CCD Sensor - New Leica Information about the State of Development

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That was nonsense, it was advised by a corrosion-panicked Leica employee, and quickly retracted; the old sensor was supposed to be wet cleaned if needed too.

This is the cleaning protocol from the FAQ:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216580-leica-m8-m82-m9-m9p-mm-mtyp240-faqs-questions-with-answers/?p=2464057

Great, thanks

www.robertpoolephotography.com

• 2 months later...

My M9 Monochrom has been there waiting for sensor replacement since May! I get a different answer every time I call.  Is this normal? All other repairs I have done over the years have been acceptable time periods and generally great service. This particular repair..., not so much. Cheers--lt

I sent my M9 to NJ in June, and after they acknowledged receipt I never heard anything else until UPS notified me it was on the way back. Got it back last week with new sensor and otherwise like new. I expect they put higher priority on the M9 sensor over the monochrom due to the larger number of customers, but I would expect your Monochrom won't be far behind.

The communication from NJ could certainly be improved. An on-line repair status site would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I sent my M9 to NJ in June, and after they acknowledged receipt I never heard anything else until UPS notified me it was on the way back. Got it back last week with new sensor and otherwise like new. I expect they put higher priority on the M9 sensor over the monochrom due to the larger number of customers, but I would expect your Monochrom won't be far behind.

The communication from NJ could certainly be improved. An on-line repair status site would be appreciated.

actually my Monochrom was back two weeks before the M9. I would say it is luck of the draw AKA sensor supply.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps this is one of the reasons they don't improve the service.

Getting accustomed to poor/slow service? You may well be right...

In this particular case however - and notwithstanding the fact that this whole sensor issue shouldn't have happened in the first place - I understand that you can't train a bunch of newbies overnight to perform a relatively complex operation such as a sensor replacement. And even if you could, what would you do with them once the peak in sensor replacement workload has gone?

So, yeah, not happy at all about the situation (or the arm-twisting that was required to ensure that the MM sensor would be replaced...), but the wait was somewhat shorter than I expected given the circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

After 4 months... mine was returned fixed yesterday.

both happy .. and a little  disappointed.

The camera I sent in had significant use.. lots of bronzing... I *really* use a camera, and feel that the cosmetic is just a sign of usage

What I got back was a brand new M9. (ser # top looks worn like the other.. but the entire camera is spotless... not a scratch, blemish anything.  I'm  pretty sure there's some guy in RMA figuring that the person getting the camera back would just *love* a brand new camera :D :D

Just looks like I need to start using it again !

(oh.. they kept my black dot as well... have the red one back again... )

Edited by jimcollum
  • Like 2

from what i understand, the free replacement programme ended august 31st.

it is now no longer possible to get a free replacement of your corroded CCD.

instead leica has a replacement/upgrade programme.

i found some -perhaps not up-to-date information here:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/07/leica-updates-ccd-sensor-corrosion-upgrade-pricing-sl-typ-601/

from what i understand, the free replacement programme ended august 31st.

it is now no longer possible to get a free replacement of your corroded CCD.

instead leica has a replacement/upgrade programme.

i found some -perhaps not up-to-date information here:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/07/leica-updates-ccd-sensor-corrosion-upgrade-pricing-sl-typ-601/

As I understand the policy, that is not entirely true. Original owners are eligible for five years from date of purchase. So, for example, if you purchased in August 2014, you'd still have two years of eligibility. At least that's how I read the policy. 

https://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2017/CCD-sensors-of-the-Leica-M9-M9-P-M-Monochrom-and-M-E-camera-models

John 

Edited by johnwolf

Not a precise comparison, but having had my M9 back for about a month I'm very pleased with the replacement. Subjectively the images are equivalent - very M9-like compared to my other cameras. Of course, being without it for several months my memory of the nuances of the original may have faded. (Maybe that's why Leica takes their time with this service?)

• Like 1