The various Leica "typ" designations

reynoldsyoung

Actually the 997 was superceded by the 991.

No such thing as a 998.

As with Googling 'Leica M' a perfect example of the sort of clarity we can look forward to with Leica Typ numbers, I only came up with 998 because it appeared in a Google search.

Steve

• Like 1

Does the name/typ number really matter! Leica bring out a new camera, you buy it, you use it. Surely whatever the name or number it's

a Leica.. Number, Letter or a combination of both, leave all that for the Mothership.

The results are what I'm after..!!

• Like 1

If humans didn't have infinite curiosity there probably wouldn't be photography. So, yes, indirectly it does matter.

Sorry, but The Image had nothing to do with the name or number on the camera..

Surely curiosity is about what you think is unknown to You.. At the end of the day a great image is a great image, the photographer is the key.. Not the XL M259r.....(unless we are bragging!!)..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree that it is a bit far fetched to imagine that the reasons behind the typ numbers affects the way we enjoy the photographs. But it's not totally impossible, try this:

What states of mind a picture puts us in depends on what states of mind we have available.

New knowledge (a new state of mind) increases our possibilities for processing inputs to produce feelings.

Suppose the typ numbers were derived from a hierarchy of properties some genius at Leica had discovered which measured the strength of feeling produced by pictures with those properties and the cameras were optimised for a particular position in the hierarchy. (I said it was far fetched...)

Knowing this would sensitise us to the possibilities of a particular camera and being thus sensitised we would have stronger feelings for the pictures it produces.

As we don't know the meaning of the typ numbers we don't know how such knowledge will affect us.

Anyhow, I wasn't saying that the typ numbers indicated picture quality, I was saying that curiosity underlies both questions about the numbers and the existence of photography. If you redesigned humans to eliminate curiosity about product numbers then those humans probably wouldn't have created any products.

• Like 1

Suppose the typ numbers were derived from a hierarchy of properties some genius at Leica had discovered which measured the strength of feeling produced by pictures with those properties and the cameras were optimised for a particular position in the hierarchy. (I said it was far fetched...)

Or suppose that the general population have no clue at all what camera to buy because Leica Typ numbers tell nothing to anybody other than nerds like us? :)

This is about Leica, my brand that I prefer to use, being successful, not being caught up in yuppy marketing practices that make people throw up their hands in bafflement and go to Fuji. I mean, have you tried to buy a f**king pair of Levi's from an internet outlet without being swamped by very significant but descriptively meaningless designations that critically affects the final order? This is the way Leica are going, and it says go to Fuji, go to anybody, go to the company who tells you what want, but don't call the damn thing an M246 that makes it sound like the successor to the M240 (OK for pedants Typ 246 for Typ 240, got it?)

The naming structure should not be built around anybody who already understands Leica products, such as those who can recite a particular 1930's lens hood code, it should be for new customers to understand easily.

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

....an internet outlet without being swamped by very significant but descriptively meaningless designations that critically affects the final order? This is the way Leica are going, ...

Not so.

Leica says "we have an M. You can have an M with a tougher display, which is an M-P. Then there's the Monochrom which is just like an M but for those photographers who want the best .." and so on. The type numbers are emphasised by you, not by Leica.

Not so

The type numbers are emphasised by you, not by Leica.

Philipp, the type numbers are emphasised by Michael earlier in the thread as being the core value in Leica's naming strategy, so perhaps you are disagreeing with him? I would like to see them de-emphasised so perhaps you are agreeing with me?

Steve

He did? I read that differently.

Yes Philipp, you would. I admit I was baffled before and couldn't understand why an M9 came after an M8, but apparently the new Typ numbers are now the way to determine the age of an M Typ camera. So we now know the M246 is a newer model of the M240, it's easy to work out if you know the system used. So much clearer than M10 or MM-2

Steve

Edited by 250swb

apparently the new Typ numbers are now the way to determine the age of an M Typ camera.

I’m afraid you’ve got that wrong. To find out about a models age you would need to determine when it was introduced and the Typ number won’t tell you that, much like knowing some camera was an M3 or M6 would not tell you anything about its age without looking up the introduction dates of those models.

Having said that, it is true that between two cameras sharing the same designation (i.e. M, M-P, M-E, X Vario, T, Q etc.), the one with the higher Typ number will have been introduced after the other. Not like the M1 and M3 where the M3 came first.

Edited by mjh

• 6 months later...

I’m afraid you’ve got that wrong. To find out about a models age you would need to determine when it was introduced and the Typ number won’t tell you that, much like knowing some camera was an M3 or M6 would not tell you anything about its age without looking up the introduction dates of those models.

Having said that, it is true that between two cameras sharing the same designation (i.e. M, M-P, M-E, X Vario, T, Q etc.), the one with the higher Typ number will have been introduced after the other. Not like the M1 and M3 where the M3 came first.[/.

I still would like to know what exactly the numbers following (type) actually mean ?

Edited by Andykcole

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
12 minutes ago, Steve Strac said:

What specifically does Typ 240 and Typ 246 mean (origin of the designation).  Does anyone actually know?

😉 see post #36

and best of the answers at post #37

On 2/27/2016 at 2:06 AM, mjh said:

They don’t mean anything. But then I have explained this a couple of times before.

Naming is only to distinguish things.

Edited by a.noctilux