Q batteries.

I'm using the Panasonic Lumix DMW-BLC12.  I can confirm that they work and are nearly half the price of the Leica branded ones.

Does the charger comes with the Q work properly with DMW-BLC12? Or do I need to purchase a Panasonic charger for this battery?

Thank you!

Does the charger comes with the Q work properly with DMW-BLC12? Or do I need to purchase a Panasonic charger for this battery?

Thank you!

They're all the same... use the chargers/batteries interchangeably.

Hi AlanJW, is this available via ebay?

This meaning the right angle plugs.   If you Google "figure 8 right angle plug" you will find many sellers, including Amazon.  They come in handy but in some European outlets you are better off with a cord because the outlet is inset and does not allow enough room for the adapter to hang down. This is difficult to know in advance unless you are returning to a known location so I also frequently carry a cord.

The Apple plugs are available separately in something that's called "Apple World Travel Adapter Kit" and sells for $29 at your favorite Apple store.

29,- buys you adapters for all countries including the US (I think there is only one kit and Apple sells this globally)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD837AM/A/apple-world-travel-adapter-kit

The cable (on the charger side) is an IEC60320 C7/C8... or simply "radio power cable" as we call it over here. Rather common and easily available should you loose it.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the past Ive always used the Apple power supply tip on my Leica Chargers (I have a dozen of these laying around the house, so keep two in my larger camera bag)...but the flip out plug is far better option for compact travel.

This is *brilliant* — thank you. What a great little hack. (Still wish the Q charged via USB, too ... hopefully they can make that happen with a firmware update — it really does make a difference when traveling.) 

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'd also like USB charging for the Q but guess it won't be in this model so I looked through Amazon and found this for £11.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014L5W9BC?psc=1.

Only got it today but it weighs in at 45g with supplied cable as opposed to 225g for the Leica charger and mains cable.  Less weight than the Leica one, which is useful if you are backpacking/travelling as every ounce counts. It's also very small too, less than 1/2 the size.

It works ok, just plugged into the USB2 connector on an old computer and it fully charged the new battery. Also tried it on the iPhone triangular UK charger with the Leica battery and it works fine too so fingers crossed it will do the job travelling around.

These tails of using cheap batteries reminds me of the chap who had bought a very expensive pro Canon camera and used a cheap battery from ebay or Amazon. Unfortunately the battery overheated and destroyed the camera. Canon refused to repair the camera under warranty and the chap was left with having to fund a new camera.

A lesson to be learn I think, there is a history of these cheapo batteries exploding or overheating.

Leica will certainly refuse to repair the Q if it has been misused, even possibly to the extent of using Panasonic batteries. Perhaps you should ask Leica.

The biggest question for me is why would you, after spending £2900 on a Q, want to put £10 possibly unsafe batteries in it?

• Like 2

With respect Phil, I know where you are coming from on this issue, but absolutely all lithium batteries carry risk and batteries stamped with the genuine Leica identification are not exempt. For that reason, nobody can categorically tell us which brand is safe.    Having used probably 50 genuine or third party batteries in my Canon, Sigma, Olympus and now Leica bodies over the past 12 years, I am one who is aware of lithium risks and accept them. I've also read the stories.   I just take care when selecting a supplier and when packing them, and I keep each battery separated from the next one when travelling.  I carry my batteries in hand luggage as advised by all airlines.

This should we - shouldn't we? argument has been raised on every camera forum, and while someone will be able to describe their bad experience, the rest of the users can't!  Remember also, that Leica batteries aren't recharged inside the camera. 

Ultimately, you will make a personali decision based on your personal aversion to risk in every decision you take.  There is no genuine statistic to guide us.  I tend to buy from sellers with large volumes of sales.   EBay, and Amazon don't make batteries, so evaluating suppliers is a question of personal experience, historic reliability and feedback.  All the batteries are manufactured in China and that includes Leica and Canon.   

Thats my personal take on the issue.  I've never paid £100 for an M9 battery, and I usually carry four (genuine, second-user, or clone) on my overseas trips in case I can't get to a power socket.  I only buy clones that charge correctly in the Leica charging unit.

I'm now carrying a spare clone for my Leica Q, although we know that the type of battery required for the Q is also sold for another Leica body and a Sigma body.  Cheaper, Yes!  Dangerous ?  Who knows?  

Hope that helps.

Edited by lucerne

I'm using a mix of cheap red dot and other batteries on the Camino in Spain each giving me approx 60 shots but including lots of review time - approx one battery charge a day but I keep a backpack full

Trying to extract value from your information, but I can only roughly guess what a cheap red dot battery is. Is it a genuine Leica battery, or a battery from Red Dot in London, which I would also expect to be a Leica battery.  If not, what are your cheap alternatives.  You must own at least one original, and 60 shots per charge is low, although 150+ should be possible.  I review every shot. But  If your non Leica batteries deliver the same performance as the non-Leica versions, then that's good. Isn't it? The low number just reflects your method of shooting and reviewing.

By the way, all the available batteries are most likely made in China, and the Panasonic Energy Wux Company factory in China is the major manufacturer for Leica, Panasonic and even Fuji.  No doubt that they make unbranded generic batteries as well.

Edited by lucerne

This kit (2 batteries plus charger) works well:  Amazon Wasabi Power

I've used Wasabi Power batteries in several devices without issue.

Interesting,  I followed the Amazon link and noticed a warning that this battery isn't decoded and won't display the remaining shots. Or do they mean "battery power remaining"?   Has that situation been changed?  All my clone batteries display both pieces of information.

Edited by lucerne

The Q doesn't mention remaining shots even with the stock battery.  It does display the battery indicator.  As far as I can tell it works the same with the Wasabi power batteries as it does with the stock battery.  I don't look at the battery indicator all that often.  When the camera warns that the battery is low I swap batteries.

Edited by marchyman
  • Like 1

Sorry.  I may have introduced some confusion surrounding battery issues.  As you correctly say, the Q doesn't indicate remaining shots on the current battery charge, but it does indicate remaining shots on the sd card.  When some clone batteries are used in certain bodies, the indication of remaining charge doesn't  work either.   However, the Q battery  clones I've used so far all support the remaining charge indicator and the Camera reports the remaining shots on the card.  Both of these indications appear on the LCD and the EVF.

In other words, the clones I've experienced maintain the same LCD & EVF screen information as the original battery supplied with the Q.  I think that is what people want to know before buying alternative batteries.

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding.

I don't think its possible to really list a number of remaining shots on the battery because that is going to depend on a ton of variables such as if your using the EVF vs LCD, how much time you spend reviewing each shot etc

Edited by lucerne

I have Panasonic, Leica and Wasabi batteries and can't tell any differences between any of them with regards to capacity etc.  This isn't to say all generics are good, I'm sure some aren't, but at least with the ones I have I notice zero differences in number of shots I tend to get, charging, heat etc.

I'd probably spend a few extra bucks for the Panny batter, and certainly wouldn't buy any more Leica branded ones, but the Wasabi seem to work in a pinch