Q & Teleconverters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I have read endless debates about the 28mm focal length and the possibility of future Q releases with a 35 or 50 a-la the DP Merrill, I haven't seen much suggested about the possibility of teleconverters. The reviewer for Leica Rumors asked a Leica official and they said it was a possibility but they had nothing to announce. Do you think this is a realistic possibility and how might these screw on additions affect picture quality and aperture? I assume you lose at least one stop. Any Fuji X100 users have opinions on that cameras teles?

Not only a great addition but probably a big help to the bottom line of Leica.  If Qs continue to sell well they will have a rather large market to sell to and it may even bring in some that were not comfortable with only 28mm.

While I have read endless debates about the 28mm focal length and the possibility of future Q releases with a 35 or 50 a-la the DP Merrill, I haven't seen much suggested about the possibility of teleconverters. The reviewer for Leica Rumors asked a Leica official and they said it was a possibility but they had nothing to announce. Do you think this is a realistic possibility and how might these screw on additions affect picture quality and aperture? I assume you lose at least one stop. Any Fuji X100 users have opinions on that cameras teles?

Although I have never used the TCL on my X100 I have heard nothing but good reviews from users on the Fuji X Forum. The only critisism I have heard is that it ruings the simplicity of the camera. Rather than just carrying the camera you now carry the TCL plus WCL and in that case you might as well have an interchangeable lens camera and carry a couple of lenses. Though £150 for the TCL used is a lot cheaper than buying more glass. 

I have a converter for the XZ1 of my wife. For Video it is OK, for stills, even with the limited IQ of the camera, it is clear that it does not do the image much good, despite Olympus being quite a reputable optics maker.

And no loss of picture quality and distortion?

To be honest I don't pixel peep. The IQ is fine, and I haven't noticed any distortion.

Having said that, I'm probably not the best judge (I've even forgotten to set the X100s to use the TCL on occasions and thought the image was fine).

• Like 1

Well one this is for certain, Leica won't release a teleconverter if it affects IQ in any. Edvidence in the fact that they urge photographers to keep OS off unless absolutely necessary for the small reduction quality it produces. While they have lagged in many areas with previous releases I respect the fact that they always put the image first. Thinking about it now I doubt it will happen. The X1 and X2 had the perfect setup for one with the removable ring and nothing ever happened.

What I would like to see is a complementary version of the Q with a focal length of 50mm. You would have two optimized lens-body cameras with shared batteries and charger. The two would not be much heavier than an M system with two lenses; and you would have a backup camera if one failed, or could carry just one when appropriate.

• Like 1