Q faults so far

Lens cap - they have a replacement program in place, waiting for mine too arrive.  Does anyone know if the design has improved?

I'd be curious to hear more on this, is there a link to the replacement program, or does one have to contact Leica directly?

Is this to do with losing the cap, or issues with the design? 

The felt inside the rim deteriorates quickly, mine won't stay on so its pretty redundant.  I'm hoping the replacement has some other kind of materials to grip on to the hood/lens.  Contacted leica directly and they confirmed they have a replacement program in place, had to send the old one in.

Edited by Mackered
  • Like 1

The felt inside the rim deteriorates quickly, mine won't stay on so its pretty redundant.  I'm hoping the replacement has some other kind of materials to grip on to the hood/lens.  Contacted leica directly and they confirmed they have a replacement program in place, had to send the old one in.

I see, looking forward to seeing how this turns out, too bad we have to send our current caps in first though, unless they're using it to fix/improve and then send back. It is pretty much a given that the felt will eventually get pulled apart over time and with the cap already a bit loose, I know I'll eventually lose it, almost have several times so far.

Also, another gripe about sending our old cap in is it's the only cap that will fit on the lens with the hood on, and I like to keep the hood all at all times. I have a click on replacement just in case, but it won't fit with the hood of course. 

I'd be curious to hear more on this, is there a link to the replacement program, or does one have to contact Leica directly?

Please post more info on the lens cap replacement program 

I also sent an e-mail after reading your post. I exactly have the same problem.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is this a QC issue? I used my brand new Q at high altitudes (6-8,000 feet) and experienced playback problems, whether it was the image flashing on the LCD immediately after exposure or as part of an image review. The menu function at times also got funky, getting hung up and not responding. Both use the LCD function as part of the operation. Send it back to Leica?

I also sent an e-mail after reading your post. I exactly have the same problem.

Update on my lens cap issue !!!  : Leica Berlin ( I purchased from the Berlin Store ) has just sent me an e-mail that they had shipped a new lens cap for me. I am happy to hear this, great service  :)

When Leica AG got my e-mail , they redirected me to the dealer I bought the Leica Q from,  and Berlin Store immediately responded me after my e-mail and shipped my cap just in 1 day !  :)

Edited by CYBORA

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this in a previous post, but my Q--right out of the box--had issues with playback, after capture or in review mode, as well as with the menu screens. In both cases they were fritzy, either suddenly cutting off or not responding. Leica tested the camera and said it needed a firmware update. I expect to use the camera soon and hope the issue has been resolved. I never had a problem with any other newly introduced Leica camera, including the X1 and X2. I think QC is suffering because they can't keep up with demand.

• 4 weeks later...

I've given up on the lens cap. I tried using a pinch style universal lens cap ($3 from amazon) but it's too fiddly with the hood on. I've decided to fit a UV filter.  The filter and hood should provide enough protection.  I can live with rare occurences of flare.

Mr. Q -- did the same. Lens cap is in a drawer someplace. UV filter and hood are plenty to keep me from worrying. Using a high-end UV filter, b+w, and no sign of any problems.

MY wish list -- sometimes I forget that the focus is not on AF, would be nice if there was some warning in the screen accordingly.

I would recommend using a Leica 49mm snap on lens cap or any other 49mm snap on lens cap.  I find the snap on cap much easier to use, especially if I have am using a filter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

James,

If you are having all of these problems with your Q why don't you send it back or return it to the dealer.  I haven't heard of anyone with all of these problems.  So far the three people I know have had really good luck with the QC of their camera.  TAKE IT BACK!

Rick

MY ONLY PROBLEM IS WITH THE RED LED LIGHT FLASHING ON AND OFF WHEN IN PLAYBACK MODE WHEN THE Q IS TILTED

THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN WHEN THE AUTO ROTATE IS SWITCHED ON WHICH IS ODD AS IT APPEARS TO BE READING AS IF TRYING TO AUTO ROTATE WHEN THIS FEATURE IS SWITCHED OFF

THE EVF AUTO SENSOR IS NOT A PROBLEM IN THIS MATTER AS I AVOID SWITCHING THE SCREEN ACCIDENTALLY..

LEICA JUST SAY TO CONTACT THE DEALER BUT AS IT IS ONLY A SEEMINGLY MINOR ANNOYANCE I SEE NO REASON TO RETURN IT WHEN ALL OTHER CONTROLS AND RESULTS ARE SO GOOD

ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM YET ?

Ive noticed that occasionally during composing using either EVF or screen, the  exposure becomes uncontrollable and the display is almost white, with the meter displaying maximum bars of overexposure.  Selecting any aperture or even auto-aperture makes no difference.    I'm suspecting that the lens aperture blades  aren't closing.  Only solution is to switch off and back on.  Has this happened to anyone: - even once?

I have had this happen. It happens when I'm using Aperture Priority (which is about 95% of the time) with the shutter speed set to A. When I raise the camera to my eye, the exposure bars are slammed over to the right and red. I don't see a white display because I have the back button set to lock exposure and, as I understand it, that disables exposure simulation except when using exposure compensation. (At least it does on my camera and I prefer it that way and I pray it never gets "fixed.") I have noticed when this happens that the shutter speed has been inexplicably set to 1 sec and stays there, even though the dial is set to A. Shutting the camera off fixes it, but so does turning the shutter speed dial to anything but A and then back. I've had it happen about 4 or 5 times, but I've been unable to reliably reproduce it. It's pretty random, although it seems to happen when I leave the camera on and swing the camera over my shoulder reversed (i.e. with the top plate resting on my hip, lens pointed down). Since the camera is metering constantly, it makes me wonder if the auto shutter sets itself to 1 sec and then gets stuck there.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

. Most of the moaning seems to be from people who don't actually have one.

Always the same on this and many other forums.................jealousy is a forum illness :)

Have my Q since september and always carry it with me. I am not specially a person who takes lots of care with material, it has to live with me in my way and not be a burden.

The only trouble I had with the Q is the lens cap, when I go back home tomorrow the replacement one should be there, the replacement took 2 months, but in Portugal we are far away from everything!!!

I will come back with my feeling about it.

I am a half-pro, but not a technician, I worked most of my life with analogic and kept my philosophy that way, adding some improvements, but use my cams (Q and Nikon D800) in a simple basic manual way. I also have the T with its range of lenses but dont get well along with it, even if it is a great cam. I let someone close to use it and be happy with (who wouldn't!).

When I had the Q in my hands I felt straight away connected with it, like with my D800.

sometimes there are odd little issues with the LCD on play mode, I think the screen reacts to distance of our fingers more or less depending on outside temperature. But it does not bother me, the Q does great in the way I want it to and therefore there is for me no use in trying to find defaults...