"To be, or not to be, that is the Q" new article at overgaard.dk

Thorsten,  how was it that the M246 chose the 75 Summilux? Is your Noct on the shelf now?  ;)

No, but I just got the 75mm back from a long service. It's not an easy choice these weeks what to take with you with the M240, M246, Leica Q and different lenses (the 75mm and the 28mm is the new toys).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

"the big update"?

Yes - please do give detail. When? What extras will be included?

I know it is extra work for you, but I am always very interested to see the details of the images you present. On some of them you give the f stop and shutter but I would like to know more: did you have anything else other than default settings?; is this a jpeg or a raw image run through post processor?, if jpeg did you use default settings?. If that info is buried somewhere in your article as a global comment, I apologize. I do love many of your images and therefore are very interested to know, for example, if they came from the DNG or jpeg. 

Wonderful article - my first go-to reference. Thanks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Uh, please don't dream anything October 20 related into it. It's not. 

It's an expanded article about the lens design, the thoughts that went into the sensor and camera so as to make it what it is. And more use of the camera. 

Got it, Orguy. I will implement more info to the pictures. 

Yes - please do give detail. When? What extras will be included?

I know it is extra work for you, but I am always very interested to see the details of the images you present. On some of them you give the f stop and shutter but I would like to know more: did you have anything else other than default settings?; is this a jpeg or a raw image run through post processor?, if jpeg did you use default settings?. If that info is buried somewhere in your article as a global comment, I apologize. I do love many of your images and therefore are very interested to know, for example, if they came from the DNG or jpeg. 

Wonderful article - my first go-to reference. Thanks.

Orguy

Thorsten's images nearly always retain EXIF data, and I often save the image and examine the EXIF to get an insight into his excellent technique.    In his article about the Q, he does mention that he always shoots and processes in RAW and Lightroom is his friend.  You may even notice that he is happy with older versions of the program. 

I use a simple EXIF viewer on my iPad called ExifViewer .  There are others.

His selection of lenses greatly add to the quality of his results, as does his use of available light.  

hope that helps.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

I've done some minor updates of my Leica Q article before "the big update" coming a little later :-)

http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Q-Hemingway-digital-rangefinder-.html

Thorsten.

is it me? But aren't the images in the article sometimes out of synch with the text?  I'm enjoying matching images with titles.  Challenging but fun!  I know you mean well!

regards

gordon

Uh, please don't dream anything October 20 related into it. It's not. 

:lol: :lol:  Even though I have no doubts that Leica is not intorducing a new Q variant any time soon (considering it is struggling to meet the existing Q demand) your previous post still managed to tease me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for an excellent review / manual for using my Q.

I have had a few auto-focusing mistakes, like this one (I was being crushed at the time). If focused beautifully on the lady in the white shirt in the backgrough in the centre of the image rather than the wig and the tattoos.

c5AohE.jpg

Gosh, I thought that you had used the electronic shutter and that the picture was showing rolling-shutter effect!! 

My bad.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Discovered today that I can put the memory card from my M 262 in my Q and transfer photos to my phone with the Q app. Very nice and maybe something to add to your article Thorsten?

Super cool advice. I added that!

Joy thinks the Q is the coolest thing for selfies when she can remote control it from her phone. Good for training poses. And the idea to do the same with the Leica M's s great news.

• Like 1

Dosent the X-T1 have Wi-fi too?

Yes it does, 

Sometime a swap SD cards and this was just an observation.

I just wanted to underline that if you have pictures from other cameras (not only leica) on the SD card you can browse those from the Leica App through Leica Q.  (for those who have other systems than Leica). On my EM1 for example the photos made with Fuji X-T1 were always smaller, like a preview. 

Great review Overgaard, it is better than the manual and more pleasant to read and learn things.

Edited by Bjiork
  • Like 1

Thank you Thorsten, interesting and enjoyable review.

I've been tempted by the Q for it's functional capability but I really see it as a very high-quality, fast, fixed focal length 28mm lens camera.

28 and 50 are my most used FLs.  To me it's really a 28mm camera as the crop is significant and compromises the data available for a FF file by the time it gets to 35, and particularly 50mm.

Although it's called a Summilux, f1.7 sits between 1.4 and 2.0, so I don't see much advantage regarding speed over my 2.0/28 Summicron on an M.

Despite my preference for 28 & 50 I'd probably be much more tempted by a fixed focal length 35mm Q.

• Like 1

To me it's really a 28mm camera as the crop is significant and compromises the data available for a FF file by the time it gets to 35, and particularly 50mm.

Despite my preference for 28 & 50 I'd probably be much more tempted by a fixed focal length 35mm Q.

The 35 and 50mm crop does not compromise the quality of the DNG. It is only metadata readable by Lightroom. Totally reversible in post.

I suspect a 35mm Q probably would be bigger and heavier. At least the lens. But I agree. It would be nice.

• Like 1