Happy Birthday to my Leica DMR

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Doug, Olympus's remark (March 2009) on the number of pixels is still valid in 2015 .

"12 MPx is enough for most folks"

http://www.cnet.com/news/olympus-12-megapixels-is-enough-for-most-folks/

The Leica M8 (10MP) always done beautiful pictures especially in b&w  !

Another proof , the output of the A7S (12.2 Mpx)  :)

You said pixels race ?

Best

Henry

Unfortunately the bar has been raised.  One of the agencies I'm working with has minimum pixel dimension requirements which means I have very little leeway for cropping.  More pixels-per-duck will be handy.

• Like 1

Use larger Ducks.

:D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I wonder how many other digital imaging devices have survived 10 years with the admiration, appreciation and following that the DMR has?

Johnnyj

One I can think of is the MK1 Canon 5D which is 11 yrs old.  In fact I daresay it has a much larger following than the DMR.  New batteries are still readily available, and although Canon recently stopped repairing it, most of their authorized independent repair shops still do.   Not that anything major would be worth paying to repair, given there are lots of working one's out there for about $500 or so.  I have 2 of these, one was a nearly-new refurb bought for $1300 in 2009, and the other a well-worn but perfectly functioning one for $700 in 2013.  (Originally they cost $3200).

Hello everyone,

Yours must have been one of the earliest "born" Thorsten and I'm delighted to hear about its 10th birthday. Mine will be 10 in October.  I continue to be really pleased with the images it produces but it certainly seems to have put on weight over its life!!!   I have 5 batteries, three from the time I got it have been re-celled by Michael Bass and I think I must have got in just before Charlie cleared the remaining UK stock to get what may have been the last two from that well know Scottish dealership. All are going well, touch wood!

For the present, I'm enjoying using it whilst I can...

Best wishes,

Graeme

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My only regret about the DMR is not acquiring one sooner.

Rolls Royce Phantom 

Leica R9/DMR, 21-35R 

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Still enjoying mine. I'm looking at battery and power options now. Does anyone use an external battery like a Quantum?

(DMR, 80mm Summilux R)

Still enjoying mine. I'm looking at battery and power options now. Does anyone use an external battery like a Quantum?

(DMR, 80mm Summilux R)

I have a Michael Bass 'Quantum 1 battery to DMR adaptor' .. he can provide at least two types e.g. for the Quantum 1 and Quantum 2 … options are listed on his website http://michaelbass.blogspot.co.uk

dunk

• Like 1

(DMR, 80mm Summilux R)

Peter,

You can get your DMR batteries re-celled, providing the controller chip is ok. I have used Michael Bass in the USA and LUF user Marac in the UK. Both have been fine, although the battery cosmetics may not be as good as before. Alterbatively here is the solution posted on the official Leica camera website

MY DMR BATTERY IS DEFECTIVE, WHAT TO DO NOW?

New Leica DMR batteries will not be manufactured. Existing batteries can be repaired by following

McAkku                                             or                                         REW Elektronikgeräte-Verwertung

Battery Repair                                                                                

Frank Zemisch                                                                                Manfred Wilhelm

Gaustraße 75                                                                                 Kleefeldstraße 10                                                                                                                

D-55116 Mainz                                                                               D-06679 Muschwitz OT Pobles

Phone:+49(0) 6131-5530237                                                            Phone: +49(0) 34441-23724

mainz@mc-akku.de                                                                         info@akku-defekt.de        

www.mc-akku.de                                                                           www.akku-defekt.de

Shipping worldwide                                                                         Shipping only in Europe

Die above mentioned companies can exchange the battery cells and therefore restore its original capacity.

Should the battery’s electronic or housing be damaged a repair will not be possible. Please be so kind to send the battery directly to the corresponding company, who will handle the process and the invoicing.

• Like 1

If sending batteries through post via Royal Mail take package to Royal Mail depot to avoid the obligatory Post Office inquisition / declaration ref contents. Post Office may refuse the package if it's a battery not inside an appliance … Royal Mail depot in my experience never ask … but you will have to declare contents if going overeas  … thus best to declare as 'camera accessory' . Don't mention or declare as a battery. 

dunk

• Like 1