"To be, or not to be, that is the Q" new article at overgaard.dk

Thanks Thorsten, great stuff. And the section on focussing really answers a lot of the questions I'd almost simultaneously posted in the Q section!

And by the way, if I may make a pedantic point, you often say in the article "borrow out" when you ought to be saying "lend". Aside from that microscopic quibble, an excellent article. Thank you. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Thorsten, great stuff. And the section on focussing really answers a lot of the questions I'd almost simultaneously posted in the Q section!

And by the way, if I may make a pedantic point, you often say in the article "borrow out" when you ought to be saying "lend". Aside from that microscopic quibble, an excellent article. Thank you. :)

Thanks Peter,

I'm aware that there are some errors. My usual help with spell-check, Joy, is on tour but I have some who have offered to look it through so it will be upgraded over time :-)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. I followed your instructions for setting it up with the iPhone and it worked!!

By the way this image in your review 

On live television. Member of parliament Søren Pind being interviewed live at election night in Denmark,

Shows some horrible colour banding which I presume is because it was taken in the electronic shutter range and with florescent lighting? I get the same issue with the Sony A7's when using the electronic shutter

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the info. I followed your instructions for setting it up with the iPhone and it worked!!

By the way this image in your review 

On live television. Member of parliament Søren Pind being interviewed live at election night in Denmark,

Shows some horrible colour banding which I presume is because it was taken in the electronic shutter range and with florescent lighting? I get the same issue with the Sony A7's when using the electronic shutter

Thanks, that is a good point. I had actually not noticed the source/banding myself, just that the colors were off. 

The rooms there were a interesting mix of florescent, television daylight lamps, television LED lights, projectors, LED color light and a few other weird things going on. 

I've updated the subtitle now and will add more on the electronic shutter that starts above 1/2000 second. I was waiting for Leica to get back on that one.

The new subtitle: "You will notice some banding that in part be explained by the electronic shutter under influence of the flickering from florescent light, the influence of LED light (both for televisiona and as special effect in the room)."

Thanks for noticing. 

Thanks Thorsten, for a great review. I'm now eagerly awaiting shooting with a"Q", once it is readily available. I do tend to agree with you about the M…. It is a camera which by virtue of its manual focus, true rangefinder capability, and array of fast and compact lenses - lends itself to a more contemplative photographic process. Almost meditative, I would say.

I do wonder which features of the"Q" we shall be seeing in the next generation of Ms to come. But from what I can see, it seems to be a terrific roadmap ahead…..!

• Like 1

Sorry to be pedantic but 'fluorescent' is the spelling, at least in the UK – although the 'florescent' alt may revail in the Staes (?).

Actually I though it was a pretty good effort as spelling never was my strongest point. I'm afraid that I am typical product of an expensive private (UK) education where actual learning seemed to be a long way down the list :D

Edited by viramati
  • Like 2

Thank you for an excellent review / manual for using my Q.

I have had a few auto-focusing mistakes, like this one (I was being crushed at the time). If focused beautifully on the lady in the white shirt in the backgrough in the centre of the image rather than the wig and the tattoos.

c5AohE.jpg

Having been using an M for some years, there is a little bit of adjustment needed, but overall the main point you make that agrees with my experience is that the Q is perfect a "no accessories" camera that you can simply pick up and go.

• Like 1

Thank you for an excellent review / manual for using my Q.

I have had a few auto-focusing mistakes, like this one (I was being crushed at the time). If focused beautifully on the lady in the white shirt in the backgrough in the centre of the image rather than the wig and the tattoos.

c5AohE.jpg

Having been using an M for some years, there is a little bit of adjustment needed, but overall the main point you make that agrees with my experience is that the Q is perfect a "no accessories" camera that you can simply pick up and go.

Were you on multi-spot focus or single-spot?

Thorsten, thank you very much.  The most practical Q information yet published.  I have already implemented some of your suggestions.   I had already set one AF point but didn't realize I could move it.  (Setting one AF point negates many of the disadvantages of AF vs MF as at least you know what is being focused on; this is true for all AF cameras).  Using multi point exposure was not something I had contemplated but I am now trying it out.  Your description of the Q as a great reportage camera to me is spot on.    

• Like 1

An excellent review Thorsten, thank you. I read the review in two sessions but I don't recall any mention of what you thought about the camera's manual focus abilities.

With regard to a future 'mini-M', my version of such a camera would not be of Leica CL size but more the size of the current film M. 

Mike.

• Like 1