the Pana LX100 and it is one of the very rare cameras giving me the feeling that it has no significant drawbacks. It had teething problems at first (blurred EVF and battery drain) but they disappeared after a couple hundred pics. Only con to me is the EVF lag which is too long after each shot. Could someone point me to a compact camera this size and zoom range having a shorter EVF lag? Just curious.

I discovered the bad news. Leica d-lux typ 109 is a clone of Panasonic LX100, while significantly more expensive. But the characteristics of the worst shows more. In particular, the ratio of ISO / noise loses little to jpeg and felt in equal. Dynamic range seriously in raw loses has to ISO 800 and beyond. This test data Techradar: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/leica-d-lux-typ-109-1276893/review/4

Leica probably trying to bring something different to the filling of Panasonic, and it is "their" is not the best way affects performance.

Edited by Aleks-Buldog

I use the LX 100 panasonic and I have always been pleased with the results. I look at the camera and see a low cost compact of very good quality for its price . I find the results very good . Not as good as my M9 with prime lenses but not a million miles away. Personally I would not consider the D lux 109 which at the moment is almost 3 times the price even if you ignore the 5 year warranty on the panasonic ( latest offer ) . A red dot on the camera is not going to make the camera any better and looking at the problems that many are having I am not that sure the 109 is as good. That would be understandable if the two cameras are made in differant factories as the production runs of the LX 100 are probably far higher. To some users the 109 is considered a failed camera, the LX 100 is definitely not but should be looked at in its true context as a very good camera which is great value for not a great deal of money.The red dot on a 109 actually cost most owners more than a LX100 camera. We all have choices.

BrianP

Edited by Guest

As far as i recall (D1 & LC5 in 2002), PanaLeica cameras have always been clones to Panasonic's, with a slight difference in jpeg rendition, but as soon as raw files became available (D2 & LC1) such differences disappeared for raw users. I've been comparing raw files out of LX100 and DL109 last year and i could not tell a significant difference between them. FWIW.

• Like 1

My experience exactly. www.wex.com are offering the camera at about £350 on a time limited offer at present . I am on Holiday in Beer in South Devon at the moment and I only brought this camera with me.I will have pics on the wall a week or so after I get back home. 

BrianP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Both cameras are supposed to be the same as far as Raw. The sensor is the same, the lens are the same.  The techradar findings are weird. I wonder if they compared two different LX100's would they also find differences.

I discovered the bad news. Leica d-lux typ 109 is a clone of Panasonic LX100, while significantly more expensive. But the characteristics of the worst shows more. In particular, the ratio of ISO / noise loses little to jpeg and felt in equal. Dynamic range seriously in raw loses has to ISO 800 and beyond. This test data Techradar: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/leica-d-lux-typ-109-1276893/review/4

Leica probably trying to bring something different to the filling of Panasonic, and it is "their" is not the best way affects performance.