Images from Kyoto

We came across this sign at Nijo Castle in Kyoto.

To this day I have no idea what is meant...

My guess is that it translates as "No graffiti".  I must add that I didn't notice any indiscriminate graffiti (tagging) in Tokyo or Kyoto, which enhances my impression that, to their immense credit, Japanese youth is far more respectful of its elders and its environment than its western cousins generally are.

Pete.

• Like 2

Meant to post this earlier, but, time flies, and there are none on me, I hope.

Pete at the Kyoto Leica Shop reading his birthday card.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

While waiting for Ritsuko's opinion, on the true meaning of the sign in my previous post, perhaps you could explain the following mystery to me.

I photographed the lady in the attached picture near our restaurant. It was hot, so I can fully appreciate that she sprinkles the water on the road to bind the dust. What I do not understand is the function of the roller in her hand...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Rgds

Christoph

• Like 1

While waiting for Ritsuko's opinion, on the true meaning of the sign in my previous post, perhaps you could explain the following mystery to me.

I photographed the lady in the attached picture near our restaurant. It was hot, so I can fully appreciate that she sprinkles the water on the road to bind the dust. What I do not understand is the function of the roller in her hand...

attachicon.gif150525_2_MP_0006.jpg

Rgds

Christoph

The water is to minimize the dust, and also lower the temperature. Also in Shintoism sprinkling water around the entrance of a restaurant is done as a sign of gratitude to the customers.

However, no idea why she is carrying the roller. Maybe possibly one of those sticky rollers for picking up dust from objects such as cushions or the bench by the door?

Edited by DigitalHeMan
  • Like 1

While waiting for Ritsuko's opinion, on the true meaning of the sign in my previous post, perhaps you could explain the following mystery to me.

attachicon.gif150525_2_MP_0006.jpg

Rgds

Christoph

Dust retardant of water is understood, but I think the roller is for paintint those stripes on the ground, leading into the restaurant! :D

• Like 1