Terrible reception at Leica store in Beijing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was all set to purchase the Leica Q on Monday. I had sold my Canon gear in the previous weeks and couldn't wait to get the Leica. I live in Changchun city, China and the closest Leica store to me is in Beijing, about a 7 hour train ride. So I travelled down for one night and got a really bad reception at the store. I was not allowed to try the camera, let alone hold it. I had travelled this far and thought, well, I have read all the reviews I should  get it anyway. The price was 32,000 RMB which is 5,153 US or 4,725 euro. Much higher than other places around the world. Still, it's the only Leica store and with all the warranty's and after sales care, I decided I would pull the trigger. When I was ready to buy, even though I couldn't try it, even though it's more expensive, the sales person wouldn't sell it to me unless I purchased 9,000RMB worth of accessories! That's 1,448 US, 1,328 euro. Cases, straps, things I didn't want. I decided not to purchase and walked away feeling like they didn't even want my custom. (almost like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman ;-)) I travelled 14 hours, was exhausted and came back with nothing. What I'm wondering is, is this a representation of Leica or just China? Has anyone else experienced this? I would normally hold Leica very high but I've had better care in a sweet shop. Almost turn me off investing in their products.

Something I'm not clear on regarding Leica stores... is if they're actually owned by Leica Camera, AG or if they're franchised.  I suspect it's the latter, for a few reasons.  There are a lot of inconsistencies between Leica stores that I doubt would exist if they were a single entity.

And to answer your question: Leica's name and brand are all over that store, and therefore it is a representation of Leica.  And you should let Leica AG know about your bad experience and the fact that it cost them a sale.

Edited by Joshua Lowe
  • Like 3

Something I'm not clear on regarding Leica stores... is if they're actually owned by Leica Camera, AG or if they're franchised.  I suspect it's the latter, for a few reasons.  There are a lot of inconsistencies between Leica stores that I doubt would exist if they were a single entity.

And to answer your question: Leica's name and brand are all over that store, and therefore it is a representation of Leica.  And you should let Leica AG know about your bad experience and the fact that it cost them a sale.

It was one of their Leica AG stores. If you go to the Leica website and search their store map it shows 2 legit stores in Beijing and a few more resellers. (The other store had none in stock) So I presume it was the real deal. Absolutely gutted. 

This is pretty outrageous behavior. Price gouging and worse.  Is there a way you can buy mail or Internet order and have it delivered?   If I were a Leica AG executive in Wetzlar reading this, I would not let this stand.  You should definitely try to get in touch with Wetzlar.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May I also add my voice to encourage you to report this episode to Leica in Germany giving all details to authenticate your claim. You received disgusting treatment, regardless of what you were buying. Before doing anything else, await Leica's response. They might make it easier for you to achieve what you set out to do. Please report back here so that we can follow the whole story as it unfolds.

Finally, a rather sad welcome to the forum. Let us hope that your future postings will lighten our hearts.

• Like 2

What a shame! Not representative of normal Leica service.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a similar experience stateside at a Leica Boutique when the T came out. They did not want me to handle and try it out without a commitment to buy! Needless to say I took my business elsewhere.

Contact Leica and see what they have to say but don't give up its worth it!

Write a letter to Dr Kaufmann and let him know what his sales people are doing to prevent people buying Leica's. Copy the letter to Blackstone, the private equity investors. 

They are under pressure to grow the business, so this sort of snobbish behaviour would probably horrify him! 

• Like 2

You could fly to HK and pick it up and still be ahead. Price in HK is about 28k RMB and the Leica store wont gouge you. The camera is heavily in demand now and there is a long waiting list, and you know how things are, people are charging a premium. 

Wait for Leica AG to respond. If you don't hear back in say 10 days send a follow-up email. Keep us posted on what happens - the Beijing store's behaviour is appalling.

If all else fails, either fly to HK as indicated above or purchase overseas, but remember there's high demand and most reputable dealers in US/UK do have waiting lists, but that does mean that you will get one in due course.

I have to say I was really surprised to read your post as it certainly the complete opposite of the service you find in the Leica store here in London where one of the main objects of the place is to let you try out and handle the camera even if you buy it from another dealer. I would really press this with Leica in Germany as this sort of sales technique is unacceptable 

Edited by viramati

I agree with everyone here.

The Leica store in London has impeccable service.

Definitely raise this to the attention of Leica.

This is not their policy and they will be axed to correct this.

BTW on a lighter note I complained to Tesco head office that a local Tesco had inconsistent stock on the shelves, was dirty and the staff were very unhelpful. The next week one of the senior managers visited the shop with his entourage and within a month it was cleaned, redecorated, every shelf full and suddenly attentive (and a few more) staff .....

Leica is a noble brand and there are a lot of very (new)rich people in China. They laugh about 1000 dollars more. 

The Leica store there does not need you.

So, my advice would be to buy abroad, without complaining very much.

Jan

Leica is a noble brand and there are a lot of very (new)rich people in China. They laugh about 1000 dollars more.

The Leica store there does not need you.

So, my advice would be to buy abroad, without complaining very much.

Jan

I couldn't disagree more

Leica needs every customer and if it's attitude was like (which it isn't) it would quickly go bust

Apple gets my custom not because it's phones are better but because of its customer service

What an appaling story! But - in a summary you got good from all the guys with the advice to cantact Leica in Germany first and wait for a couple of days. HK is a good adress for photogrpahers. I got good treatment in the small Leica shop at the airport and in Stanley Street on Hong Kong Island where many individual shops are.

The Leica Store in Wetzlar at the Manufactury is a nice address. You should launch your complaints directly to the management.

Leica does produce this camera and others to attract more customers offering a product with less financial engagement. Your case would just be what Leica should not want to happen! Asia is such an important market! - Please let us know how your case will develop and your future pictures with a hopefully fantastic camera we would like to have on the forum soon!