LeftyS

What about battery performance ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Lucerne, you've had these batteries a while now. Could you please confirm there have been no issues? I'm probably being over cautious but the idea of a £3k camera being damaged by a battery worries me but so too does being over charged (no pun intended)

Many thanks, Simon

Simon

I have used and re-charged these batteries often in the last 4 months.  No failures, and no harm to the camera, but I'm thinking that my Leica original, and the PA08 are both giving me less shots per charge.  I'm a big chimper, so I can't be really objective.  In fact, tonight, I'm going to get myself a 4th battery just in case.  Cheap enough to play safe! 

Edited by lucerne

Ordered the BP-51 from Sigma UK on-line Sunday night. Did not receive the promised confirmatory email but the battery (& neat pouch) arrived this morning. Charged up this afternoon & ready to go.  Very good value @ £22.98 inc postage for a branded battery compared with the Panasonic & Leica equivalents. 

Simon

I have used and re-charged these batteries often in the last 4 months.  No failures, and no harm to the camera, but I'm thinking that my Leica original, and the PA08 are both giving me less shots per charge.  I'm a big chimper, so I can't be really objective.  In fact, tonight, I'm going to get myself a 4th battery just in case.  Cheap enough to play safe! 

That's very comforting thank you so will buy a couple (2 for £15) at present from the same sellers. Out of interest, does the camera show battery level with these so called non-coded batteries?

Edited by Kimiimacman

That's very comforting thank you so will buy a couple (2 for £15) at present from the same sellers. Out of interest, does the camera show battery level with these so called non-coded batteries?

Yes. Battery level indicator works, but who can say what that the level indicator is actually telling us. Even for the genuine manufacturers battery,  it isn't a calibrated scale of shots remaining, and different battery capacities would make nonsense of any scale markings.  

Yes, the Q is a power drain camera (relative to Olympus OMD M5 MII, Lumix GX8).  I have shot as little as 40 shots on one panasonic battery charge!! - BUT that included picture transferring to my PC - which I noticed took significant battery discharge.  My high shot volume on one battery has been ~160 - with mid level LCD brightness.  Also - I think it may help not to have the LCD on high brightness - perhaps on low or mid-low level should help.  Needless to say on my forthcoming trip to Portugal (Camino de Santiago trek) I will be carrying 4 or 5 batteries each day.

Yes, the Q is a power drain camera (relative to Olympus OMD M5 MII, Lumix GX8).  I have shot as little as 40 shots on one panasonic battery charge!! - BUT that included picture transferring to my PC - which I noticed took significant battery discharge.  My high shot volume on one battery has been ~160 - with mid level LCD brightness.  Also - I think it may help not to have the LCD on high brightness - perhaps on low or mid-low level should help.  Needless to say on my forthcoming trip to Portugal (Camino de Santiago trek) I will be carrying 4 or 5 batteries each day.

Battery performance is so unpredictable, and that makes it important to have spares charged and ready.   I wish I could carry a spare heart to substitute when my blood pressure registers normal and then high on the same day!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I understand it, modern Li-ion batteries apparently do not suffer from memory effects. I will often just top up a battery and regularly achieve 300+ shots per battery. I have the rear screen turned off and only use the EVF and don't chimp!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.