Dust inside of my Q - anybody else with this problem?

Guest ralf.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am just experiencing this problem for the first time ever in a D-Lux, aka LX100. Of the 2 giant specks of dust that appeared out of nowhere, one has disappeared again - probably lurking somewhere in the background, just waiting to pounce on the sensor an an inconvenient moment. I guess I'll have to return the camera to Leica and have them clean it.

I received a Q last week and in a few days experienced a different dust problem.  Foreign matter appeared inside the lens, in-between lens elements.  The spots are on the element just in front of the moving image-stabilizing element.  I don't believe this internal dust produces visible artifacts to an image, but it certainly will affect resale someday.  I shot a f/16 photo at a plain white blank computer screen and do not find any sensor dust or effect from this spot.  This camera was purchased from Harrington Catalog and they have both first-rate customer service and also a 90-day no-hassles satisfaction guarantee.  They are shipping me other Q today and this one is being returned.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just found a spec of dust on my photos.. How can I go about sending it back to Leica? Will they charge to clean it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a Q?  First of all is it a problem? Are they visible in e.g. sky? If there's only one (or two) dust spot surely it's easier to simply remove it in LR (or whatever programme you use), rather than be without your camera for a few weeks?

To answer your specific questions - in any case, contact your dealer first of all.  They should arrange for it to be sent back to Leica.  If it's under warranty then there won't be a charge.

Edited by spylaw4

• 3 weeks later...

Just to ressurect in the hope the Lieca drop by ocassionaly.

I love my Lieca but it is a pain that the first thing I do in Lightroom is not level or crop but clone out the dust spots.  Love to know what reason they could have for not sealing a £3K camera.

I have a holiday coming up in August but straight after I will return it under warranty to be cleaned.  If it happens again will do the same, repeat, rep...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Q and have one big dust spot on the sensor.  I sent it in for cleaning under warranty on June 6.  I am still waiting for it to return to me.  Leica NJ has been a communicative nightmare to deal with.  It cost me a lot to send in insured.  I had to follow up to confirm receipt.  

June 6 - camera received at Leica NJ with proof of delivery

June 14 - official email arrives confirming receipt

June 22 - official repair note email arrives confirming repairs to be made, which is sensor cleaning

I was told that it would ship in the fourth week.  For those of you that have not dealt with repair service at Leica New Jersey, use the phone.  Call the main number and then dial 0 to get the receptionist.  She is kind and if you plead your case, she will hunt down someone for you to talk to.

DO NOT BOTHER leaving messages for any of the techs or writing emails.  I have not received a single return email or phone call.  The information I do receive is when I spend half an hour trying to get through by phone.

The camera might be premium but their customer service is far from it.  

I will keep the forum updated on the progress of my claim...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The compact cameras do have advantages with regards to dust on sensor, but they cannot avoid this problem entirely. Even a sealed camera only seals the body from the outside, but there is nothing keeping particles from the inside to rest on the sensor (most prominent example: the Nikon D600 that kept "spitting" on the sensor). I personally did not have any issues with X1, X2, X-Vario and now the Q. I did have issues with Fuji X100, X100s and the infamous X10. However, there are evidently cases of dust with the compact Leicas.

Compared to the M cameras, the dust issue is by far less frequent. The only problem is that you can clean an M yourself, but not the Q.

Yes, they'll clean it. If you make an appointment to send it in just in time, you can avoid having the camera with Leica for weeks.

Hi, I sent my Leica Q (Sensor dust) on June 13, 2016 and they still have it (nearly 6 weeks) - where to call for appointment. I am very disappointed about the customer care center.