Leica Q OIS On or Off?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got OIS turned off on my Q. Has anyone tested it? Obviously, it could be helpful at very slow shutter speeds, but what about at 1/125 or so? Some reviews of other cameras suggest it can actually blur an otherwise sharp image. Curious what others do with their Qs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica acknowledged in a "marketing" video with Stefan Daniel that the optical image stabilization software causes a further degradation of the peripheral area of the Q image capture. That is why the default setting is OFF.

Experimenting with the function on my Q, it was quite good at holding the center image sharp at slow speeds (i.e., 1/25th). The corners and edges on the Q are less than some hope for under the best of circumstances. More than anything, however, I notice that prints from images taken with stabilization ON have a look of over-sharpening, as though they were from an iPhone.

I have never shot a Q movie, which is the application Herr Daniel indicated was the target of the Q image stabilization option.

• Like 2

I have no intimate knowledge as how the image stabilization is designed to work.

However I assume that that it is accomplished by movement of one of the one or some of the optical elements of the lens assembly. It appears intuitively obvious that the correction at the edges or the periphery of the image may not be optimal.

As a practical/ experienced photographer , the image in movement followed by the interest was almost always imaged better than that on the periphery of the image due optical properties of the system.

It is all a compromise.

Jan

Should the image stabilization be based on the movement of the camera/ lens , then the image stabilization would be based on the movement of the camera, of the inertia of the optical system. An option one.

The other could be the one that that keeps the whole image "steady" in respect of the "earth" , e.g. using a tripod or a steady hand.

The next one would follow the image, the selected subject.

All of these approaches were the way the image was created, often unintentionally.

The technology is a great help, should study it.

Jan

I have no intimate knowledge as how the image stabilization is designed to work.

This is a (webarchived) version of Panasonic explaining their Mega O.I.S.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090112001132/http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MegaOISExplained?storeId=15001

It is relatively safe to assume, that the Leica Q O.I.S. was developed by or largely influenced by Panasonic - after all, it even uses Panasonic's word for optical image stabilization systems (vs. VR for Nikon, IS for Canon, OSS for Sony, IBIS for Olympus etc.). It will therefore conceptually match the description linked above.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my first M body forty years ago and have migrated through to a 240 today.  Four years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease** and so keeping things still will increasingly be an issue for me.  The image stabilisation feature is therefore of significant interest. My Q arrived this week and, like all Leicas, I think it takes a time to learn how to get the best from it - so it is too soon to say how this will help me, but I shall want to take a close look at this and the experience and input of others is most welcome. (And, by the way, I am keeping and still using my 240 and set of lenses.)

Martin

** http://www.rps.org/news/2014/july/martin-burrage-lrps

• 4 months later...

more reasons to expand the FN button options

If Fuji can do it then Leica should be able to. 

The X-T1 has, I believe, seven of its buttons that can be used as FN buttons and pre configured to your requirements.

Hopefully the next firmware update will start to head that way  B)

Edited by MickyW

• 2 weeks later...

Cool for you, but the real challenge is to have intelligent defaults.

Then for us simple folk could you please share those intelligent defaults?

Thanks in anticipation ...

I take it that's a 'no you won't' then  :unsure:

Edited by MickyW