Leica Q or manual focus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am new to the world of Leica and would like to get a feel for my question. A bit of back ground, I am a Nikon user (D300) and also Fuji (X100). I have always wanted a Leica but have little or no experience with the brand. I have 'played' with the Leica Q and Leica M8.2. I want to try my hand at using a manual focus Leica. 

So, would a Leica Q, used in manual focus (nice to have the autofocus) suffice or would the combination of Leica M8.2 with a 35mm lens (this is the pre-loved Leica they have at the local boutique) be a better option. I have tried the Leica M8.2 with the manual focus and it is ok for me. This is my first time using a rangefinder or truth be told a manual focus (all these time spoilt by autofocus). 

Thank you. 

Hi,

The Leica Q is designed as an AF camera, but has MF override. It's not a rangefinder camera however.

The M8.2 is a proper Leica rangefinder, MF only! So if your desire is a 'traditional' Leica then the M8.2 is the better option, which also allows you to try a huge range of Leica and other makers lenses.

Be aware though that the M8.2 has a 1.3X crop (so a 35mm lens = 45mm) and you should also know that Leica can no longer replace the rear LCD screen should it ever break.

I would suggest that you need to decide what you want to use the camera for and if you're happy with a fixed lens model. What do you want from the Leica that your other cameras can't do?

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Basically I want to explore and learn more about photography and would like to try my hand at manual focus. My main use for my camera is travel and family and perhaps to try out some new genre like street. I looked at the Q just in case I don't get into manual focus. The Leica M8.2 with lens is being offered at the same price as the Q. 

I appreciate the D300 can be used for the purpose but I find it getting heavier (as I get older) and the manual focus on the X100 is not really the best in the world. So, since I have more time on my hands (having retired) I thought I give in to my want to having a Leica and perhaps use it to learn and appreciate photography. 

Thank you.

It boils down to do you want more than one lens?

If you are ok with only a 28mm lens, then the Q is hands down the better choice. The manual focus features of the Q are very well implemented. It is a pleasure to use in MF, but has the addition of AF when needed. It also has superior image quality, does not require IR filters , has more advanced tools and more.

If you need more than one lens, the M8 is the way to go.

Thank you all for the vote of confidence. Was suppose to receive the Q today, sadly no delivery on Leica side. It will be next week, but sadly I will be away. Will report more once I get the Q. Also ordered, the hand grip and the screen protector. Extra battery given free. :)

I was suppose to pick up my Leica Q this week but due to non delivery by Leica, I did not. I wanted to use it on my current holiday. Surprise surprise, while transiting in Hong Kong, I found out that Leica was having a promotion on the Leica T. Ended up with a Leica T Black and the 18-56mm lens. Looks like from having no Leica to having 2 Leica (Q to collect). Lots to learn on the Leica T.