Q - EVF issue?

the coating is not thick enough for scratches ;)

The reason I say coating is: I once had a Breitling watch which, as watch enthusiasts will know, comes with double coated glass (inside and outside). I had those marks on the glass and I was able to polish them off together with the remainder of the coating. The glass was clear afterwards (and I ended up getting a new glass because those coatings where there for a reason)

The EVF of the Q shows those purple'ish reflections typical for coated glass 

just my 2c

Edited by bernie.lcf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've played with the Q twice, once at the Leica Store in San Francisco just after launch, and again yesterday at the Leica Store in Seoul, Korea.

The EVF on the first camera was gorgeous and perfect in every way.  No color casts, nice and sharp when the diopter was set to my vision.  The second camera was off.  I could set the diopter as close as possible, but never get a clear image and everything bright had a purple tinge to it, not unlike chromatic aberrations in a poorly corrected lens.  I know it wasn't me, as I had my X 113 with me and the EVF is perfect on that one.

After 2 days of using the Q i recognized scratches on the EVF. I wear glasses...

Looks like a big design fault. A bit annoying for this price tag...

I wrote to customer care about that issue. They told me to forward my message

to the productmanager....

I placed a fitted screenprotector sheet on the EVF to protect it from further scratching.

But this results in reflections by looking through the EVF...

I wonder if this is an anti-reflective coating that is easily damaged. I have a Tag Huer watch that when new had an anti-reflective coating on the face which after a few months looked like the it was getting scratched but now has totally worn off (watch is about 10 years old). Either way not good news if it can be damaged so easily as I am waiting for mine and wear glasses though ones without metal frames

Edited by viramati

After 2 days of using the Q i recognized scratches on the EVF. I wear glasses...

Looks like a big design fault. A bit annoying for this price tag...

I wrote to customer care about that issue. They told me to forward my message

to the productmanager....

I placed a fitted screenprotector sheet on the EVF to protect it from further scratching.

But this results in reflections by looking through the EVF...

I also asked the custumor care if it's easy to change the EVF cover glass. They told me that they have

to replace the whole EVF unit... If this is true i think it will be an expensive repair...

Hello,

I'm the OP on Dpreview that Louis forwarded.

I wrote to my Leica dealer about the problem and they said that they would replace the glass but could not do it straight away. They also reported the problem to Germany. I suspect they may be being a little optimistic as the glass / acrylic does not seem to be that easy to replace.

We will see....

Paul

From Facebook/Leica Q User Group, I also read about this issue about EVF coating is peeling off ...

Hence, I am also thinking about putting a screen protector onto the EVF....

But now wondering whether more coating will be peeled off if I removed the screen protector sheet from the EVF ....

A question to "noctua" (above), what did you mean by "reflection" by looking through the EVF? Please clarify.

Thanks ...

I have been using my Q nearly every day since it arrived and wear glasses all the time...Ive experienced none of this. 

I think we are blowing this way out of proportion. So we have just one person with the issue or does anyone else actually have this problem? 

Edited by digitalfx

From Facebook/Leica Q User Group, I also read about this issue about EVF coating is peeling off ...

Hence, I am also thinking about putting a screen protector onto the EVF....

But now wondering whether more coating will be peeled off if I removed the screen protector sheet from the EVF ....

A question to "noctua" (above), what did you mean by "reflection" by looking through the EVF? Please clarify.

Thanks ...

Well, you put another layer on the EVF. Even if the screen protector is non reflective its backside

is not. So you will recognize reflections of bright areas inside your frame when looking through

the EVF....

Scratches or reflections... what do you prefer? ;-)

I have been using my Q nearly every day since it arrived and wear glasses all the time...Ive experienced none of this. 

I think we are blowing this way out of proportion. So we have just one person with the issue or does anyone else actually have this problem? 

Indeed.

The EVF has a rubber housing, that is at least 1mm thick at the edge over the "glass" of the EVF. It is impossible to scratch it with eyeglasses.