Leica Q - missing the red dot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi - I am new to this forum and am waiting for my Leica Q on backorder/ pre-order at several shops. They  said Leica told them it may be as long as October before they get more! Does anyone know any more, or can suggest a way I can get one sooner? - would really love to get it as I am going on a trip in August.

Secondly - regarding this red-dot "defect", oversight whatever. I read the Q review on Shutterbug,com and when I was looking at the images I saw in the last picture several instances of a dusty or damaged sensor - the bats/birds in a clear blue sky. I wondered if this is a bad sign that Leica's quality control is somehow slipping. How could a  brand new $4k+ camera with a fixed lens have dust on the sensor? Look at the last image, above the girl, above the leaves:

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/leica-unveils-24mp-full-frame-leica-q-compact-camera-full-resolution-test-images#jKoFu56Z8EqA4wie.97

I'd love to hear your comments. Needless to say, this is disconcerting to me.

well since its in none of the other images...maybe your just looking for something. IMO this camera is amazing, if you are looking for the perfect flawless camera, your wait will be long as currently it doesn't exist. If on the other hand your looking for a great camera and are ok with a 28mm lens, then this is the best camera on the market.

Yes - that is dust I suspect, not birds. I counted at least 7 of them.

What makes you think that the things are dust?

I see nine dark things of roughly the same shape and size but at different orientations. I think the shape of the black things a bit unusual and a bit small for dust but consistent with  birds circling above the landscape. I also see lots of artifacts in the sky which presumably are due to the image being pretty much compressed.

The shape of the specs strongly suggests birds. It is something one expects seing in the sky and in the absence of anything specifically pointing towards dust I gather that the most obvious explanation is indeed the right one.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's not difficult to make visible any dust or scratches on your sensor.

Choose a featureless area of something uniformly coloured and lit. Mind that you don't cast a shadow on it.

If its the sky, preferably overcast, set your lens to a short distance, perhaps one meter.

If it is a smooth wall or cupboard, set your lens to infinity.

Set the aperture to a small diameter, perhaps 16.

You can let the camera select the shutter speed. Blurring due to camera motion is not an issue in this case, so you can use quite long exposure times.

Taking a small number of shots, pointing at slightly different parts of our "scenery" may make the results easier to understand than just one single shot.

It's not difficult to make visible any dust or scratches on your sensor.

Choose a featureless area of something uniformly coloured and lit. Mind that you don't cast a shadow on it.

If its the sky, preferably overcast, set your lens to a short distance, perhaps one meter.

If it is a smooth wall or cupboard, set your lens to infinity.

Set the aperture to a small diameter, perhaps 16.

You can let the camera select the shutter speed. Blurring due to camera motion is not an issue in this case, so you can use quite long exposure times.

Taking a small number of shots, pointing at slightly different parts of our "scenery" may make the results easier to understand than just one single shot.

The OP doesn't have a camera...he was pixel peeping review images looking for problems.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

A friend of mine just returned from Italy where he had bought a Q, new and unopened, from the Leica store in Rome. While we were comparing notes he noticed that my Q had a red dot and his had a black dot. He actually had wanted a red dot!

I thought I had read in this forum that Leica was not allowed to use black dots. Thoughts?

If it has a black dot, it wasn't new and somebody has exchanged the red one for a black one and then returned the camera to the dealer. Following your message, the dealer has sold the used camera as new to your friend. No other explanation.

(well, maybe the original user only painted it, but Leica does not make cameras with black dots anymore)

• Like 1

Well, a black dot does exist und you can buy this. I actually still have a set of black and red, but I just never swapped the one on my Q. 

As far as I know, however, the black one is only available in the traditional size of 10mm. The M 240 series uses a larger dot. 

A friend of mine just returned from Italy where he had bought a Q, new and unopened, from the Leica store in Rome. While we were comparing notes he noticed that my Q had a red dot and his had a black dot. He actually had wanted a red dot!

I thought I had read in this forum that Leica was not allowed to use black dots. Thoughts?

Photos or it didn't happen! 

• Like 1

Leica will have spent thousands of euros on designing its corporate logo together with a set of coordinated promotional material and stationery.  They will have a specific font, spacing and colour of red and specific approved dimensions for different purposes and for use at different times.  Each version will have been approved by the board.  The logo is copyrighted and I'm really surprised at how many people modify it and apply a modified version to their websites etc.  Imagine what the consequences would be if someone hijacked the Rolex or Amazon corporate identity and modified the colours to their own taste. 

Leica should be protecting its corporate identity.  In my organisation, only we can use the images in their original and approved format.  .  Certainly not members of the public.  Other companies with whom we trade may be granted permission to use, providing they do not change it in any way.  I'm not trying to spoil everyone's fun and artistic pursuits, but seeing a modified and unofficial version of the corporate logo being applied by non-Leica individuals seems wrong.  

I think you would find this applies to most established companies who value their image.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

No, they are not allowed to. Leica Camera doesn’t own the Leica logo and they only have a license for using a red dot, not a black one.

I seem to remember that they put a black one on one of the M8's .... was it an M8.2 ?

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1

I seem to remember that they put a black one on one of the M8's .... was it an M8.2 ?

As far as I know, Leica Camera has used the black dot on two cameras. The best known one is the black Leica M8.2. However, there has also been an LHSA comissioned M6 TTL that came with the black logo.

https://www.cameraquest.com/lm6lhsa.htm

• Like 1