Q batteries.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not received my Q yet, but have (perhaps stupidly) already picked up my required accessories, including an extra two official Leica BP DC12 batteries. 

I was wondering if anyone who already had a Q were already using a third party battery? I was considering from a reputable brand like Duracell (the DRPBLC12). I'm not very concerned about the lower capacity (950 mAh vs 1200), but I am concerned about a third party battery not showing how much power is left via the LCD, which I think is par for the course nowadays.

Thoughts or experiences?

Edited by Black

I'm using the Panasonic Lumix DMW-BLC12.  I can confirm that they work and are nearly half the price of the Leica branded ones.

+1

I also got a Lumix DE-A79 charger as I wanted one for my summer house.

I just received a Wasabi BTR-BLC12-JWP battery, $18.99 from Amazon. They are rated at 7.2V and 1400mAh for longer battery life. I haven't compared the run time yet, but they work fine.

I should have bought this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-BP-DC12-U/dp/B00BSBW1VG/ref=pd_sim_421_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ADBZC2NY9XTTG105XWH

Edited by digitalfx

I just received a Wasabi BTR-BLC12-JWP battery, $18.99 from Amazon. They are rated at 7.2V and 1400mAh for longer battery life. I haven't compared the run time yet, but they work fine.

I should have bought this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-BP-DC12-U/dp/B00BSBW1VG/ref=pd_sim_421_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ADBZC2NY9XTTG105XWH

I'm using the Panasonic Lumix DMW-BLC12.  I can confirm that they work and are nearly half the price of the Leica branded ones.

No problems with the Q displaying the remaining camera capacity then, I take it?

Do I need another charger also to charge the Lumix Panasonic battery? Or can I charge it with the one that comes with the Leica Q? Also does anyone know if I can charge the battery via USB? 

You can interchange the Lumix and Leica chargers and batteries.  I have done so without any issues.  I have a Leica VLux battery, the original Q battery, a Lumix charger and the OEM Q charger.  They all play well with each other.  Note, however, that while the battery specs are identical (7.2v 1200mAh 8.7 Wh) the specifications of the chargers are slightly different.    The output of the Leica charger is 8.4v at 0.65amp; the output of the Lumix charger is 8.4v at 0.43amp.  I have charged both batteries successfully with the Lumix charger;  I think the difference in amps simply means that the Lumix charger will charge slightly slower than than the Leica charger but maybe one of the engineers here can confirm that.  (I have not timed, and did not notice a difference but I was also not measuring).

The Lumix charger is DE-A79.  The Leica VLux battery is BP-DC12;  the Lumix battery is BLC12PP.

No USB charging as far as I know.  I don't think the USB voltage would be high enough anyhow.

• Like 1

A should be between 0,6 and 1C. C being the capacity, which in our case is 1200mAh. so, it should be charged with anything between 0,7A and 1,2A. Rule of thumb: less A = more cycles = longer life

(or so... it's been two decades, so my knowledge is a bit rusty)

There is also a Panasonic branded charger at B&H thats slightly cheaper than the Lumix. The advantage to the Panasonic and Lumix chargers in the US is that the power plug is built in and flip out style. So if you carry it in your case or traveling its 1/2 the space as you don't need a cord.

So if you carry it in your case or traveling its 1/2 the space as you don't need a cord.

Yes, but that's strictly US only and pretty much useless outside the US, Canada and a few Asian countries that use the same plug.

Everybody else will get a huge dongle thing that makes the charger L shaped and a real pain to store and carry. In other words: we others very much prefer the cord solution... :)

There are very small, light and cheap US-International adapters. In fact I have a couple of  chargers that, upon checking, turned out to be US plug with an adapter slipped on in the factory.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes, but that's strictly US only and pretty much useless outside the US, Canada and a few Asian countries that use the same plug.

Everybody else will get a huge dongle thing that makes the charger L shaped and a real pain to store and carry. In other words: we others very much prefer the cord solution... :)

Yes, if you read my post I said "in the U.S."

Me too, $46 at B&H. Also got the Panasonic charger DE-A79B for $31 and a plate for the Watson dual charger for $2.00.

Edited by algrove

you loose the convenience which is the whole point about those chargers with the plug that can be folded in...

No folding in but no cords either, with these.  I have one for UK also.

In the past Ive always used the Apple power supply tip on my Leica Chargers (I have a dozen of these laying around the house, so keep two in my larger camera bag)...but the flip out plug is far better option for compact travel.

• Like 4