Thumbs Up EP-SQ grip for the Leica Q

Hi everyone,

is there any option for the EP-SQ to be shipped from EU ...? I'm willing to pay the asking price for it, but with shipping, VAT and customs expences it's price exceeds 200 euros (!), which is just insane. I mean, I do have some limits ... grrr ...

You can find it here:

https://www.cameratools.com/photo-video-accessoiries/battery-grips/thumbs-up-ep-sq-for-leica-q/

cheers

• Like 1

A significantly cheaper alternative is to use some incredibly versatile Sugru. I have fashioned a crude thumbrest out of it, and it makes the whole camera feel instantly far more stable - and I can use it one-handed with much more confidence.

I even added a little Sugru soft-release button, a very crude protective curve around the EVF focus adjustment dial, and a tiny dot of it on the FN button (to make it easier to locate without looking).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Doesn't the thumb rest obscure the thumb wheel?

Not really - if anything, it helps stop it being turned accidentally. As you can see from the overhead photo, there's still plenty of access. The Thumb's Up does give you more access, but it (a) uses up the flash bracket and (B) makes it harder to hit the AEL button. And © has a much thinner area of contact – the Sugru way lets you use the full length of the thumb indent, so you can hold it further down as well. 

And (d) it's about 1% of the cost.

A significantly cheaper alternative is to use some incredibly versatile Sugru. I have fashioned a crude thumbrest out of it, and it makes the whole camera feel instantly far more stable - and I can use it one-handed with much more confidence.

I even added a little Sugru soft-release button, a very crude protective curve around the EVF focus adjustment dial, and a tiny dot of it on the FN button (to make it easier to locate without looking).

It only needs 1€ to make a 4000€ camera to a 10€ camera.

Looks terrible... never ever.

• Like 5

Hi everyone,

is there any option for the EP-SQ to be shipped from EU ...? I'm willing to pay the asking price for it, but with shipping, VAT and customs expences it's price exceeds 200 euros (!), which is just insane. I mean, I do have some limits ... grrr ...

https://www.meister-camera.com/de/produkt/6398/thumbs-ep-sq

or

http://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/shop/thumbs-up-1000023.html

It only needs 1€ to make a 4000€ camera to a 10€ camera.

Looks terrible... never ever.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! However, for me it makes it look less... precious, and more like a tool that can be adapted. That's why I have black tape over the logo and text wherever possible as well. Each to their own.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I bought mine in Italy: http://www.newoldcamera.it/Scheda.aspx?Codice=16N1791

Going to receive it next week  ;)

Well, as soon as I saw that thumbs-up, I wanted it for my camera, but when I saw the price tag of US $134.00, was discouraged and went to check on e-bay for an alternative, and found this one from China, the price?... $3.99 with free shipping!.

May not be perfect but does the job, and still, looks cool

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To  those who have the thumbs up and have a hard time pressing the button underneath the thumbs up, ...

I bought these rubber bumpers from amazon for 8.99  . They are exactly the size of the button and are 3mm high.  Self adhesive.  Eay to press and hoid if you assign the button for Afl, ael .

81t3dUv3cdL._SL1500_.jpg

Black Cylindrical Self Adhesive Rubber Foot or Feet Bumpers 100 Count Commericial or Residential Useage By: Blaydessales

Price: $8.99  | FREE Same-Day 
Delivered today for FREE with qualifying orders over $35.  Details

Your $175.56 Amazon.com Gift Card balance can cover the cost of this item. Learn More.

In Stock.

• • Self-Adhesive Rubber Feet - Round (flat top surface)
  • • No cutting required - peel right off the backing to use with 3M Adhesive tape
  • • Each rubber foot measures: 0.23in (6.mm) in diameter x 0.11in (3mm) height
  • • Stocked in the US and ready for same day shipping via Amazon
  • •Quantity: 100 per sheet, Color: Black

Wow what happened to your Q????

There are polarised views on the Thumbsup attachment as evidenced in several forums. I have always preferred the Leica handgrips regardless of straps attached.

Looking at Ashwin's photos it seems to me that the protrusion prevents the thumb from sliding easily onto the thumb wheel, a frequent need when refining operational settings. I would find that a hindrance. But that is academic because of my strong preference for the handgrip.

• 2 weeks later...

I find holding the Q even with the very nice Aventino grip on the Arte De Mano case to quickly become tiring. Adding the Thumbs Up totally changes how positive and easy it is to securely hold the camera. I'll admit it's a personal preference and everybody figures out what works for them, but it's a AAA for me no question.

• Like 1