X Vario macro options

goatsby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was wondering if anyone here has tried to push the macro capabilities on the X Vario, i.e. close up lenses, macro ring flashes, or any other such devices. I have been using the X Vario on its macro setting quite a bit and have been enjoying it, but thought a ring light would help fill-in some of the smaller flowers, and maybe a close-up lens would get me in closer. Any thoughts or other curious experiments?

You can also look at this thread here on the forum:      Q&D Coin photography with X Vario    . It provided me some inspiration. Elsewhere I learned that one can obtain an appropriate step-up ring from B&H Photo and find Elpro achromats as they appear on eBay. For the few times that I have used this setup, I have been extremely pleased. Hope this helps.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You may want to have a closer look here: http://www.waloszek.de/lxv_closeup_summ_e.php (and on accompanying pages).

But I did not test any flash options, only close-up lenses and achromats.

Best regards, Gerd

Here are some sample photos: http://www.waloszek.de/lxv_closeup_00_e.php

Edited by waloszek

• 1 month later...

Just posted a couple of macro shots taken with the XV plus stacked Leitz Elpro VIb 4.92 diopter achromatic close-up lenses;

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249453-iwc-caliber-89/

The XV plus Elpros continues to be my most used Leica macro tool … it's a very versatile camera and was/is undeserving of all the negative comments … especially from those who have probably never used it. 

Grab a bargain new XV from the dealers now offering over £700 discount on the original selling price. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Cheer dunk

They are excellent images of a superb clock element.  :)

Personally I use two close-up Raynox 150 and 250 (diameter 43 mm) on my X Vario to make a little macro images.

I am very satisfied with these close-up.

Guy

Edited by Guytou
  • Like 1

Cheer dunk

They are excellent images of a superb clock element.  :)

Personally I use two close-up Raynox 150 and 250 (diameter 43 mm) on my X Vario to make a little macro images.

I am very satisfied with these close-up.

Guy

Raynox are excellent but the Leitz  Elpros and Leitz Macrotars (identical to the Elpros) can be sourced very much cheaper … one UK dealer who buys at auction and thus probably accidentally acquires them in mixed lots, can't be bothered to list them at the usual going rate of £20 to £35 and he sells them for £5 - £10 each … sometimes two for £10!!  Seek and you will find .. but will need home-made or custom made adaptors to fit the XV's 43mm filter thread. Easy to make adaptors by utilising a 43mm stepping ring and gluing / epoxying a Series VI (M44 thread) Elpro onto the front. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire