Q faults so far

Has anyone had an issue of the lcd (or Q for that matter) freeze on them? I just received mine and have not had much time to play with it. Twice so far, once when I went into exposure compensation, and another when I had the camera connected to my computer to view photos, the entire camera froze. Even if I turned off the camera, the screen would stay on and only when I removed the battery could I resolve the issue. My concern is this not being a firmware issue, anyone else experience this?

Sorry for my first post to be a downer!

Dangorange

the few lock ups I experienced were months ago.  I think that once you get the camera configured and the battery charged a couple of times, the problem will disappear.

as regards file transfer, I'm not clear whether you connected your camera to your computer with a cable or via the wi-fi feature.  I use neither.  Putting the card into a reader or direct sdcard slot seems more reliable.  The wifi transfer works but it's a slow and frustrating procedure if you have many images.

Well I feel better about this freezing issue, worked with the Q for a while now and have not had it lock up. I did notice that mine has the the upper left clicking noise pointed out. Is this something that people are living with, or actively working on having fixed? I could see it being sort of annoying, but if it's absolutely not indicative of a worsening problem, maybe I can let it slide. Happy I bought from a local awesome camera store, but I'll want to address everything I'm observing immediately to them. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sp today while working between, Aperture mode and using the viewfinder to review an image (playback mode) the EVF went to white blank screen, when I took my eye away and used the LCD panel view was normal, back to the EVF the screen is white.

Had to power down to reset the camera.  I assume this is a firmware glitch under certain conditions.  Hope this does not become a on going problem.

• Like 1

I'm one of those not really lucky with this Leica Q.

Camera itself it's fantastic and I'm making a lot of interesting photos (take a look to my site if you want) but Leica Italy changed mine FIVE times and on friday I had mine fifth one with the same, persistent, annoying and low quality control symptom of clicking rear LCD.

I think it's not only about misfortune here, but a real design flaw. Really different serial numbers, from 15th June until 4th of September production date.

I know at least 10 people here in Italy with the same annoying situation.

Moreover Leica sent me an email stating that this clicking issue is considered as a problem and camera must be replaced. I don't know what's going on but for now I've decided to stop to change these cameras.

Cross my fingers for dust problems and falling off LCD cover in the future.

Michele, I've been paying attention to your problems with this issue and I'm sorry that every camera you've had replaced seems to exhibit this. I definitely have it and it's a bit disconcerting, in fact, I am awaiting on a replacement from Leica that should arrive in a couple of days. I am also anticipating the replacement having the same issue, mostly because it seems so prevalent. My plan is, if the replacement has the same issue, I'll certainly make a note of it to the shop and Leica, but since they seem to have a decent warranty I'm sure it can be addressed through that if it reveals itself as a potential future problem. i. e. dust entry point, humidity between the view finder etc. 

If I knew this was absolutely no issue going forward then that would be fine, although I would appreciate knowing what it is. Especially since not every camera seems to exhibit this behavior. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Leica Q won't allow any adjustments of time with the thumb dial in manual setting (M) - first it worked beautifully, then after a night of star photography it stopped working. So no way to take pics with more than 1 sec. I tried everything - resetting the camera, taking out the battery, changing the SD card... nothing helped. I will probably have to send it in to Leica - does anyone know how long it can take until one gets back one's camera?

And is there a bulb mode or is it just my faulty camera that won't allow it?

My Leica Q won't allow any adjustments of time with the thumb dial in manual setting (M) - first it worked beautifully, then after a night of star photography it stopped working. So no way to take pics with more than 1 sec. I tried everything - resetting the camera, taking out the battery, changing the SD card... nothing helped. I will probably have to send it in to Leica - does anyone know how long it can take until one gets back one's camera?

And is there a bulb mode or is it just my faulty camera that won't allow it?

No bulb mode but you do need to have the shutter wheel set to +1 and then use the thumb wheel to scroll through to set longer exposures, which max out at 30 seconds. Other settings may limit that to shorter speeds though. 

No bulb mode but you do need to have the shutter wheel set to +1 and then use the thumb wheel to scroll through to set longer exposures, which max out at 30 seconds. Other settings may limit that to shorter speeds though. 

Thanks, unfortunately that won't work anymore - nothing happens when I use the thumb wheel... :-(

Thanks, unfortunately that won't work anymore - nothing happens when I use the thumb wheel... :-(

(1)  Is the thumb wheel working to provide + or - Exposure Compensation (visible as a scale on the LCD)  when your speed dial is set to A and the Aperture Control Ring is set to (say) f1.7?

(2)  Have you set Scene Mode (in the menu) to Auto instead of PASM.    That would disable the the Thumb Wheel.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

No comment from LeslieW (post # 50)    I wonder if I hit the nail on the head with Solution (2) above.     It would be nice to know one way or the other!  Dealing with other people's problems is rewarding but time-consuming and can be of great help to others.

I also think that more use should be made of subject Tags related to posts.  

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 2

Hello there,

just got my brand new Leica Q a few days ago. Really beautiful camera, however, has anyone noticed a strange "white band light reflex" on the EVF outer screen when shooting in vertical mode or even if the camera is off? Basically, if you hold the camera in vertical position (mostly with the shutter button below), I can see a "white band reflex" on the screen if I have a strong light source to my right side or behind me. Did you noticed the same? It is quite annoying and it is not an electronic effect since I can see it even when the camera is off. I would say it is a light reflex on the EVF outer screen when shooting in vertical mode. Nothing apperas if the camera is in the horizontal position.

Thanks for posting your experience. Please note there is no impact on the final image which is perfect, however it is a pretty annoying effect when shooting in vertical mode. The light shines on the external EVF creates a sort of white light band. Again, this is obvious when shooting in vertican mode. Not in horizonal mode. Please let me know if you noticed the same, otherwise my EVF is faulty and need to return the camera. What do you think? thanks

I've reported an issue with the EVF calibration in a separate post. The image composed using EVF is very different to the final output, subjects moved to the bottom right. Composing using the LCD doesn't have this issue. I've had the Q since September and was one of the first models in Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

No comment from LeslieW (post # 50)    I wonder if I hit the nail on the head with Solution (2) above.     It would be nice to know one way or the other!  Dealing with other people's problems is rewarding but time-consuming and can be of great help to others.

I also think that more use should be made of subject Tags related to posts.  

Thank you for your help and so sorry I haven't answered yet! None of your ideas helped, I had to send it in to Leica (Switzerland or Germany...), seemingly it's a known problem... I really hope to get it back soon again, just love that camera...

I also got some dust spots (even though closing all possible openings with tape), I hope they can clean the sensor at the same time.

I got my camera back from Leica Switzerland - very nice and friendly service - they exchanged one or two technical details and did a sensor cleaning. Since I take my camera with me for serious mountaineering it has a few scratches, still they did the work for free.

I got it back within a week. I checked the long exposure > 1 sec - first it worked, then it stopped again, then I resetted all the menus several times and it worked again... ?? I talked to Leica again about it and if it goes on not functioning then the software probably would have to be loaded again on the camera, which though for the moment does not exist.. So for the moment nothing can be done but wait and hope it goes on functioning.

Ive noticed that occasionally during composing using either EVF or screen, the  exposure becomes uncontrollable and the display is almost white, with the meter displaying maximum bars of overexposure.  Selecting any aperture or even auto-aperture makes no difference.    I'm suspecting that the lens aperture blades  aren't closing.  Only solution is to switch off and back on.  Has this happened to anyone: - even once?