Will the Q stop the T system?

The crop button on the Q is more useful than I thought it would be, because in many cases, I do not want to take a 24MP photo (if I am going to post it to Instagram, family pictures, etc.). From a marketing/branding perspective, it also gives Leica a highly visible, useable way to keep the "rangefinder look" without an actual rangefinder. 

While the Q is a surprisingly flexible fixed-lens camera, the T is a super-cool, smaller, interchangeable lens camera that needs more native prime lenses. And by more, I mean more than 1. 

When I had the GF1, I carried around two prime lenses: the 20mm/1.7 and the (Leica) 45mm/2.8. I could have added the 14mm/2.5 as well, which would have given me 28mm/40mm/90mm. I am looking for something similar with the T. 

• Like 2

One thing though, using the Q as a 35 mm camera will give the viewfinder the M-type "outside the frame" aspect.

At the expense of the sensor you are paying for. I am sure an OVF would be cheaper

Look I have played with the Q quite a lot now and I think it's great. I also think the crop modes are well implemented. But for 35mm the 113 is better value and knock yourself with the rest of the view when using the rear screen, or alternatively use the VF keeping both eyes open - yes a brilliant usage of an external VF which many people miss ....

• Like 2

Using an additional OVF will lose you all advantages of the EVF and does not work for manual focusing.

Anyway, the T and the Q system are so different that it is very unlikely that one will impact on the other.

• Like 2

Using an additional OVF will lose you all advantages of the EVF and does not work for manual focusing.

Anyway, the T and the Q system are so different that it is very unlikely that one will impact on the other.

You're quite right about manual focusing with an EVF . . . . and someone was moaning that it doesn't have a nice green light to indicate AF achieved  - but the truth is the AF on the Q is pretty unerring, so you don't really need confirmation. On that basis I can see why someone would like to use an OVF with AF on the Q.

I'm right with you about the Q and the T system though - seems to me there is almost no overlap - I can see a real argument for having both, but personally, much as I liked the Q, I'm sticking to the T system, because it's just that - a system, and because it's such a good companion to my beloved M.

I do agree with Stuart that it needs new primes - but I'm sure they'll come, personally I can always stick an M lens on (which works pretty well). 

• Like 2

Well, yes, I quite agree about that aspect of the OVF, I use the X1 (when I use it nowadays, it has turned into a bit of a couch potato) mostly with an 35 mm finder on, despite less than perfect AF.

• Like 1

Or the X might merge with the Digilux, making that one less "Panasonic"

I think the Q is more likely to end the run of the X than the T. Q and X seem redundant to me, only a matter of time before the Q has a zoom.

• Like 1

Just back from a short trip in the Alps looking for lower temperature! And with the old X1with the OVF ! 

I desire to thank you all for your contributions. It's strange, when the T came out I didn't even consider it, I had the feeling it was just an exercise from leica. But than, one year later (yes, I'm not an early adapter!) I started to think about it as the interchangeable lens system for the ones not ready to commit to the M-240 and similar. The interface seems me simple and easy to use from what I saw the only time I played a couple of minutes with it in a shop. Af quicker than my bold x1.

So, it could be a good companion to the M7 ...I think I'll try it, for sure one more camera sold doesn't change the sales figure for Leica but in order to support the system someone has to buy one! And that 23 seems real a good lens...

robert

• Like 1

Thanks for the link!!!  Very interesting.  I thing before I mess with a T to convert, would try on a much cheaper camera!!!  Might look for something on Ebay before I destroy a nice one.  Hmmmm....I have some point and shoot old Lumix cameras laying around....time to see what is inside!!!!  This could be fun.  Shhhhhh, don't tell my husband.......

• Like 1

Just back from a short trip in the Alps looking for lower temperature! And with the old X1with the OVF ! 

I desire to thank you all for your contributions. It's strange, when the T came out I didn't even consider it, I had the feeling it was just an exercise from leica. But than, one year later (yes, I'm not an early adapter!) I started to think about it as the interchangeable lens system for the ones not ready to commit to the M-240 and similar. The interface seems me simple and easy to use from what I saw the only time I played a couple of minutes with it in a shop. Af quicker than my bold x1.

