109, a completely failed camera?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the end of 2014, I was one of the lucky ones who received the new and gorgeous D-Lux 109 ( I had 3 different D-Lux cameras before). The lens was freezing the camera frequently. I called North America Leica and was told to keep the camera for a while to see if the problem is still there. They said as the camera is new, they don’t have a clue of what is going wrong!...

After couple of months, I still had the same problem. I sent it to the Leica repair shop in New Jersey (USA).  Few weeks later, they sent me a new 109. Three weeks after, the new camera EVF stopped functioning!...

I sent it back to New Jersey!... ...

Over two months later and after much struggle with Leica in New Jersey; and, after spending some precious family summer vacation without a camera; they sent me another new D-Lux!

I opened the box and started setting up the new camera. But…. I noticed the diopter is not working and EVF remains blurry! Impossible to adjust it!... I didn’t even had time to register this new camera!....

During the last 6/7 months, I had three new D-Lux 109, and each one of them had a malfunctioning part!

I asked for my money back so I can buy myself another camera; or, I was even ready to upgrade my camera and pay the balance to Leica!

But for an upgrade replacement; they refused to take into account what I had already paid for my defective D-Lux, pointing out they are not a “retail”!!!... ...

Is this my bad luck; or, a horrible quality control; or, a complete disregard of customers by Leica?!.....

I must add that I have always been extremely pleased with the Leica repair shop in New Jersey; and, I have always been very satisfied of my contacts with them.

But what should I think now!?.....

Is anyone affiliated to Leica AG reading our complaints and informing Leica about?...

I am very sorry and shocked to read this.   Here in Europe, our first call is the local Leica dealer and that usually provides a satisfactory solution, but failing that in the Uk we can report the sad state of affairs to Leica Mayfair in London. In the unlikely event that this also fails to provide satisfaction then it is a report to Leica in Germany.

If your dealer is not helping you and Leica in New Jersey is unable to assist then it seems to me that you should contact Germany.   I don't know what customer protection law is available to you and how it is applied but consumer law in the UK would ensure that once you have exhausted every avenue with the dealer and manufacturer (only if necessary) Trading Standards may well take up the case and if not you could file a claim in the small payments court, claiming you were sold an item of un- merchantable quality.   If you have your facts absolutely right then you would recover your costs and receive full compensation.  In my experience none of this would happen as the dealer or Leica would not let this even go near a court and settle what is a relatively small amount to them long before it got that far.

Dave, thanks for your response and recommendations!

As during my first call to Leica North America , I was told to wait longer and see if the problem still continues, a month passed and I couldn't return to dealer (B&H)and asked for my money! They told me 30 days has passed for a money return and as the camera has a warrenty, I should contact Leica!

Then, Leica sent me two new cameras an each with failure!...

I just sent emails to Germany but I am not sure if I have good addresses and if anyone would receive my mails!

I am really very disappointed!

Louis,

You might want to contact Bill Weier at Leica USA. I have had success with him on some other issues which were"hung up". I believe he's the head of repairs or customer service in NJ. Here's his email: bill.weier@leicacamerausa.com.  If Bill cannot be of assistance, which is unlikely, consider reaching out to Roger Horn. Good luck.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What a sad story, Louis, and to hear that you have had such a problem with your various 109s.

Several months ago I looked at the 109 against the latest C. I went for the C and have been really impressed with it. In fact the only comparison factor which the C lost on was that the D had a much better EVF. I have adjusted to the EVF on the C and am delighted with the little gem which I carry around when my VLUX would be too cumbersome.

Richard

What a sad story, Louis, and to hear that you have had such a problem with your various 109s.

Several months ago I looked at the 109 against the latest C. I went for the C and have been really impressed with it. In fact the only comparison factor which the C lost on was that the D had a much better EVF. I have adjusted to the EVF on the C and am delighted with the little gem which I carry around when my VLUX would be too cumbersome.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for your comments. But let me try to be fair:

1- Previously, I had Dlux 3, 4 and 5. I have been extremely happy with each of them, and more specially with number 4 that I believe still is one of the best portables around. C is also a very good little camera from what I have heard from every one.

2- The Leica in New Jersey has always been great! Roxana, the lady with whom I have been in contact, has always  been extremely professional, patient and helpful. They are frankly  the best experience of customer service I have ever experienced. They have done everything they could during my dilemma with 109 and it was really not their fault if every time I received a new camera, it had some failures! ... If it lasted so long to have a camera the last time, it was because they have been waiting for a new shipment that was not coming!

