Leica Q - missing the red dot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone,

I got my Q yesterday but before I even took any shots I noticed something unusual... it doesn't have the red dot logo badge on the front right! All the publicity shots I've seen online have one, whereas mine has a smooth black recessed disc where the dot should be.

I'm thinking it's one of the following:

1. It's a defect and I should return to retailer for replacement
  2. It's a defect BUT it adds rarity value and so I should keep it!
  3. Leica has changed the front design in production but not announced it yet

What do you guys and gals think? Anyone else seen this?

Thanks in advance,

Rob T

Hey everyone,

I got my Q yesterday but before I even took any shots I noticed something unusual... it doesn't have the red dot logo badge on the front right! All the publicity shots I've seen online have one, whereas mine has a smooth black recessed disc where the dot should be.

I'm thinking it's one of the following:

1. It's a defect and I should return to retailer for replacement
  2. It's a defect BUT it adds rarity value and so I should keep it!
  3. Leica has changed the front design in production but not announced it yet

What do you guys and gals think? Anyone else seen this?

Thanks in advance,

Rob T

1. It's a defect and I should return to retailer for replacement - Yes (or as Jaap suggests ask for a replacement dot)
  2. It's a defect BUT it adds rarity value and so I should keep it! - how so? Anyone can just pull their red dot off. No rarity value, devalued more like.
  3. Leica has changed the front design in production but not announced it yet - No, but it saves you having to tape over the red dot ! 
  • Like 1

Cheers all - hadn't realised that the dot was so easy to remove if you opted to do so deliberately! So it's probably option 4: keep it and ask Leica to send me a dot to stick on myself - if I choose to do so... might stay stealthy for a while first.

Sorted. Leica is sending me a red dot :-) which I will most likely not put on the camera but will keep in the original box in case I ever change my mind / decide to sell (heaven forbid). I think I've been won over to the no-dot side but it's nice to have the choice!

• Like 1

Can you post a photo of what it looks like without the dot? :D

Happy to help!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by robt
  • Like 3

Good question! I didn't ask so I suspect I'll just get a red one...

Leica (for its own purposes) is about branding aka red dot.

Supplying an alternative black would be more beneficial

to its branding purposes than have its faithful customer

base running around with crude bits of black tape stuff

hashed onto its iconic hardware. And it would ensure

that at least the alternate 'branding' is maintained.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

Rob T

Such an obvious omission really does beg the question of Leica's QA system/personnel.  You would think someone would/should have spotted the lack of a red logo!

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 5

Such an obvious omission really does beg the question of Leica's QA system/personnel.  You would think someone would/should have spotted the lack of a red logo!

I guess this is the serious point behind all this... Hope the insides have been QA'd better than the outside :-/

• Like 1

lots of over reacting here over a missing red dot. My guess is it fell out at some point.

I can't tell from your image, but it looks like there should be a cutout on the body (both the metal and leather) for the red dot to fit. Why would you want to leave that empty?

Does yours have a cutout?

you can buy black dots online...not sure if they are the correct size for the Q...but I bought one for my M240

1. It's a defect and I should return to retailer for replacement- no, its simple to add one.
  2. It's a defect BUT it adds rarity value and so I should keep it!- LOL, hardly
  3. Leica has changed the front design in production but not announced it yet- no
  4. It fell of in packaging and you simple need to get a new one and add it- Yes.
  5. The world is ending or Leica made a mistake- they are actually human. yes/yes

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by digitalfx