Light Haze Starting In 50mm Summicron

gdw310

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

I noticed my 50mm Summicron is starting to lightly haze. I don't know if it is because the weather in New York is now amazingly hot, and sticky, and the lens is nearly 45 years old and has never been serviced because it was essentially new in box when I got it. 

I guess my main question is honestly where is the place to get this cleaned as best as possible? I would like to put an end to this ASAP. I know about Sherry and Don, but would sending it to Leica NJ cost about the same amount or a little more?

Thank you in advance, 

Greg  :)

It might take considerably more time, but since you are in New York, why don't you drop in on Leica and ask?

I probably will end up doing that. I was just trying to get an idea of what people paid before I head out there. I have had a few problems with them in the past with pricing. 

The last 50 Summicron DAG did for me a month ago was a type 1 collapsible with haze, dry & wobbly mount, etc. I didn't ask him to adjust focus (which can add more), and it came back like new for under $200. (But I believe each case is charged by how much work it needs.)

From the age I'd guess yours might be a type 3 (11817), which is simpler than a collapsible.

The last 50 Summicron DAG did for me a month ago was a type 1 collapsible with haze, dry & wobbly mount, etc. I didn't ask him to adjust focus (which can add more), and it came back like new for under $200. (But I believe each case is charged by how much work it needs.)

From the age I'd guess yours might be a type 3 (11817), which is simpler than a collapsible.

Yeah this is the one, I believe it is a V3

What was the turn around time like for you? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah this is the one, I believe it is a V3

What was the turn around time like for you? 

Don completed and shipped back one month after I shipped it to him. That, of course, varies with work load. He once had my M5 almost a year, but did a great job with it.

I notice the v3 I bought in 1969 has gained a bit of "glow" - so I'll be sending him mine pretty soon.

• Like 1

Don has done several overhauls for me and has always done great work. In your case, I'd probably send it to him instead of to NJ, but that's more gut feel than anything concrete. Don did my M3, a 50/2 DR (with grinding to work on a digital body and coding), a 1.2 Noctilux and a Thambar. Excellent work across the board

• Like 1

Might be worth giving Youxin Ye a call.

He CLAd and cleaned the optics in two of my lenses, 28mm Elmarit-M and 35mm Summilux pre ASPH, $90 each.

I sent the package to him on a Monday and received the lenses the following Monday.

Solid service and a price that would be hard to beat.