3- D-Lux 109, is a very attractive little camera with really superb features and functions!... But the quality control ( in Japan ?!)  has been really very lousy! ... I had three new 109 in a row, and each one had issues!!! ... I must also have had a very unusually bad luck!... They have sold thousands of this camera, but I had three in row that failed!... Checking other threads, I see some other people also having some problems!... Maybe, the fact that the demand for this camera, internationally, was so high, the quality control could not follow the speed of the production?!...

Finally, I must admit that I, personally, completely lost interest and trust  in this camera due to my personal experience. I would just not feel comfortable to have another 109 and to use it without any back-thoughts!... I was in shock and very angry when moved my last (third!) D-Lux from the box and  noticed it is not working right! The diopter was not functioning at all!...

I had no other choice but reaching some people in Germany and sharing my very bad experience with them. They understood my situation well and were extremely surprised also!... Now, I decided to have an upgrade and forget about 109, all together!!... Crossing my fingers, of course! ...

Richard

Sensor sizes are different. The D-Lux theoretically captures more image information.

• Like 1

My first Leica was a disappointment . I have been reading good reviews from forums both 109&lx100 and bought the 109 two months back through Amazon. I delivered it to my cousins house in the US as I live in Dubai. When I first opened the camera, the screen was flickering pink with white vertical lines. I thought there was a warm up period but alas, even if you take photos, all the lines and noise are there as well. Videos are the same, flickering intermittently. There are times that it works just fine if you turn on and off a probably more than 10x then the flickering slows down and stops. Then I travelled to the city, preparing to take some photos, it did it again. I took it to LEICA at SOHO in NY, they said it's not normal and they recommended to send it to New Jersey. I didn't get to send it as I relied on the 109 for my vacation photos. At the end of my trip, I did return the 109. Still waiting for my refund and still considering if it's a wise choice to get another from B&H this time. I left my bigger DLSR back in Dubai for my vacation thinking the 109 can do what with its compact size. Just ruined my vacation...

• Like 1

Paul, I perfectly understand your disappointment!... My vacation without a camera was also screwed up. Besides, I also sell photos to Europe on events in the US and always used small and portable cameras to be less noticeable and have more flexibility! I lost money since I couldn't even cover 4th of July!....

You could send it back, replace it, or ask for your money at B&H, before 30 days of purchase and before registering the camera at Leica!... After that, they don't accept!

Leica in New jersey don't give your money back, either, unfortunately! As they put it, they are not a "retail"! ... You didn't buy it from them!... But as you have 3 years warranty for your 109, they have to fix it or send you a new one!... I do know that they were waiting for a shipment that was late!... As I understand, Leica sold thousands of 109 all over the world. This was a huge success, but unfortunately, with many quality failure!...

I believe that you should call them and have a talk about your situation. They have a very good customer service with very decent, helpful and professional people. They always try to do their best to satisfy you. I have always been very impressed by the way they are handling problems! :)

Good luck, my friend!  

I have long ago accepted the advice from a Leica using, retired professional and highly successful photojournalist, that one should never go on any photo shoot without a reliable back-up system but particularly on expensive holidays!!   Since receiving that advice I have always taken two identical bodies together with a small selection of lenses to suit the subjects I am most likely to shoot.   I have never required the second body due to failure of the other (neither are Leica's! ;) ) but having a different lens already mounted has saved many a shot that would have otherwise been lost.

I have long ago accepted the advice from a Leica using, retired professional and highly successful photojournalist, that one should never go on any photo shoot without a reliable back-up system but particularly on expensive holidays!!   Since receiving that advice I have always taken two identical bodies together with a small selection of lenses to suit the subjects I am most likely to shoot.   I have never required the second body due to failure of the other (neither are Leica's! ;) ) but having a different lens already mounted has saved many a shot that would have otherwise been lost.

Thank you Don from the Leica Fellowship for that advice! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 109 for my wife and it has been flawless. She beats up a camera and so far it has held up... Fingers crossed after reading all of your posts!

I wish I had the same luck as you and your wife! 

I moved to another system, but still have an extra set of everything that came in the box with the camera. If you are interested, please PM me! :)