CCD Sensor - New Leica Information about the State of Development

Leon_B.

NJ has my M-E for the duration.

When I had a 9 upgraded to P (2 yrs ago?) they replaced the sensor, which is currently perfect.

Back up body... grateful I was able.  Love these cameras.  Their limitations may have made me a better shooter!

• 2 weeks later...

Procedure for M9 sensor evaluation-replacement?

I realize I am very late following this topic, but could experienced M9 users tell me the process to follow, to have an M9 (my son's, in Berlin) sensor evaluated and hopefully replaced by Leica?

In June 2015, staff at the Berlin Leica store told him to bring in his M9 for a quick check by their staff, when they would decide if his sensor problem qualified for the replacement program, and if so they would send it to the factory to join the wait list for a new sensor.

When he brought in his M9, the same people told him their store had nothing to to with the process, and he was responsible to take-send his camera to the factory to be evaluated, and possibly serviced.

What is the official and proper procedure to follow? Your advice is appreciated..

I realize I am very late following this topic, but could experienced M9 users tell me the process to follow, to have an M9 (my son's, in Berlin) sensor evaluated and hopefully replaced by Leica?

In June 2015, staff at the Berlin Leica store told him to bring in his M9 for a quick check by their staff, when they would decide if his sensor problem qualified for the replacement program, and if so they would send it to the factory to join the wait list for a new sensor.

When he brought in his M9, the same people told him their store had nothing to to with the process, and he was responsible to take-send his camera to the factory to be evaluated, and possibly serviced.

What is the official and proper procedure to follow? Your advice is appreciated..

Does it have spots?  Best way to check is to put a standard or wide lens on it, stop down to the smallest aperture and shoot a picture of a clear sky.  If there are no spots, then the sensor is not corroded.  If there are spots, look closely for  a white edge around them.  If there are white edges, it MIGHT BE corrosion, and he should send it to Leica.

My M-E had a corroded sensor from new, and I should have it back in about a month with a new sensor.  My almost 3-year-old M Monochrom had what appeared as corrosion, but it was just an oil stain.  Leica cleaned it, the stain returned in the same place a few months later and it is back, being checked again.  Leica's initial inspection revealed it was another (the same?) oil stain and they are again cleaning rather than replacing the sensor.  We shall see.

My question is about the official PROCESS to follow to get a Berlin M9 checked (where, by whom, who pays for what?) and possibly serviced if some Leica person approves (Berlin dealer, Berlin technician, factory?). The technical issue is well documented.

Does anyone know the process to follow, in Berlin?

Call CS and ask them to arrange a pick-up. They will mail an UPS label and a phone number to call.

• 3 weeks later...

Does it have spots?  Best way to check is to put a standard or wide lens on it, stop down to the smallest aperture and shoot a picture of a clear sky.  If there are no spots, then the sensor is not corroded.  If there are spots, look closely for  a white edge around them.  If there are white edges, it MIGHT BE corrosion, and he should send it to Leica.

My M-E had a corroded sensor from new, and I should have it back in about a month with a new sensor.  My almost 3-year-old M Monochrom had what appeared as corrosion, but it was just an oil stain.  Leica cleaned it, the stain returned in the same place a few months later and it is back, being checked again.  Leica's initial inspection revealed it was another (the same?) oil stain and they are again cleaning rather than replacing the sensor.  We shall see.

I have had to clean a couple of oil stains off my MM sensor as well. No corrosion though.

My M9 remains clean with the obvious exception of the normal grunge that accumulates throughout the year.

I have had to clean a couple of oil stains off my MM sensor as well. No corrosion though.

My M9 remains clean with the obvious exception of the normal grunge that accumulates throughout the year.

Turns out its corrosion after all.  I got the M-E back last week with a new sensor, checked with  35 Summarit at f/16 and no marks.

M Monochrom was supposed to be back with a cleaning on 9/10, but a call to Leica NJ revealed that they are replacing the sensor and should be back by 10/30.

My M-E is in for sensor repair at NJ and told to expect up to 3 months. Already been offered the upgrade. Talked them into a loaner and was sent the M240.

Now what to do? Wife likes the CCD files. My very short time with the M240 I've learned quickly to appreciate all the obvious updates, shutter, buffer, DR, ISO.

Wife has suggested buying a used M9 while mine is away. But the used on a very condition model is the same as the upgrade price to the M240 or M-P.

What to do.....

Well, now with new updated sensor free of problems, I wouldn't buy the M240. It's gonna be replaced soon anyway.

That's what I did. My M9 will arrive from Wetzlar in a few days and I will use it until it dies. Only then I'll buy a new model. I suspect it will take me at least 5 years since the updated ccd is brand new and should now have any problems. Glad I kept the M9.

• 2 weeks later...

Although "Sensor replacement for M Monochrom models will also begin shortly. We will inform you of the precise date of this as soon as possible." was stated in the last press release about the new sensors, it seems that now is being pushed out to probably next year as per some Leica´s customer service comments.

Anybody with consistent information on the availability of the new upgraded MM sensor?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Contact them first for lead times. You can still use your camera whilst they are waiting for sensors.

Exactly.  My M9MM needs a new sensor and I have been in communication with the head of Leica Service in New Jersey.  Was told yesterday that they expect a batch of sensors in a week or two and that he will set one aside for me and let me know to send my camera in.