Two M with lenses in a Billingham Hadley Small?

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have tried searching on both this forum and Google as well, but haven't found the answer there, since i can't find any pictures nor videos with two M bodies and mounted lenses.

There aren't any photo dealers around where i live, so i will be buying without being able to see or try to put my gear in the bag, so i rely on your help here :)

I'm gonna need a new bag, and after looking after several brands and model, the search has been narrowed to either Billingham Hadley Small or the Billingham Hadley Pro. I will only choose the Hadley Pro if the Small is - yes, too small.

99% of the time this is the gear i have with me:

• Leica M Monochrom with Summicron-M 35 mm ASPH
  • Leica M6 with Summicron-M 35 mm Version 4
  • Charger for the Monochrom
  • Three 39 mm filters in plastic cases
  • Lee Seven5 kit (filter holder, 39 mm adapter and one Filter)
  • Cable Release
  • 2-3 films

My mind is set on the Hadley Small since i reckon it all fits in the bag without any problems. Only thing is that the Monochrom is 80 mm in the height while the bag is "only" 70 mm deep. I could imagine the bag is so flexible that 10 millimeters will be no problem, as the bag seems "spacy" according to what i've seen on the web.

Do have any experiences carrying two M bodies (one digital and on analog) in the Hadley Small? How do they fit in the bag?

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by BjarniM

I have both and the Hadley Small is too small. True enough you can cram everything in there, but getting it out again in any semblance of order to take a photograph becomes the problem. But it depends how you work. I like an extra empty compartment or pocket in a bag to drop things into, lens caps, filters, film etc. only carefully putting things away at the end of the day. And then I like the option of carrying a bottle of water, a bar of something, maybe a guidebook/map. But from your list I'd say the Hadley Small would end up being a tight fat little bag that's bobs about on your hip, and the Pro would be a deeper and flatter bag when fully loaded that wraps around your body more comfortably and with easier loading and unloading.

Steve

• Like 2

I have the Hadley Pro and a couple of other smaller bags (not the Hadley Small).  For what you describe, and especially considering your preference for small, I would instead use my Bare Bones bag.  The Pro is too much bag IMO (see below*).  I'm not much for buying new bags, having had a few around for decades.  But having read about the Bare Bones, and at 'only' $165, I decided to give it a shot.  I couldn't be more pleased by a no nonsense bag….it has less structure than a Hadley, but therefore conforms to the body much better and is still well built and is designed by a photographer for practical needs.  It is indeed, however, 'bare bones', i.e., simple…and very light.  The Hadley offers more protection from bumps and such, but at a cost…in dollars and bulk.

Bags are personal, and quite the ubiquitous topic around here, so I don't mean to take this off topic and create another unnecessary bag discussion….but your needs seem to coincide with my recent experience, so I offer the suggestion.

[*I rarely work out of a bag, preferring to use it for transport to a shoot or travel, and then just carrying by hand what I need for a particular occasion.  Bad weather sometimes changes that approach, and both the Hadley and BareBones can handle inclement weather and offer flexibility regarding inserts.]

http://www.indianhillimageworks.com/catalog/camera-bags/the-bare-bones-bag-evolution-bbb-e

FWIW

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Well, Not sure if you absolutely have your heart set on one of those beauties for sure, But I might suggest checking out the ONA Berlin bags. I got mine specifically to do what you're intending myself. An M 240 M-P with a 50 APO 'Cron, an M 246 Mono with a 28mm 'Lux, three color filters, lens cleaners, small notepad, pen, extra battery/charger and some trail mix....This thing is beautiful, and ideal for my needs. Unfortunately, I'm still awaiting the second body, but it'll work perfect...
As an aside, it's got a pocket for a nice tablet too.
Here's a few quick shots for reference and perusal. The large bag on the bottom is their Brixton...thats my weekender DSLR w/grip and 3 tele lens setup fyi, the small one is their Bowery...perfect for one body/lens/xtra battery and snack...and finally the Black Berlin...red dot at no extra charge ;)
The more they are used, they better looking they get! Really top shelf here...The leather is thick, but soft...stitching perfect. Just really nice to use...and look at!

ONA_testers-1_zpshxhh8uiv.jpg

ONA_testers-2_zps7pcj9dt6.jpg

ONA_testers-3_zpse9oxtkwt.jpg

ONA_testers-5_zpst5mmd5tt.jpg

ONA_testers-4_zps5ljlvguc.jpg

Edited by Fast_Glass
  • Like 2

I have both and I need both. I use my Small for walks through town when travelling when my Pro is in the hotel with the stuff I don't need at tthat moment. I bought the Pro before the Small and use it as a home-base and I avoid carrying it on my walks. I am very very happy with these bags because everything is soft so it never hurts your camera gear. In heavy rain they are unbelievably water-proof. 

In my Small I mostly carry my M9 with a 35'lux or 90 and a MM with a small 35 or Elmar 50 and have no problems getting them out. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried searching on both this forum and Google as well, but haven't found the answer there, since i can't find any pictures nor videos with two M bodies and mounted lenses.

There aren't any photo dealers around where i live, so i will be buying without being able to see or try to put my gear in the bag, so i rely on your help here :)

I'm gonna need a new bag, and after looking after several brands and model, the search has been narrowed to either Billingham Hadley Small or the Billingham Hadley Pro. I will only choose the Hadley Pro if the Small is - yes, too small.

99% of the time this is the gear i have with me:

• Leica M Monochrom with Summicron-M 35 mm ASPH
  • Leica M6 with Summicron-M 35 mm Version 4
  • Charger for the Monochrom
  • Three 39 mm filters in plastic cases
  • Lee Seven5 kit (filter holder, 39 mm adapter and one Filter)
  • Cable Release
  • 2-3 films

My mind is set on the Hadley Small since i reckon it all fits in the bag without any problems. Only thing is that the Monochrom is 80 mm in the height while the bag is "only" 70 mm deep. I could imagine the bag is so flexible that 10 millimeters will be no problem, as the bag seems "spacy" according to what i've seen on the web.

Do have any experiences carrying two M bodies (one digital and on analog) in the Hadley Small? How do they fit in the bag?

Thanks in advance for your help

Actually, I do put two cameras (a MP & a M), three lenses, a couple of rolls of film and some memory cards, cleaning stuff, and the battery charger in my Hadley Small.  Works pretty well. 

Actually, I do put two cameras (a MP & a M), three lenses, a couple of rolls of film and some memory cards, cleaning stuff, and the battery charger in my Hadley Small.  Works pretty well. 

Are you working without hoods? ;) or is it the VC 15mm with the cron35 and the Elmar50?

You see if I take my Monochrom and my M9 I cannot stand leaving my 75lux at home, it's glued to my MM. With my 35FLE on the M9 there is no room left for the middle compartment. 

Edited by otto.f