Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeDexter

Help identifying a Leica lens hood/accessory 42

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greeting Knowledgeable Gentlemen,

I have a curious little accessory here.  From the waist down, it's a normal lens hood fitting the 3.5cm & 5cm Summicron, Elmar, etc.  Instead of a normal hood, however, it has a male 49mm thread on the front. It's marked "42" on the rear chrome surface that faces the camera.  Please help!

This adapter couples the 42mm front end of a Leica lens (E39 filter size) to the rear of the Leitz bellows hood.

See here for many illustrations of entire assembly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-16556-16557-M-BELLOWS-LEICA-LEITZ-BELLOWS-II-LEICA-BELLOWS-HOOD-42MM-FIT-/281698073402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4196837b3a

Harry

Edited by 1234

P.S. You might find it very helpful to purchase a few Leica/Leitz photographic equipment catalogs in edition numbers range 30's-40's (post war era) on the auction site for $5-10. Earlier ones will have the codewords and later ones the part numbers for all these pieces about which you've inquired.

P.S. You might find it very helpful to purchase a few Leica/Leitz photographic equipment catalogs in edition numbers range 30's-40's (post war era) on the auction site for $5-10. Earlier ones will have the codewords and later ones the part numbers for all these pieces about which you've inquired.

This adapter couples the 42mm front end of a Leica lens (E39 filter size) to the rear of the Leitz bellows hood.

See here for many illustrations of entire assembly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-16556-16557-M-BELLOWS-LEICA-LEITZ-BELLOWS-II-LEICA-BELLOWS-HOOD-42MM-FIT-/281698073402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4196837b3a

Harry

Thank you both. I do my best to research these items on my own. Many more Leitz items pass through my hands that I successfully identify myself, but occasionally I need a little help or verification.   I appreciate your expertise. 

Best Regards,

George

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By alan mcfall
      Gives the  term "red scale elmar" a whole new meaning!  Distance seems to be in both feet and meters?  I guess you can get these "reproductions" in what ever color you want.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By haikos
      Hello everyone,
      I have a question about the dimensions of the Leica 11310 lens with the (square) hood mounted, I think the model is 12524 and/or 12526. 
      Currently, I use a Biogon 2/35 which I love but sometimes I find the lens protrusion from camera body quite long. The lens alone protrudes 1.75" from the camera body; with the UV filter and hood mounted, it protrudes to 2.4375" (7/16) from the camera body which is fine in some situations but unwieldy in others. The hood and UV filter are used to protect from bumps.
      I had the chance to mount an 11310 to my camera which seems to protrude about an inch from the body but at the time the vendor did not have the hood so I had no way of even guesstimating where it would end up.
      Can anyone who has this lens + hood combo provide a measurement?
    • By kingson138
      Hi, recently I had designed and built by 3D printing a longer Endcap for retractible lenses. Basically it has an internal depth of 23mm, which i think will fit most of the M mount retractible lenses. I designed this Endcap for my 50mm Elmar F2.8 lens.
      It is better to use a good 3D printer. I printed this Endcap using my Craftbot Plus printer at " 0.100mm " layer height, with 15% infill. I printed these Endcaps on Glass Bed with Dimafix 3D printer glue. The result is mirror smooth bottom. You can use PLA or PETG. This is a very clean design. There is no oozing to be cut except the last one when the nozzle started to go into Home position.  You can use any colors you want. I did not take a picture of the Endcaps today but i will add that to the Dropbox download folder. In this folder you can find a stp file and a stl file suitable for 3D printing. You can revise the design by loading the stp file. A computer rendering is included. Tomorrow evening I will put actual pictures into this downloadable folder.
      This is the link:
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qsjcj2srlp3moea/AAD6QWKuZBCtYeihflJ3ZzIoa?dl=0

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Al Brown
      Please share your opinion - if you have used or owned both lenses or any opinion on the topic. Mostly interested in comparison of render, sharpness, bokeh, pop etc. according to you - digital sensor or film.

Early reports indicated the Hexanons were inferior. According to LHSA "some Hexanon early samples were reported to have focusing discrepancies, long since resolved, and that adversely affected initial sales. The current consensus: Konica KM and Leica M lenses, even those with longer focal lengths and wider apertures, can be used interchangeably on both cameras without problems." Lots of posts ot the tiny flange difference between the cameras, but here we discuss the lens.

Mr. Rockwell even went as far as comparing the build of Summicron 50 (V) to the Hexanon-M 50 side by side and they indeed look almost identical. Check the pic on his webpage under the Hexanon topic.
      I have recently acquired a Hexanon-M 50/2 (photographed below on my M) and it is a stellar performer, slightly better wide open (especially corners) compared to Summicron M 50/2 (IV) in all the tests I did.
      YMMV.