My Q hang up when I want to switch it off

I haven't seen this behavior either.  Try a full reset and see if the issue is still present.  That combined with a restart should result in the firmware doing a fresh load.  If that doesn't cure the issue it is most likely a hardware issue.

• 3 months later...

Just wondering how long have each of you had the camera, basically is this a early fault or something that has started after a period of use, weeks, months etc. 

I have had cameras hang up if you try to shut down before write to the card is done, or not formatted in  the camera.

Just as a caution always format a card each and every time you install into your camera.

Cheers

Just wondering how long have each of you had the camera, basically is this a early fault or something that has started after a period of use, weeks, months etc. 

I have had cameras hang up if you try to shut down before write to the card is done, or not formatted in  the camera.

Just as a caution always format a card each and every time you install into your camera.

Cheers

you mean we should formatte the card every time we put it into the camera? and should formatte the card on computer, not on the camera? if like that, the Q has formatting function on camera, it is not meaning

Edited by cafecacao

I have always made it a practice to format the card in the camera prior to use.  It is not uncommon to use a card among several cameras, as I do this for a living.  I do not see any reason to format a card in the computer as this does not sure the same file organization as required by the camera.  

Place card in camera,  take photos, take card out and load photos to the computer, place card back into camera and format once again.

Very simple indeed.

Cheers

Simple but for some situations not effective.

As soon as there is the suspicion that something might be amiss with the card, you should format it on your computer, but not with the built-in formatting functions but with the utility program which has been provided by SD card association, the SD Formatter. The reason for this recommendation is that an SD card does not work like a magnetic storage device. As soon as there is the possibility that individual blocks of storage might be damaged, the software in the camera or the normal function of the operating system will be unable to recover those blocks and to make them usable again. Both the software in the camera and in your OS rely on the blocks working correctly.

Difficulties storing images or - even more so - removing the power supply while the camera might be trying to write to the card might be caused by problems of this kind. Even worse, interrupting the writing in this way may introduce this very problem.

Switching the camera off while it is writing to the card usually is ok as the camera will only shut itself down when it is done writing. 

I think (but do not know for sure) that the camera is only doing a "high level" format, i.e. writing the label and directory structure to the card.  I'm basing this guess on the speed upon which the camera takes to format a card.  Also, formatting an 8G card takes about the same amount of time as a 32G card.

There is something called the SD Formatter made by the SD Association.  You can get it here: SD Card Formatter - SD Association

It is available for both Mac and PC.   The "Overwrite Format" option for my 8 GB card took minutes, not the seconds that an in camera format takes.

Does formatting the card in camera reset the numbering of the image files? A reset would destroy my file management.

I don't think so, but I've not done comprehensive tests.  I have formatted multiple cards both in and out of the camera and the camera is still incrementing the file number from where it left off.