Dust inside of my Q - anybody else with this problem?

Guest ralf.

Well, I'm not surprised, and this is why I won't buy another fixed lens digital camera as every one I've had suffered from dust on the sensor eventually. 

The exception would be a weather sealed camera - dust gets inside through any tiny gaps, and it finds its way onto the sensor. The sensor will be mounted on a plastic panel which will be screwed to the back of the lens assembly. It would be easy to make the join dust proof but they don't. An o ring type seal should do it, and so cheap. 

Bad luck, you will need to return the camera to be cleaned, but it will no doubt return at some point. 

Guest ralf.

So obviously I was naive. I changed from M to a compact camera among other things because I was pissed of by the dust inside the M. I never had dust inside my (sold...) Sony RX1R. 

So obviously I was naive. I changed from M to a compact camera among other things because I was pissed of by the dust inside the M. I never had dust inside my (sold...) Sony RX1R. 

The compact cameras do have advantages with regards to dust on sensor, but they cannot avoid this problem entirely. Even a sealed camera only seals the body from the outside, but there is nothing keeping particles from the inside to rest on the sensor (most prominent example: the Nikon D600 that kept "spitting" on the sensor). I personally did not have any issues with X1, X2, X-Vario and now the Q. I did have issues with Fuji X100, X100s and the infamous X10. However, there are evidently cases of dust with the compact Leicas.

Compared to the M cameras, the dust issue is by far less frequent. The only problem is that you can clean an M yourself, but not the Q.

To be returned to Leica.

Yes, they'll clean it. If you make an appointment to send it in just in time, you can avoid having the camera with Leica for weeks.

Edited by bernie.lcf
  • Like 3

That is indeed a large piece of fibre/lint type dust in your first shot. Not expert on these things but becaues of it's siize I would have thought that it has been inside the camera since it was constructed and has unfortuantely migrated it's way onto the sensor as it would indeed be worrying if such a large object could work it's way in from the outside in such a short period of time

Guest ralf.

That is indeed a large piece of fibre/lint type dust in your first shot. Not expert on these things but becaues of it's siize I would have thought that it has been inside the camera since it was constructed and has unfortuantely migrated it's way onto the sensor as it would indeed be worrying if such a large object could work it's way in from the outside in such a short period of time

The fat button on the left is not small, too.  

The compact cameras do have advantages with regards to dust on sensor, but they cannot avoid this problem entirely. Even a sealed camera only seals the body from the outside, but there is nothing keeping particles from the inside to rest on the sensor

With a compact like the Q, the lens and sensor are effectively one assembly - the lens unit is fixed (usually screwed) to the sensor unit - I opened up my PanaLeica to try to get to the sensor and dust had got in through the small gap between lens/sensor. 

As I said above it would be a very simple job to make this join dust proof, even if the camera itself weren't dust/weather sealed. 

It was quite amazing just how much dust had accumulated inside the camera, which was used 'normally'. 

This is ridiculous.  No dust inside my fixed lens camera (Sigma DP2 Merrill) after 3 years and a gazillion shots in all kinds of sandy and dusty conditions.

Hi KK,

http://www.chassimages.com/forum/index.php?topic=123674.0

in a french forum  , a topic (translation) "dust on sensor" of DP Merill

When turning the ring focus  (also valid on autofocus lens), there is a "pull"  factor

of air ,  like a mini bellows moving

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Ah, OK, thanks Doc Henry.

I didn't say it's not possible, it's just never been an issue in practice for me... even having shot on dusty wind-swept planes.  I practically never manual focus with the Merrill though ... but I would with the Q!  

I would be annoyed to spend that much on a camera and find dust on the sensor that I can't just remove myself.

• Like 1

Guest ralf.

I know that this can happen - but the hope is, it will not. If I am the only one, okay, than it was bad luck. 

Edited by Qnipser

Ah, OK, thanks Doc Henry.

I didn't say it's not possible, it's just never been an issue in practice for me... even having shot on dusty wind-swept planes.  I practically never manual focus with the Merrill though ... but I would with the Q!  

I would be annoyed to spend that much on a camera and find dust on the sensor that I can't just remove myself.

KK , if you like to dissaembly the DP1 by yourself , read the post of "Johan" below, in a same topic (I translate)

http://www.chassimages.com/forum/index.php?topic=123674.0

"Hi , broke  the camera DP1 (the sensor died after a fall), I disassembled to keep only the lens ..... bah it not easy

especially as you can not remove the lens from the front , lens must be removed to get to the sensor.....

must remove all the cards and connectors to get there....

So takes courage and a lot of patience"

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

For me, one of the main attractions of a fixed-lens digital camera is not having to deal with dust on the sensor, so this post is disappointing, as I hate dust on a photograph! Hopefully the problem can be fixed as I was probably going to buy the camera but now I'm back to waiting to see what Leica will do next i.e. the rumoured next M.

Mike.

I know this doesn't help now but I tape over the speaker and mic holes with tiny pieces of gaffers tape. The problem is unavoidable but the Q will probably protect against dust better then the X cameras because it has no protruding lens barrel that moves in and out when the camera is powered on. In my opinion that's the number one offender when it comes to dust in fixed lens cameras.

• Like 1