Leica Q + Fogg Flute

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received a Fogg Flute today and its a perfect size bag for the Leica Q with a few spare batteries, SD cards and a filter. The Q with hood and cap fit perfectly. May not be the best solution for all, but its a perfect solution for me. Although quite expensive, so is the Q :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

interior

Well, a bit too "snobby, hipster & steal me" style for my taste. And honestly pretty ugly. ;-)  But as long as you're happy with it than it's perfect for you.

I love old, used and rugged bags. I use standard shoulder  bags (no camera bags) with my couple of years old billingham hadley medium insert. No need to pay

much money for "stylish" bags and pretty flexible. I can put the insert into my working bag or my day bag like i need or want. ;-)

Looks tidy, a bit too hipster for my tastes but seems like a good option if the look appeals. Personally I use Domke Ruggedwear bags as they're less conspicuous and I don't worry if they get scuffed as it just adds to their appearance :)

I love the domke ruggedwear style too. But after using one and returning it after a few days because the wax comes off causing my cloth, hands

and camera feeling waxy. I'm wondering nobody complains about this behavior. What is your experience?

Edited by noctua

I love the domke ruggedwear style too. But after using one and returning it after a few days because the wax comes off causing my cloth, hands

and camera feeling waxy. I'm wondering nobody complains about this behavior. What is your experience?

My second one was like that, I think it had been left in a hot room at some point and "sweated" so I gave it a vigorous rub with a towel and it's been perfect since. They come with a little tin of top-up wax but I've never used it as I like that they get scuffed up :) I think if you used the wax they'd be more like the finish on a hunting jacket but would probably bead water very effectively.

My second one was like that, I think it had been left in a hot room at some point and "sweated" so I gave it a vigorous rub with a towel and it's been perfect since. They come with a little tin of top-up wax but I've never used it as I like that they get scuffed up :) I think if you used the wax they'd be more like the finish on a hunting jacket but would probably bead water very effectively.

Which models from Domke are you using currently?

Buy your ruggedwear Domke's second hand and the annoying work has been done for you! I have an old small Filson Field Bag with Domke insert that seems about the size of the Fogg that has been with me for over a decade and has held up very well. Worth a look at for the Q, I know mine will be housed in one!

The Fogg bag looks sharp and a good fit for the Q, enjoy!

I've had the "Flute" for years now. Have used it with, initally with my M6 and now M-E with a smallish lens attached (28-35-50). It's beautifully built to last a lifetime and can easily be utillised on a belt. No it doesn't scream out "Steal Me"...that's just pretty much a stock response here on LUF. Enjoy it with your Q.

• Like 5

I've had the "Flute" for years now. Have used it with, initally with my M6 and now M-E with a smallish lens attached (28-35-50). It's beautifully built to last a lifetime and can easily be utillised on a belt. No it doesn't scream out "Steal Me"...that's just pretty much a stock response here on LUF. Enjoy it with your Q.

I have an old Flute lying around for years as well so am happy that I can now continue to use it if I want on the Q.  Fogg bags are simple, light and very durable.

• Like 1

Which models from Domke are you using currently?

I've got the F-5XB which is the perfect size for a camera plus some small accessories (filters, batteries, etc) whilst still having room for a water bottle (or for a second camera/lens). It looks very discrete and is small enough that you can chuck it over a shoulder and forget about it.

I also have the F2 which is about 3x bigger in terms of volume and gets used a lot less but is ideal if you need to take your interchangeable camera and multiple lenses.

I have the Dome FX5B, and have had no problems with the waxing. I have also rewaxed it without problems. I have two issues with it:

- the hook & loop fastening is a noisy PITA, so I removed it and replaced it with two magnetic fasteners. Problem solved.

- the padding is inadequate IMO, and there is none at the ends.

It remains the bag I take for country walks in the rain where getting knocked is not a high risk.

I also have the Flute for my M240, and I agree it does not say "steal me" more loudly than any other bag, it is stylish for when you want style, it is rugged and well padded, and is ideal for when you want to carry one camera one lens in a minimal package.

I don't go with this "stealth" bag notion. I suspect thieves will go for any bag: women and handbag thieves have known this for years. A man with a scruffy bag is as likely to have something of value in it as one with a smart one. Mind you, men cannot adopt the approach of the typical woman's offensive weapon with brass corners: swinging a camera bag at a groin could do as much damage to the photographic equipment as to the thief's personal valuables. :o  

Edited by LocalHero1953

Fogg's craftsmanship is superb--as is their customer service. They just repaired a proto-Flute pouch I've been using since 1998, and the upgraded it so that it can be used on a belt or attached to a b-Laika bag. All done quickly, cheerfully and free of charge.

My serial number is well under 200...does that represent the total production of this bag?

Regardless, highly unlikely anyone is even going to know what a Fogg bag is.

• Like 4

It has "steal me" written all over it. 

I don't see it either. i don't think many thieves will know the value of a fogg bag to target it. Not my style, but cant deny that its a well crafted bag except its way over priced and ugly as hell. I much prefer using the Leica neoprene pouch and chucking it in my backpack when I don't have the camera around my neck.