Do the 28mm make you happy?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

the Q is an incredible beast compared to my Xses...

But I am not sure how the 28mm will work out for me in the long run. Mainly I am taking pictures of my kids. Not necessarily portraits but of course often from small distances.  To be honest for this purpose the 35mm seem more suitable. I just hope this is because I am used to this focal length for years now (since the X1) and I will adapt to the new setting.

Any hints to change my shooting style to get away from the "big nose - small feet-pictures" :-) ? Is it just going one step back before taking a picture?

- TK

I agree with the above. I hadn't thought that I would have used the 35mm crop as I AM a 28mm sort of Guy but I find that it gives a real RF like experience and the files are plenty big enough for normal use. I even find myself using the 50mm crop

TK!

I'm somewhat baffled. You say you are just using the Q for snapshots of your kids etc., surely therefore a zoom lens would be more appropriate! Have you considered the V-Lux bridge range for snapshots and the Q for more serious work?..

I agree with the above. I hadn't thought that I would have used the 35mm crop as I AM a 28mm sort of Guy but I find that it gives a real RF like experience and the files are plenty big enough for normal use. I even find myself using the 50mm crop

I have seen your 50 crops in the galleries which are very good on a monitor. Just curious if in your experience the lower MP files can be printed in an A3 (30x45 cm or  11x16 inch) format?

Thanks for your opinion, robert

PS: I like what you make from the Q 

The whole obsession with MP is quite funny, I have a 1m wide canvas on my wall from a photo I took 5+ years ago on 4MP Canon IXUS and it's still one of my favorite shots (of the Charles bridge in Prague). I think the prevalence of HD and retina screens means we all pixel peep far too much and worry too much about how photos look on a screen at 400% magnification when the reality is that it only actually matters how they look once they are in the format we're going to see them in regularly and print is much more forgiving than a computer screen.

If you're doing work for billboards, models, etc then you might need sharp 10MP+ shots but for prints on a wall or in frames you really don't need the 20MP that camera manufacturers would have you believe.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree wholeheartedly with Ricky. At some point I will do a A3+ print when I find something I want at that size but I am sure from what I see from the files that I will be more than happy with the print. For me it is the content and composition that is more important that ultimate sharpness and MP's, Remember that some of the worlds greates shots were taken of film stock like Tr-X 400 and HP5 with all the grain that that entails.

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

love the 28, if it was 35 I wouldn't get it...
working in the 35mm crop mode is also great, the frame is almost a full screen and the 15MP that you are left with are still more then enough for large prints

Edited by skor

I agree wholeheartedly with Ricky. At some point I will do a A3+ print when I find something I want at that size but I am sure from what I see from the files that I will be more than happy with the print. For me it is the content and composition that is more important that ultimate sharpness and MP's, Remember that some of the worlds greates shots were taken of film stock like Tr-X 400 and HP5 with all the grain that that entails.

Yes, I agree with your view and ricky1981 as well. First content and composition, than other technicalities ... thanks for comments which made me feeling more .. interested (?) in this camera  :)

robert

PS: I still print (sometime) A3 from my x1 sometimes cropped files...

I've been shooting the last 4 years 35mm exclusively. The 28 is really challenging for me when shooting in the streets.

But i'm slowly getting comfortable with this focal length step by step. I still can use the 35mm crop. And this is even more than good

enough in terms of IQ and MP. The 35mm frameline really really works good! In september i will be on vacation in

scandanavia for landscape shooting. I think the Q will rock that! I conclude the the Q is more flexible than many

people think!

• Like 1

TK!

I'm somewhat baffled. You say you are just using the Q for snapshots of your kids etc., surely therefore a zoom lens would be more appropriate! Have you considered the V-Lux bridge range for snapshots and the Q for more serious work?..

I never missed a zoom with the Xes at 35mm. And I still hope this will work out at 28mm. Yesterday's pictures were just incredible from IQ point of view. High ISO and fast moving kids (very serious work :-))

Thanks

-TK

Hi all,

the Q is an incredible beast compared to my Xses...

But I am not sure how the 28mm will work out for me in the long run. Mainly I am taking pictures of my kids. Not necessarily portraits but of course often from small distances.  To be honest for this purpose the 35mm seem more suitable. I just hope this is because I am used to this focal length for years now (since the X1) and I will adapt to the new setting.

Any hints to change my shooting style to get away from the "big nose - small feet-pictures" :-) ? Is it just going one step back before taking a picture?

- TK

I really like the 28mm field of view; it gives you just that little bit more to play with. If you're struggling with big noses and small feet, I think you might be going about it the wrong way. 

There are no right answers, but you do need to reassess what you're doing. One of our former, highly respected, but no longer contributing members, a man called Lars Berquist from Sweden, held to the view that composing with a wide meant taking a more multi-subject, or two dimensional oriental perspective on composition. He really liked the SEM 21, but the same comments would apply to the 28. 

Others who who do more architecture and the like will tell you to get the horizon level, and get square to verticals. Very logical. Others will tell you to be a little more imaginative about changing the perspective, filing the empty space, and thinking more about your subject than following rules (have a look at Ragnar Axelsson - not sure about whether he uses a 28, but he has his own set of rules). 

Then, I'd try a bit of everything. 28mm challenges you, but in a good way to think about your subject, and context. Just make sure you get nice and close to your subject. A picture always needs a subject. 28mm then gives context. It's good. 

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 4

TK!

Or the excellent D-Lux range? For your family shots the current Typ109 would be excellent and it has a fine EVF which works well. It might not have the resolution of the Q, but that would be a minor consideration given the shooting flexibilty you would have with the 24-75mm zoom. You can even set the zoom to stop at normal focal lengths which can be remembered for the next session.

"Does the 28 make you happy?"

I personally have never warmed up to this focal length, although have it for the M.  Much prefer 35mm to 50mm.  For certain shots the 28 forces you to get closer to the subject unless you are happy about cropping, which I prefer not to do.  And a lot of times, getting closer isn't an option.  Is why I am not yet considering the Q.  Sure, you can turn on cropping.....but then is that what you buy this expensive camera for?  Seems to me, if you bought full frame, you want to shoot full frame. Otherwise, turning a very expensive point and shoot camera into a much less expensive equivalent.  Food for thought.....

• Like 1

Fo r the last 5years(?)(has it been that long?)  I have been using my x1 and 35mm as my primary lens/camera.  For the past 2-3 weeks I have been using the Q.  I can honestly say I enjoy the 'extra' view I am getting with the Q.  

Still learning it it and no wall hangers yet but I think soon I shall make the Q sing.  

I think it will be perfect for pictures of the kids.