Shutter count

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there!

I was wondering if any of you know how to check the shutter count on the T.

I'm selling my camera and even tho is like new, I've been asked a few times how many clicks it has..

Any help would be much appreciated!

C. 

I haven't bothered to look yet and I'm on vacation without my laptop but if it were me, I would take a handful of images and then look inside the dng file at RawDataUniqueID and see if it something simple encoding you can use to figure that out. The DNG file specification is right here and it is something cool to look at http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf

• 3 months later...

I believe that if it it existed it was going to be part of what is encoded "Raw Data Unique ID".

I've been playing with exiftool poking at my files and from what I can tell the some sort of time based encoding is used and it doesn't contain the shutter count. When I look at the hexadecimals, there is part of it which seems to identify the camera and there is part of it which seems to be correlated with the time that the image was created. So several shots taken very close to each other in time have unique id's that are close to each other in encoding. I haven't cracked the whole code yet but it looks algorithmic to me not something that is based on a random number generator or anything like that.

One thing that might be worth considering with modern digital cameras is shutter count really a good proxy for age? In the film days when you took a picture the film had to advance which slightly wore the film transfer mechanisms as well as the shutter. Of course shutters do wear out eventually but they are just one assembly which can be replaced when the camera is serviced.

The things that age in a digital camera:

1. shutter - let's assume something like 100,000 frames which is half of their expected lifespan on the SL. For me at about 1500 shots/month on this camera that would be about 5.5 years.
  2. The battery but that is easily replaced
  3. microswitches that activate buttons like the shutter release and control wheels. I'm sure that these fail occasionally but I've never heard of it.
  4. Flash storage. Of course if you use a SD card that will wear instead of the camera's internal flash storage. Which will mostly age slowly due to storing metadata for the camera and firmware updates.
  5. The M9 had that time and humidity based sensor corrosion problem but will the T's sensor fail like that?

So what really limits the life of a modern camers? It seems like these days mostly it is relative position in relation to other released technology. But if the camera continues to take good pictures in the situations that you want to capture does that really matter?

Other than shutter count what does indicate a camera's age?

• Like 1

My much loved Oly XA sits in a cabinet, heavi(n)ly scratched, dented and fungified. My d-lux starts to look the part as well, alas minus the fungi. One day it will join the XA. A month ago i made the first scratch on the bottom of my T. :(  i think these are the signs of age that add to the monetary devaluation of a camera. For me it is a showcase of joy in use and memorabel experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you becoyote !!

I wish there was an easier way to look it up, like on the M8 / M9.

I'll try to find out a bit more thru the link!

Cheers.

I had been using the M9Info application, and checked it on a Leica T file.  Got part of the information, including the shutter count:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can download the app here: http://www.soens.de/software/m9info/m9info.html.

I had been using the M9Info application, and checked it on a Leica T file.  Got part of the information, including the shutter count:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-13 at 9.28.02 AM.png

You can download the app here: http://www.soens.de/software/m9info/m9info.html.

I do not think this is right. I tried it on a few T files and it showed 378 for all of them and then it crashed.

• Like 1