CCD Sensor - New Leica Information about the State of Development

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I just found an used M9 at nice price from a guy that he declared the sensor was just replaced by Leica, I wonder what sort if documents or means could prove that? Is it the debug menu still show the shutter count before the replacement?

Is it any side issue after the replacement?

Thanks a lot.

Check the firmware. If it is 12.0.4 it is the new sensor.  The guy should have the paperwork, though, and you could try and check with Leica. as for shuttercount, the hexadecimal Unique Image ID in Exif on the last image is the shutter actuation count.

• 1 month later...

Check the firmware. If it is 12.0.4 it is the new sensor. The guy should have the paperwork, though, and you could try and check with Leica. as for shuttercount, the hexadecimal Unique Image ID in Exif on the last image is the shutter actuation count.

Yes ,the firmware version confirms it, and the sensor replacement process leaves the existing shutter count intact.

(Edited accidental quotes)

Edited by m0n0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've finally got mine M9 yesterday after 3 weeks of repair in Wetzlar. Firmware is now 1.210. I'm surprised.

Surprised about the 3 weeks (I am !!) or the firmware version ? The new firmware (1.201) includes support for the new Summaron lens.

Edited by ianman

• 2 months later...

It is well documented on all sensors. Transpolar flights are particularly harmful. As the energy content of cosmic radiation is dependent on the incidence angle, I have the (perhaps foolish) idea that carrying the camera vertically will provide target size reduction.

About this cosmic radiation; Domke used to sell a X ray protection bag for film. Do flying with camera in one of this bags would help against this radiation? 

• 2 months later...

About this cosmic radiation; Domke used to sell a X ray protection bag for film. Do flying with camera in one of this bags would help against this radiation? 

If gamma rays are the culprit, shielding won't help. Astronauts on long-term missions are subject to this and IIRC, as a result will have a higher incidence of cataract formation (and perhaps cancer) as they get older.

It might help if it was lined with something like soil, about 2m thick. Apparently water is even better and need only be a few centimetres thick/deep.  :)

In light of this new information from Leica in decided to test mine and shot a white wall stopped down. In addition to sensor dust (which is more diffuse and blurry) there's these little, pure black almost 'pinhole' marks on the sensor. They're all black and very sharp and don't look like normal sensor dust.

I've sent the pic with a note to leica in NJ. Well see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camera Clinic have confirmed sensor corrosion, and offered to either replace the sensor for free (yay!) or upgrade to a M240 for about AUD $4800.  That would be really attractive if it didn't mean giving up my M9.  So, sensor replacement it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That was nonsense, it was  advised by a corrosion-panicked Leica employee, and quickly retracted; the old sensor was supposed to be wet cleaned if needed too.

This is the cleaning protocol from the FAQ:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216580-leica-m8-m82-m9-m9p-mm-mtyp240-faqs-questions-with-answers/?p=2464057

• Like 1