Will the Q stop the T system?

Developing a new lens mount, and new lenses to go with it, is a huge financial commitment, especially for a 'small' company like Leica. It's not the kind of thing you would do to test customer reaction. 

I think the T mount must be here to stay, and quite right too.

Yes, of course it's not only made to test the market, They are made to be sold!  I try to explain better,  I mean sales figures could give indications about clients expectations and in this way drive the development of next cameras. 

robert

The T is the most unique and innovative camera on the market based on the user interface alone.  I don't believe it's competing with the Q to see which one has features the market wants.  There are plenty of other cameras and camera makers out there that one can follow the market, to decide what users want before building a camera.  It either makes it or it doesn't.  Hopefully both the T AND the Q are winners.

• Like 3

Yes, of course it's not only made to test the market, They are made to be sold!  I try to explain better,  I mean sales figures could give indications about clients expectations and in this way drive the development of next cameras. 

robert

Hi Robert

I'm sure sales figures will give them pointers as to the next camera body ..  just not as to whether there will be one or not :)  - but of course, I'm only guessing.

• Like 2

Developing a new lens mount, and new lenses to go with it, is a huge financial commitment, especially for a 'small' company like Leica. It's not the kind of thing you would do to test customer reaction. 

I think the T mount must be here to stay, and quite right too.

'T' lens manufacture is contracted out to Japanese optical companies thus expensive Leica 'in-house' production is not required. If the 'T' is , "here to stay" it's about time those who've committed themselves to the 'system' :rolleyes: had access to a reasonable 'T' AF lens inventory. All we have currently are 3 zoom lenses and 1 semi-wide angle prime; the'T' 'system' is short of a fast prime(s) and a long focal length macro lens all of which should be within Leica's capabilities.

How long do we have to wait? 

Super camera … shame about the lack of 'T' system AF optics. 

dunk

• Like 1

Also wondering if the 'T' mount will be / could be used on a Leica FF mirrorless camera? If Leica does have a FF mirrorless camera in the pipeline and if the 'T' is here to stay, would make good sense to have just one mount - rather than two. And the current M to T adaptor would then make more sense too. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The T mount appears to be slightly larger than the R mount, so yes, it can be used on a full frame mirrorless camera.   It makes sense to use one mount foe aps-c and ff.

Edited by rsh

The T mount appears to be slightly larger than the R mount, so yes, it can be used on a full frame mirrorless camera.   It makes sense to use one mount foe aps-c and ff.

Interesting idea, in future as example a 35mm (FF) F1,4 could be used on both  bodies, on aps as a 50 and on the FF as 35. Now that rumored 35 noctilux...

robert

'T' lens manufacture is contracted out to Japanese optical companies thus expensive Leica 'in-house' production is not required. If the 'T' is , "here to stay" it's about time those who've committed themselves to the 'system' :rolleyes: had access to a reasonable 'T' AF lens inventory. All we have currently are 3 zoom lenses and 1 semi-wide angle prime; the'T' 'system' is short of a fast prime(s) and a long focal length macro lens all of which should be within Leica's capabilities.

How long do we have to wait? 

Super camera … shame about the lack of 'T' system AF optics. 

dunk

you can see the glass half empty or half full.

We do have a UWA-zoom which is optically better than what we have from Sony, we have a midrange zoom which is not super fast but  a nice smal size and still very good IQ, adn the same is valid for the Tele Zoom. And we have (IMO) the most important focal length 35mm FOV (=23) also in a nice size-speed-compromise.

I would appreciate something with a 50-60mm equivalent and maybe a 85 portrait lens, but I think the zooms are much better than what many other brands have to offer for their mirrorless.

At the moment the 23 is my favorite lens.

• Like 1

My wife an I are hoping we can take some time this fall for a trip to Prague and Budapest. If we can go, my plan is too take the T with the 11-23 and 55-135 and an M 240 or M5 with a 35 Summicron ASPH and / or a 50 Summilux ASPH.

