Light Haze Starting In 50mm Summicron

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

I noticed my 50mm Summicron is starting to lightly haze. I don't know if it is because the weather in New York is now amazingly hot, and sticky, and the lens is nearly 45 years old and has never been serviced because it was essentially new in box when I got it. 

I guess my main question is honestly where is the place to get this cleaned as best as possible? I would like to put an end to this ASAP. I know about Sherry and Don, but would sending it to Leica NJ cost about the same amount or a little more?

Thank you in advance, 

Greg 

It might take considerably more time, but since you are in New York, why don't you drop in on Leica and ask?

I probably will end up doing that. I was just trying to get an idea of what people paid before I head out there. I have had a few problems with them in the past with pricing. 

The last 50 Summicron DAG did for me a month ago was a type 1 collapsible with haze, dry & wobbly mount, etc. I didn't ask him to adjust focus (which can add more), and it came back like new for under $200. (But I believe each case is charged by how much work it needs.)

From the age I'd guess yours might be a type 3 (11817), which is simpler than a collapsible.

The last 50 Summicron DAG did for me a month ago was a type 1 collapsible with haze, dry & wobbly mount, etc. I didn't ask him to adjust focus (which can add more), and it came back like new for under $200. (But I believe each case is charged by how much work it needs.)

From the age I'd guess yours might be a type 3 (11817), which is simpler than a collapsible.

Yeah this is the one, I believe it is a V3

What was the turn around time like for you? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah this is the one, I believe it is a V3

What was the turn around time like for you? 

Don completed and shipped back one month after I shipped it to him. That, of course, varies with work load. He once had my M5 almost a year, but did a great job with it.

I notice the v3 I bought in 1969 has gained a bit of "glow" - so I'll be sending him mine pretty soon.

Don has done several overhauls for me and has always done great work. In your case, I'd probably send it to him instead of to NJ, but that's more gut feel than anything concrete. Don did my M3, a 50/2 DR (with grinding to work on a digital body and coding), a 1.2 Noctilux and a Thambar. Excellent work across the board

Might be worth giving Youxin Ye a call.

He CLAd and cleaned the optics in two of my lenses, 28mm Elmarit-M and 35mm Summilux pre ASPH, $90 each.

I sent the package to him on a Monday and received the lenses the following Monday.

Solid service and a price that would be hard to beat.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lebanese blonde
      Hallo miteinander,
      ich habe gestern mal ein paar Vergleichsfotos eines 50mm Summicron v4 (Canada-Version mit Tigertatze) und eines Voigtländer Nokton 50mm 1.5 (1. Version) gemacht.
      Der Test hat keinerlei wissenschaftlichen Anspruch, es hat mich einfach selbst interessiert wie sehr sich die Bilder der beiden Unterscheiden. Bei den Bildern handelt es sich um jpgs direkt aus der M240. Natürlich könnte man auch RAWs vergleichen, aber dazu hatte ich gestern keine Lust 😆
      Die Bilder sind alle ungefähr bei der Naheinstellgrenze aufgenommen, für einen ausführlichen Vergleich müsste man sich natürlich noch weitere Entfernungen, andere Motive und weitere Lichtsituationen anschauen. Es handelt sich wie gesagt um eine Spielerei, vielleicht hilft es ja jemandem der gerade in einer Kaufentscheidung steckt  
      Leider hat iMovie nur eine Speicherung in 720p zugelassen, aber auch in der höchsten Auflösung der jpgs ist das Ergebnis in meinen Augen das gleiche.
      Für mich etwas überaschend, ich habe mir einen viel größeren Unterschied im Look erwartet.
      https://youtu.be/l7j3Yck5rS8

Nachtrag: 
      Video eingebettet
    • By Linus458
      I found this Carl Zeiss Jena lens for Leica SM (M39) at a flea market. This is what I could find about it:
      The Herar should be cheaper opportunity to the Carl Zeiss Biogon. It was originally produced for the Contax mount. The lens was produced around 500-1000 times. The one i found appears to be a prototype/sample for the Leica screw mount M39. It has a connection for the range finder and the aperture can be controlled with the front ring of the lens. It was produced before 1939. 
      I hope I got everything right.
      My two questions:
      Are the infos are all right (age, Version etc.)
      and since inform own a Leica with drew Mount I want to sell it. What is the right price? (I only found two offers online both around 3000usd, is it really worth that much?) 
      I also read that one was sold at a Auction at Christies in 1992. 
      I’m very thankful for any held or answer ✌🏻

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By oekoek
    • By FumihitoTF
       Hello from Japan. I bought a used Leica M7 because it was a great price with two lenses. I love the features and proportions of the M7. Most of all, I love the fact that the camera was born in 2002 (I have a personal attachment to 2002). Of course, there is the issue of the repairability of the electronic shutter.
       Now, my Leica M7 that I bought is a bit scratched up. It's used, and it's an early model of the M7. But since it is my first Leica and I plan to travel with it until it is beyond repair, I want to freshen it up and make it beautiful. Initially, I was looking for a repainter, but I couldn't find one who repainted the M7, at least not in Japan. In the course of my research, I found out that Leica offers Redesign Options, and on Reddit I found a guy who had replaced the top cover of his M7.
       Is it possible to revive the Leica M7 with Leica's Redesign Options? Also, has anyone done that? I would like to do an overhaul on my Leica and replace the exterior parts at the same time. There is not much information about that. If the replacement of the exterior is not possible, I would like to engrave the print on the top cover.
      Thanks in advance.
      P.S. I heard that Leica Japan is a bit unresponsive on that front, so I'm asking here.
    • By IntrepidTraveller6
      I have noticed in the two more recent outings with my M240 that i have a lot of dust on my sensor. The attached image is from the most recent outing to see the airshow. The circles are the spot removal I had to do to fix all the dust. As you can see it is substantial. Note that I was stopped down to F22 on a 90mm lens to get the depth needed for the air crafts and people to be in focus. So the dust was more apparent in the image. 
      I have cleaned the sensor with the blower multiple times. I have cleaned the sensor with swab and solution once between the outings. I switch lenses often enough for dust to get in, I expect it to happen. My problem is that after cleaning the sensor so thoroughly I should not have this much dust. It appears that using the blower provides minimal help and the swab basically nothing. 
      Has anyone experienced such persistent dust? Could this be some sort of corrosion on the sensor?
      I am debating sending it in for a repair and service to fix the issue. Has anyone used this service before and has an idea of cost, procedure, and effectiveness in getting a clean sensor back?