Considering swapping from Fuji to the Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good morning,

This is my first post here and like all newbies I'm looking for advice! I live in Bolton, near Manchester in the UK and currently shooting with a Fuji x100 and Fuji XE1. Before I start I have to say I'm very happy with both of these cameras. I am an amateur and not planning on doing any paid work (though I've got a friend who wants some pictures for his webpage and CD covers etc). I shoot a bit of everything, street, portraits (usually family/friends), landscapes, architecture etc. 

I popped into the Leica store Manchester, what a fantastic experience! The service was great and I got to get my hands on lots of toys!

I got to have a go at the Q and I was very impressed. I've always wanted to own a Leica, my Grandpa was a photog and always used a Leica (M3 maybe) unfortunately someone put their finger through the shutter and my Dad sold it as the cost of repair was too high. I was very impressed by the handling, easy intuitive system and image quality of the the Q; as well as the good looks of course!

They have offered to take me on a test drive with the Q which is my next job to do. 

My question, I suppose, is is it worth the investment? Will Leica stop supporting the Q a few years down the line and any problems will be unfixable? Will the technology be so outdated that I'll be pining for the Leica Q2 in a few years? Is it that much better than the Fuji x100/s/t that it is worth the extra £2000.  Is there something better I could get? I wouldn't say that money isn't a problem, it always is, but I promised myself a Leica for my 30th birthday and £3000 was about the budget I set myself. My original plan was to get a film Leica and some glass but I'm not sure that I'll ever get around to developing/printing/scanning the film. 

I look forward to hearing your opinions

Rob

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmpoole/ 

All digital products have a practical end-of-life and end-of-support timeline.  Since the days of film are basically gone, there is no permanence in the camera world beyond really good lenses.  Technology evolves too quickly, and the constraint for quality is still bound by the sensor and it's limits of dynamic range.  We haven't gotten out of the "new body for new tech" era yet.

People spend thousands on disposable electronics in a very short period of time.  A phone and tablet alone every 2 years would pay for a Leica Q in 5 yrs.  Practically speaking, the Q will outlast 5 yrs, or at least be reasonably supported for that period.

I bought a Q.  Keeping my Fuji X-T1 because it's an excellent and extremely well supported product, and selling the X100s because the Q is a better fixed lens camera than the X100.

• Like 2

I will probably end up selling my X100s too or use it for when walking around with a Leica is a bad idea.

I think the Q is what the X100 should have been [emoji1]

More like the X100 was the template for the Q. :)  It's still an incredibly competent camera, and will remain in my mind as the one that created the modern large sensor compact industry.

Edited by alee
  • Like 2

very similar situation here, gladly I got my Q truly encourage me to do more street photograph.. 

In  theory, any consumer electronic product will be of date tomorrow... but with this lens Q can last forever

True but imagine throwing that glass away if the board fails and it is no longer supported :'(

Personally I think the Q is probably the best and most innovative camera, in a classical sort of way, that Leica have made since entering the digital era. For once that haven't released a camera that seems already to be dated from certain technological points of view in fact there are advancements that no other camera has. I use to have the fuji X100 and X100s and while it was a ground breaking camera in many ways I feel the Q knocks it into the long grass. I was about to exit the Leica system altogether and in fact have sold my M and now have this and some leica lenses that I still use on my Sony's. In a nutshell if you like and use the 28mm focal length a lot this is the by far the best camera out there. 

I think Leica have been a little surprised by the early demand for the Q and have been told from someone with Leica UK that they have doubled the production rate of the camera so I am sure you will see updates where necessary in the months and years to come. 

Robert, welcome to the forum.

While I am not considering the Q for my needs, I do think your questions would be well answered by the Leica Store Manchester because they have experience with older models and will probably have some to show you so that you can see older supported working Leica cameras in their hands. Read elsewhere how talked about is the Leica Digilux 2 which is over ten years old and still going strong despite diminishing support as far as sensors are concerned. I still have mine which I bought in 2004.

Robert, welcome to the forum.

While I am not considering the Q for my needs, I do think your questions would be well answered by the Leica Store Manchester because they have experience with older models and will probably have some to show you so that you can see older supported working Leica cameras in their hands. Read elsewhere how talked about is the Leica Digilux 2 which is over ten years old and still going strong despite diminishing support as far as sensors are concerned. I still have mine which I bought in 2004.

Thank you for the welcome. I know the store could answer but I wanted a more impartial opinion. Reading through this site 10 years after being discontinued seems to be what they seem to offer. Though there are people complaining of the M8 being abandoned.

Like you, I'm also planning to replace my X100s with a Q. I've enjoyed the X100s, and it does a lot of thing very well, but I've never really been happy with the color rendition. I'm not particularly thrilled with having to use an EVF all the time, but it's probably worth the benefits.

Like you, I'm also planning to replace my X100s with a Q. I've enjoyed the X100s, and it does a lot of thing very well, but I've never really been happy with the color rendition. I'm not particularly thrilled with having to use an EVF all the time, but it's probably worth the benefits.

You could buy a 28mm ovf and mount it on the hotshoe.

Me in the same place, I will sell X100T when I get the Q, sold all my equipment  except X100T, because it is the only camera I have fun with. Because of the similiarities between X100 series and Q , Leica Q seems to be the only replace for me. Unfortunately , no stock available right now.

Me in the same place, I will sell X100T when I get the Q, sold all my equipment except X100T, because it is the only camera I have fun with. Because of the similiarities between X100 series and Q , Leica Q seems to be the only replace for me. Unfortunately , no stock available right now.

I still love my little x100. Not sure I could part with it!

This is why used the X100s exclusively shooting black&white. The color rendition of the old X100 was so much better to my eye. Now i'm

blown away from color, contrast and dynamic range of the Q!