What about battery performance ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Lucerne, you've had these batteries a while now. Could you please confirm there have been no issues? I'm probably being over cautious but the idea of a £3k camera being damaged by a battery worries me but so too does being over charged (no pun intended)

Many thanks, Simon

Simon

I have used and re-charged these batteries often in the last 4 months.  No failures, and no harm to the camera, but I'm thinking that my Leica original, and the PA08 are both giving me less shots per charge.  I'm a big chimper, so I can't be really objective.  In fact, tonight, I'm going to get myself a 4th battery just in case.  Cheap enough to play safe! 

Edited by lucerne

Ordered the BP-51 from Sigma UK on-line Sunday night. Did not receive the promised confirmatory email but the battery (& neat pouch) arrived this morning. Charged up this afternoon & ready to go.  Very good value @ £22.98 inc postage for a branded battery compared with the Panasonic & Leica equivalents. 

Simon

I have used and re-charged these batteries often in the last 4 months.  No failures, and no harm to the camera, but I'm thinking that my Leica original, and the PA08 are both giving me less shots per charge.  I'm a big chimper, so I can't be really objective.  In fact, tonight, I'm going to get myself a 4th battery just in case.  Cheap enough to play safe! 

That's very comforting thank you so will buy a couple (2 for £15) at present from the same sellers. Out of interest, does the camera show battery level with these so called non-coded batteries?

Edited by Kimiimacman

That's very comforting thank you so will buy a couple (2 for £15) at present from the same sellers. Out of interest, does the camera show battery level with these so called non-coded batteries?

Yes. Battery level indicator works, but who can say what that the level indicator is actually telling us. Even for the genuine manufacturers battery,  it isn't a calibrated scale of shots remaining, and different battery capacities would make nonsense of any scale markings.  

Yes, the Q is a power drain camera (relative to Olympus OMD M5 MII, Lumix GX8).  I have shot as little as 40 shots on one panasonic battery charge!! - BUT that included picture transferring to my PC - which I noticed took significant battery discharge.  My high shot volume on one battery has been ~160 - with mid level LCD brightness.  Also - I think it may help not to have the LCD on high brightness - perhaps on low or mid-low level should help.  Needless to say on my forthcoming trip to Portugal (Camino de Santiago trek) I will be carrying 4 or 5 batteries each day.

Yes, the Q is a power drain camera (relative to Olympus OMD M5 MII, Lumix GX8).  I have shot as little as 40 shots on one panasonic battery charge!! - BUT that included picture transferring to my PC - which I noticed took significant battery discharge.  My high shot volume on one battery has been ~160 - with mid level LCD brightness.  Also - I think it may help not to have the LCD on high brightness - perhaps on low or mid-low level should help.  Needless to say on my forthcoming trip to Portugal (Camino de Santiago trek) I will be carrying 4 or 5 batteries each day.

Battery performance is so unpredictable, and that makes it important to have spares charged and ready.   I wish I could carry a spare heart to substitute when my blood pressure registers normal and then high on the same day!

• Like 1