• Like 2

It's notably bigger than the Sony E mount as well, but of course, Leica have denied that they're making a full frame T mount Camera.

It's notably bigger than the Sony E mount as well, but of course, Leica have denied that they're making a full frame T mount Camera.

To quote Mandy Rice Davies (ish) , "Well they would say that … wouldn't they !"   ;)

And those in the know would never let on :)

But interesting to hear that at least one more 'T' was bought recently by someone who admires the system and has confidence in it!! … INNIT :) 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Yes, i also find it reassuring that jono does not want to be without a t and purchased one. Now i know there is only one to blame if i get a disastrous shot again. :-)

anyway, i am glad that the Q is received well and also seems to sel very well. And i heard it also got a touch screen... It does not look like a big step to develop an upgrade kit for the T based on the inards of the Q. And i would like that. Gladly wait two years!

Edited by Hunebed

Experience has shown me to enjoy the today rather then fret about the tomorrow

What Leica has it has. Be happy

The T makes a wonderful travel kit without the need for other cameras

Or you could take an X vario and 113

Or a M and a few lenses

Choice is cool

• Like 2

Experience has shown me to enjoy the today rather then fret about the tomorrow

What Leica has it has. Be happy

The T makes a wonderful travel kit without the need for other cameras

Or you could take an X vario and 113

Or a M and a few lenses

Choice is cool

Thats the problem I have every time I travel; what to take.  Last trip to Korea was with the X113 (used about 80% of the time) and the M-E with 35, 50 and 90mm lenses (only used the 50).

Next trip I'll take the X Vario and the M Monochrom OR M5 and ONLY a 50mm lens.  Again I can see myself using the X Vario about 80% of the time and taking the M out mostly for nights on the town.

Choice is wonderful.

Thats the problem I have every time I travel; what to take. Last trip to Korea was with the X113 (used about 80% of the time) and the M-E with 35, 50 and 90mm lenses (only used the 50).

Next trip I'll take the X Vario and the M Monochrom OR M5 and ONLY a 50mm lens. Again I can see myself using the X Vario about 80% of the time and taking the M out mostly for nights on the town.

Choice is wonderful.

I believe this is called a 1st world problem ;)

• Like 2

To quote Mandy Rice Davies (ish) , "Well they would say that … wouldn't they !"   ;)

And those in the know would never let on :)

But interesting to hear that at least one more 'T' was bought recently by someone who admires the system and has confidence in it!! … INNIT :)

dunk

Yes, i also find it reassuring that jono does not want to be without a t and purchased one. Now i know there is only one to blame if i get a disastrous shot again. :-)

Hah! A good camera is a good camera - I really like the T, I also think that the 3 existing zooms (together with the fast M primes) will do for now (although, like Dunk I'd like to see a fast prime and a macro and a fast 300 equivalent). . . . . but yes, the cameras I own are an M-P, a M246 Monocrhom and a T (and an Olympus E-M5ii which I hardly use) 

• Like 3

A number of issues as regards myself.

I cannot use "touch" screens as they don't see me!

Years of fine precision work or simply my skin not a contact.

the i-phone, the Leica T are dead for me.

Sales are plain lousy, that's why the Q.

The Q possibly the most expensive point and shoot,

without a zoom..(remember this is for me).

I use a Canon 1200 PS digital.

It does all i require and need. Cost $70.

A number of issues as regards myself.

I cannot use "touch" screens as they don't see me!

Years of fine precision work or simply my skin not a contact.

the i-phone, the Leica T are dead for me.

Sales are plain lousy, that's why the Q.

The Q possibly the most expensive point and shoot,

without a zoom..(remember this is for me).

I use a Canon 1200 PS digital.

It does all i require and need. Cost $70.

If I wear leather gloves the T's touch screen does not work … so screen's sensitivity could depend on skin type … but probably not peculiar just to the 'T'. 

So … the 'T' is alien proof :)

dunk