So, it could be a good companion to the M7 ...I think I'll try it, for sure one more camera sold doesn't change the sales figure for Leica but in order to support the system someone has to buy one! And that 23 seems real a good lens...

robert

Hi Robert

If it's any consolation, I have finally cracked and bought a T for myself (it arrives tomorrow) . . . . more than 18 months after the first test camera arrived. It isn't perfect, but it kinda gets under your skin, it's a delight to use, and the images are lovely.

best

Jono

• Like 3

Hi Robert

If it's any consolation, I have finally cracked and bought a T for myself (it arrives tomorrow) . . . . more than 18 months after the first test camera arrived. It isn't perfect, but it kinda gets under your skin, it's a delight to use, and the images are lovely.

best

Jono

Hi Jono,

Just wondering which lenses you will be getting?  I only have the 23 but I have been thinking about the 11-23 lately as well...

Best, Joris.

• Like 1

I have had the T for 3 weeks now and really like it. Selling my M8 as soon as I get around to it.  I like the T quite a bit as I am one of those who wanted an interchangeable lens system without committing to the M240.  I use the 28 Summicron, 50 Summilux, and just got a 23mm T.  It is a bit tricky to focus with the M lenses, so I just open up to their widest aperture and go for the out of focus.  And it is so portable and light weight.  The autofocus with the 23 works well.

• Like 2

I think the Q is more likely to end the run of the X than the T. Q and X seem redundant to me, only a matter of time before the Q has a zoom.

I hope not.  While the Q is an improvement in every way except focal length (which is just different, not better), it is also more than double the price.

I see the Q and the X sitting nicely together in the same brand the same way Mercedes Benz has the C and the S class in the same showroom.  Both are sedans, they share a common design language, but one is clearly better than the other and comes at an appropriately higher price.

The X113 is only a year old and while its EVF doesn't have the same resolution as the Q's, it is still the equal of any other EVF on the market.  The autofocus isn't the fastest out there, but it is still fast enough.  Finally other than Q, no other fixed lens compact has better build or a better lens except possibly the Sony RX1.

The X113 excels at the same type of photography that the Q does.  Its like comparing an M240 with a 28mm lens against an M9 with a 35mm lens. Both are outstanding, there is considerable overlap, and while the more modern setup is clearly better, it is also much more expensive.  Nobody has ever complained about the image quality of the X series, or the T for that matter.

• Like 2

Good point. We will see how many lines Leica ultimately wants to carry once it has settled down on testing new tech in the market. Which is what T and Q are about. Ultimately a very different M emerges. I hope X stays around too. Smaller firms are usually more limited in the range they can effectively offer. Not counting rebadging

Leica has a slower refresh cycle (3 years) than other brands, so they can probably afford more models.  The X1 was released in 2009, the X2 in 2012 and other than a color change it remains in production today as the X-E.  The X Vario was released in 2013 and is still in production in 2015.  The M9 still exists as the M-E and the M240, released in 2012 is still the current model.

The X is paid for, so it should remain in the lineup as long as Leica can sell them.  Right now it fits a place in the market below the Q, but above the competition (Fuji X100T).  The Q is at the top right now, but I doubt it will stay there for long, and in three years or so we'll get a newer model.

I think both T and Q are also a market test for Leica, to see how customer and potential customer react to alternative for the "classic" M line RF based (digital or not". The reaction could drive the next choices by the company.

It seems me Q got an excellent reaction but the T doesn't show much activity. Not sure if too innovative, too high price, not yet fully developed system are the causes of this. I feel an innovative product needs more time to enter the market and more effort from the company (advertising, promotion, special offers...). The Q is very innovative but in a more "classic" way ... not sure if my english can explain this concept good enough, let's say innovative (autofocus) but in a classic shape.

The Q forum shows more activity than the T forum :-)

Just my free wheel thinking.

robert

I don't think you can measure the success or non success by forum activity?  The Q is new and everyone talking about it and the T is old news.  A year from now, another camera may be the buzz.  A new M that is more like the T......I speculate?

• Like 5